Non-practising homosexual JW's

by Quillsky 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I'm what you would call a NPG.

I told the congregation overseer in my congregation back in the early 90's as he was a kind man.

He tried as best he could to help me & yes suggested I might try to get to know a sister with a view to marriage as intimacy with a female may not be as horrible as I imagined. IT WAS!!!

When this elder died I sought help from a couple of other elders & it was a complete waste of time. Their advice was more bible study, more FS, try pioneering etc.

They have not shunned me in any way & still try to encourage me to go to the meetings, which I do occasionally. I can't bear all the GB & FDS worship that's becoming more & more prominent of late.

Hoab

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

The ignorance regarding paedophilia and homosexuality isn't confined to JWs by an stretch of the imagination. I think it is an example of general ignorance of the matter in society as a whole.

HOAB - I know this probably won't help you but once I left the KH (OK I got booted), and the fear had subsided I realised it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I don't know how much contact you have with others in the same position but I did have the idea that being gay meant a sad and lonely life on the edges of society - it definitely doesn't but it can be a difficult journey out.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Heartofaboy- welcome to the forum!

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Hi zoiks, thanks for the welcome & advice on changing my gravatar.

Also Gromit I appreciate what you're saying.

Hoab

• esverdad
    esverdad

I think there should be an experience at the assembly about this. Then people in the congregation might actually accept the fact that they exist.

• bulgogiboy
    bulgogiboy

NPG? Isn't that a genre of computer game?? Only kidding, welcome to the board, and my advice to you is to get out of the jws now and start living whatever life you want to.

GromitSK: I hear what you're saying about bigotry against gays being endemic in society on the whole. People just don't want to deal with it. I found that a lot within the conservative Asian societies I worked in, particularly the ones where people had a strong religious ethic. Having said that, gay acceptance isnt exactly widespread in the UK, and it's one of the most secular and apathetic countries in the world. There is something about bum shenanigans which reviles a lot of people, regardless of their religion/lack of religion.

Can I just say, at the risk of sounding inflammatory, that although I am tolerant of homosexuality and wish no harm to anyone practicing it, I don't feel particularly comfortable at the thought of people of the same sex having sex with each other (and yes that includes pretty little lesbians ). I would never oppose gay rights, as I feel everyone should be allowed to live their lives as long as they don't harm anyone else, but deep down it's something I don't think is natural. I mean, biologically-speaking at least, it clearly is unnatural, unless anyone knows any men who have spawned kids from their poopenshaft hehe.

Isn't homosexuality, in some people at least, obviously an error/imbalance of hormones or chromosomes? It's undeniable that some people are born with physical defects (e.g. having two heads etc) so why can't people be born with hormonal defects? Why is that so hard for people to accept?

• shamus100
    shamus100
    I think there should be an experience at the assembly about this. Then people in the congregation might actually accept the fact that they exist.

I think Jehovahs Witnesses can continue to stick berries up their noses for all I care. They're a cult and they can be as backwards as they want - the more, the better.

Isn't homosexuality, in some people at least, obviously an error/imbalance of hormones or chromosomes

Try google. The year is 2010.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Hoab, Welcome!

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Hi Bulgogiboy

As I mentioned I am sure there are a number of reasons for homosexuality - I wouldn't doubt that some of it is hormonal but I would be surprised if 'box standard' gay men were hormonally any different from heterosexual men (perhaps there is some hormonal effect during gestation). By 'box standard' I mean gay men who don't want to be women as this is IMHO a different state, and do not exhibit any more feminine characteristics than your average heterosexual man (whatever one of them is). Your comment leads me to think that you presuppose that sexuality is binary - gay/straight - in fact I think it is accepted that sexuality is far more complex than that (apologies if I have misinterpreted your view). Sexual relationships, it seems to me, are about some form of relationship (however transient) between two (or more - kinky!) people and not necessarily just about two pieces of roughly compatible genitalia and their proximity to each other.

I wouldn't say that intolerance of gay people is widespread in the UK although it is certainly present in abundance in some segments of the community. As is just about every form of prejudice conceivable. When prejudice is expressed this is more about public behaviour than being being gay per se. I suspect most people never even give it a thought.

As for your own feelings, I guess you feel the way you do and that's all there is to it. I would ask you to think (if you haven't already!) a bit about WHY you feel that way. If another person's way of life or characteristics don't suit you then provided they aren't forcing you or other non-consensual parties to join in, why on earth do you even give it a second thought? Life is short - live your own:)

From my own opinion, in the absence of strong religious attachments, fear of difference is a big factor (I suspect we are wired to react that way to difference as a protection mechanism). I know members of my own family who are very racist. If you ask them why, they often don't have a rational explanation. I suspect it is because other races are different and difference makes us uncomfortable. I am uncomfortable with Transvestites, Drag Artists and Transexuality - I don't know why, I suspect it's difference again, however that's my problem and not theirs. Some of my own discomfort definitely comes from my not being able to imagine why they feel the way they do.

As for what is and isn't natural; I agree that we cannot bear children (at least the blokes can't without a certain amount of rearrangement of plumbing). Having said that, many heterosexual people have sex purely for pleasure with no intention of bearing kids, some are celibate (for lots of different reasons) and sex is also an expression of intimacy and love for many - whether or not they intend to procreate. You also appear to be assuming that straight sex consists of one part of a man's anatomy entering the approprate orifice of a woman - that is certainly how babies are made usually but it isn't the only form of sex performed by humans (whatever their sexuality). So just because a particular piece of your plumbing is good for one job, doesn't mean it can't be equally used for other tasks does it? (unless of course you have some sort of manual forbidding it, yes we all know a selection of purported manuals don't we?).

I would say this: it is not, for many, an easy way to live - at least when we are young. It is not, for many, a choice. My life would have been a great deal easier if I had been heterosexual. However I am what I am (you will have to hum the tune), and I now accept that. Others may not accept me and that's their problem unless they want to impose their views on me - that is why the law is so enacted (in the UK at least) to protect vulnerable sections of society from the prejudices of others.

Sorry for the rambling answer. I hope I didn't appear prickly about it because I think it is very honest to ask the questions you have raised. I speak only for myself and my own experience of course and not for 'my community' (whatever the hell that is).

Finally, with no personal disrespect intended, I am not interested in hearing what the Bible (or any other 'holy book') does or does not say on the matter either way.

• Open mind
    Open mind

bulgogiboy said:

"I don't feel particularly comfortable at the thought of people of the same sex having sex with each other (and yes that includes pretty little lesbians

"particularly comfortable"

How do you feel about asparagus? My wife and I love it. Our daughter hates it. But she doesn't feel "uncomfortable" about my wife and I enjoying the occasional green spear of vegetal goodness.

The thought of me having sex with a man is repulsive to me. Just like my daughter can't stand asparagus. I can't help it. But I'm not at all "uncomfortable" about my gay oldest brother doing it. The thought of sex with a woman is just as repulsive to him.

Maybe try thinking of gay sex as asparagus and you won't be so "uncomfortable". Just a thought.

"I don't think is natural."

Plenty of animals engage in homosexual behavior. Also, the very small percentage of non-procreating gays doesn't seem to be having too much effect on global over-population.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit