JW survey

by Halya 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Halya
    Halya

I'm writiing a thesis on JWs and am wondering if people with any connection with JWs - underground JWs, former JWs / 'apostates', inactive JWs etc would be willing to give me some feedback on these questions. No need for any personal details, but if you want to add some information about your experiences with JWs that would be appreciated.

If am interested in your answers to these questions:

1. What determines how you live your life?
    2. If your personal interpretation on a particular Bible teaching differs to how others in the congregation understand it, what is the correct procedure to resolve the issue?
    3. What kinds of qualities does a faithful Jehovah’s Witness have?
    4. What kinds of things does a person need to do to become this kind of faithful Jehovah’s Witness?
    5. What kinds of things would a faithful Jehovah’s Witness NOT do that people in other religions do?
    6. How much time do you consider a faithful Jehovah’s Witness needs to spend in studying the Bible and Bible literature each week to develop the abilities that help them stay faithful?
    7. How and why is Witnessing important in being a faithful Jehovah’s Witness and why do Jehovah’s Witnesses usually go witnessing in pairs?
    8. What do you think is the greatest danger to the spiritual life of a Jehovah’s Witness?
    9. How do you use literature to engage the interest and reach the hearts of the people you witness to?
    10. How do you handle opposition in your witnessing work?
    11. What is your greatest fear as a Jehovah’s Witness?
    12. Why do you think Jehovah’s Witnesses are growing so fast?
    13. What appeals to you most about being a Jehovah’s Witness?
    14. What do you think are the reasons for people not choosing to join the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ organisation?
    15. The Russian government authorities are trying to ban Jehovah’s Witnesses. Why do you think they are doing this?
    16. The Russian authorities have listed 34 Watchtower publications as ‘extremist’. Which Jehovah’s Witness teachings do you think they are objecting to?
    17. Many Jehovah’s Witnesses are currently suffering discrimination and persecution in Russia, China and Arabic speaking countries. What do you think the persecuted Jehovah’s Witnesses should do about this?
    18. Some people think that science has the potential to solve many of the world’s problems but scientists do not agree on scientific theories or research conclusions. Where do you think we can find scientific truth?
    19. Some people think the world is getting better – people are living longer; cures are being discovered for various diseases; we can travel further and faster, and communicate instantly all over the world. How do you respond to people who say there has never been a better time to be alive, despite the problems and challenges?
    20. Some people think that humanity should work to make life better for everyone by people learning to share, cooperate and make room for different lifestyles and beliefs. How would a world based on these principles compare with the paradise earth preached by Jehovah’s Witnesses?
    21. What do you think Jesus meant by his statement ‘you will know the truth and the truth will set you free’ (John 8:32)?
    22. How would knowing the truth help those whose lives are characterised by poverty, sickness, living in countries where there are wars, corruption, injustice, and oppression?
    23. How has your membership in the Jehovah’s Witness organisation affected your life in this world? If you are a convert, how does your life compare to what it was before you became a Jehovah’s Witness?
  • sweet
    sweet

What kinds of qualities does a faithful Jehovah’s Witness have?

-self control

-honesty

-trust

-loving

-respectful

-obedient

What kinds of things does a person need to do to become this kind of faithful Jehovah’s Witness?

-change their worldly ways (i.e. if they smoked, had sex out of marriage, live with the opposite sex without being married...etc...etc)

What kinds of things would a faithful Jehovah’s Witness NOT do that people in other religions do?

-WILL NOT CELEBRATE HOLIDAYS (because of pagan origins)

-NOT live with people of the opposite sex that they're not married to

-will NOT have sex outside of marriage

How much time do you consider a faithful Jehovah’s Witness needs to spend in studying the Bible and Bible literature each week to develop the qualities that help them stay faithful?

depends on the person..each person is different.

How and why is Witnessing important in being a faithful Jehovah’s Witness and why do Jehovah’s Witnesses usually go witnessing in pairs?

Witnessing is important because if it wasn't for Jehovah's Witnesses coming to their door sharing the good news of God's kingdom to them they would probably not have changed their ways and lived according to what God wants them to...so they become baptized because they want to and be able to share what they learned from the bible to other people so the people they witness to can have an informed decision whether or not they want to change their ways and serve God. Why do JWs usually go witnessing in pairs? because they are following Jesus's instructions as layed out in the bible when he had witnesses go out in twos in the new testament.

What do you think is the greatest danger to the spiritual life of a Jehovah’s Witness?

SATAN...he can come in many subtle forms...family...friends...colleagues...etc...etc...

Why do you think Jehovah’s Witnesses are growing so fast?

because people are tired of the hypocrisy that most religions have shown...so people are taking a chance and listening to what JWS have to say...what they are all about...and they experience for themselves that JWS are different from most religions because they see the love among fellow witnesses...they are actually teaching what the bible has to say...not what this person said or the other person...but what the bible actually does say about certain subjects.

What appeals to you most about being a Jehovah’s Witness?

different cultures, ethnic groups...that they're not afraid of using God's name...they share the good news of God's kingdom to anyone who will listen..bravery to go to a stranger and talk about God....that they share the good news in many different languages and in same literature as well...people can have bible studies anywhere at work, school, library, their own home...they adapt to people's schedules they can give a witness in 5 mins or less or more depending on the person they're talking to time.

• Halya
    Halya

Thanks Sweet for your response. I am sure many JWs feel the same way. I hope others will post their perspectives too.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Aren't most people on here ex-JW (at least in terms of their beliefs even if they still practise it)?

• Halya
    Halya

I am interested in all responses whether that person is a JW, ex-JW, underground JW etc.

• keeponthewatch
    keeponthewatch

1. What determines how you live your life? following bible principal and taking Jehovah`s point of view in everything i do.

2. If your personal interpretation on a particular Bible teaching differs to how others in the congregation understand it, what is the correct procedure to resolve the issue? pray to jehovah, study the bible more intensely asking jehovah for clarity, ask questions

3. What kinds of qualities does a faithful Jehovah’s Witness have? honesty, faithfullness, kindness, have self control, compassionate, humble, zealous, loving

4. What kinds of things does a person need to do to become this kind of faithful Jehovah’s Witness? Love Jehovah, Know Jehovah, Manifest your faith in Jehovah, study his word-the bible, share in the preaching work, attend christian meetings to learn more

5. What kinds of things would a faithful Jehovah’s Witness NOT do that people in other religions do? celebrate holidays, make god seem hard-hearted and unloving by sending people to torute in hell fire forever, take blood, use the cross, there are lots

6. How much time do you consider a faithful Jehovah’s Witness needs to spend in studying the Bible and Bible literature each week to develop the qualities that help them stay faithful? it depends on the person. As for me, I study every nigh--t for 30mins-hour.

7. How and why is Witnessing important in being a faithful Jehovah’s Witness and why do Jehovah’s Witnesses usually go witnessing in pairs? telling others about the good news of god kingdom is important as was commanded in matthew. also if you are passionate about something, you would naturally want to tell others about your passion! jesus talked a lot about the kingdom and as his followers we should imitate people and share the good news and give others a chance to know the truth.

8. What do you think is the greatest danger to the spiritual life of a Jehovah’s Witness? the influience of satans world is definetly strong, it can pull you in and seem inviting. not all people, music,movies,ect. are holy and can cause us to stumble. also satan uses tactic such as making us question ourself and create confusion and curiousity, which can cause us to doubt and leave the truth and step into the world.

9. How do you use literature to engage the interest and reach the hearts of the people you witness to? if i know of an article someone would be interested in, i would give them the publication and point out the article i though they would enjoy. or for example, a coworker of mine, is starting to read her bible ,she told me how she thinks jesus is such a good man and wants to focus on learning more about jesus. so i gave her a greatest man book.

10. How do you handle opposition in your witnessing work? when your witnessing to someone, its like there in a box and when they oppose or persecute you, they are not saying it to you, but saying it to jehovah.

11. What is your greatest fear as a Jehovah’s Witness?

12. Why do you think Jehovah’s Witnesses are growing so fast?

1 3. What appeals to you most about being a Jehovah’s Witness?

14. What do you think are the reasons for people not choosing to join the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ organisation? misconceptions

15. The Russian government authorities are trying to ban Jehovah’s Witnesses. Why do you think they are doing this?

16. The Russian authorities have listed 34 Watchtower publications as ‘extremist’. Which Jehovah’s Witness teachings do you think they are objecting to?

17. Many Jehovah’s Witnesses are currently suffering discrimination and persecution in Russia, China and Arabic speaking countries. What do you think the persecuted Jehovah’s Witnesses should do about this?

18. Some people think that science has the potential to solve many of the world’s problems but scientists do not agree on scientific theories or research conclusions. Where do you think we can find scientific truth?

19. Some people think the world is getting better – people are living longer; cures are being discovered for various diseases; we can travel further and faster, and communicate instantly all over the world. How do you respond to people who say there has never been a better time to be alive, despite the problems and challenges?

20. Some people think that humanity should work to make life better for everyone by people learning to share, cooperate and make room for different lifestyles and beliefs. How would a world based on these principles compare with the paradise earth preached by Jehovah’s Witnesses?

21. What do you think Jesus meant by his statement ‘you will know the truth and the truth will set you free’ (John 8:32)?

22. How would knowing the truth help those whose lives are characterised by poverty, sickness, living in countries where there are wars, corruption, injustice, and oppression?

23. How has your membership in the Jehovah’s Witness organisation affected your life in this world? If you are a convert, how does your life compare to what it was before you became a Jehovah’s Witness?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Instead of asking us to spoonfeed you, you could spend some time reading the various threads that already cover the subjects you are interested in.

There is a very good search function to help you.

Meanwhile, start here, Borg cubes will reach us in approximately 20 hours

Cheers

Chris

• teel
    teel

For some reason the formatting of your post is messed up for me (stuff like: "@font-face {font-family:Georgia; panose-1:2 4 5 2 5 4 5 2 3 3; mso-font-charset:") but I'll try anwering your questions anyway, because it seems only hardcore JWs answered so far, and you should have a balanced view. To tell you the truth some questions are pretty hard to answer for a non-hardcore JW, but I'll try my best, moreso because you're obviously a JW, so it's a rather interesting choice that you came here for answers. May I take a guess: are you from Bethel researching for a new book? Anyway, my answers, to the best of my ability, and please try not to use it to further the mind control. The people are weary and heavy laden already.

What determines how you live your life?

Internal moral code, mostly based on the Bible and personal experience as to what hurts someone's life (mine, or more importantly others').

If your personal interpretation on a particular Bible teaching differs to how others in the congregation understand it, what is the correct procedure to resolve the issue?

Pray and study the Bible alone, and let that be your guide. Human guidance can never be dependable, no matter where it comes from.

What kinds of qualities does a faithful Jehovah’s Witness have?

I'd say there's one common quality of faithful JW: they accept the Governing Body as the mouthpiece of God, and anything that they say, as coming from God. Many JWs are good people on their own, dependable, high moral standards, etc., but most were about as good before becoming a JW. The cult however introduces some negative qualities, often without the JW realising: when the cult is involved lying, hypocrisy and double standards are acceptable.

What kinds of things does a person need to do to become this kind of faithful Jehovah’s Witness?

Totally abandon critical thinking, and accept the written words of the WTS as the only reliable moral compass.

What kinds of things would a faithful Jehovah’s Witness NOT do that people in other religions do?

Investigate the source of his beliefs.

How much time do you consider a faithful Jehovah’s Witness needs to spend in studying the Bible and Bible literature each week to develop the qualities that help them stay faithful?

The more the better. It really depends how much critical thinking the person still has. Mind control is based much more on repetition instead of sheer volume, so regularity is more important than time spent. I'd say at least 30 minutes for a good daily brainwash is enough for most.

How and why is Witnessing important in being a faithful Jehovah’s Witness and why do Jehovah’s Witnesses usually go witnessing in pairs?

Making someone do tasks related to your object is one of the technique of mind control. It gives less time to think critically, and forces them to think as the group demands to. Pairing also enforces the groupthink, because of one's fear of being discovered having non-accepted thoughs.

What do you think is the greatest danger to the spiritual life of a Jehovah’s Witness?

Thinking.

How do you use literature to engage the interest and reach the hearts of the people you witness to?

Not applicable. However if I were to witness, I'd rely solely on the Bible, because that is the single source of truth.

How do you handle opposition in your witnessing work?

Not applicable.

What is your greatest fear as a Jehovah’s Witness?

That I will lose my wife to the cult.

Why do you think Jehovah’s Witnesses are growing so fast?

They don't grow fast at all. The overall growth is only very slightly above the human population growth. The vast majority of the baptized ones I knew were JW children. The growth is in fact very slow compared to the huge amount of resources they put into "reaching" others.

What appeals to you most about being a Jehovah’s Witness?

I liked having "friends" as a given. I realise it was not the correct thing to just have them for granted, friendship should always be earned, and not demanded, but I liked it nonetheless.

What do you think are the reasons for people not choosing to join the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ organisation?

The reasons are very varried. The vast majority don't know at all what JWs believe, and just don't want to be bothered by uninvited strangers. Who does know however, can easily look up what JWs are all about, and can easily find out that they fit perfectly in the description of "dangerous cult".

The Russian government authorities are trying to ban Jehovah’s Witnesses. Why do you think they are doing this?

Because of the actions. A person should always be free to believe whatever whacky thing chooses to believe, but if by actions they promote child murder (refusal of blood), or religious intolerance and hatred, that affects others negatively. That should be forbidden by law.

The Russian authorities have listed 34 Watchtower publications as ‘extremist’. Which Jehovah’s Witness teachings do you think they are objecting to?

Banning of blood, inciting religious hatred.

Many Jehovah’s Witnesses are currently suffering discrimination and persecution in Russia, China and Arabic speaking countries. What do you think the persecuted Jehovah’s Witnesses should do about this?

As I said above if the persecution is because of their acts then they should stop hurting others. If it's because of their beliefs they should remember Jesus' words about persecution.

Some people think that science has the potential to solve many of the world’s problems but scientists do not agree on scientific theories or research conclusions. Where do you think we can find scientific truth?

"Scientific truth" is oxymoron. Science does not deal with truths, only with knowledge. The "Truth" is a Watchtower concept, and has no place in science.

Some people think the world is getting better – people are living longer; cures are being discovered for various diseases; we can travel further and faster, and communicate instantly all over the world. How do you respond to people who say there has never been a better time to be alive, despite the problems and challenges?

That they are right :) I feel for the people having problems, but I wouldn't change my place for nothing in the world with someone, say from the 16th century, when my life expentancy would have been around 40 years, and most of the time I would most likely spend hungry and in pain from various diseases. (for the record I live in a second world country, I'm only a bit above the world's average)

Some people think that humanity should work to make life better for everyone by people learning to share, cooperate and make room for different lifestyles and beliefs. How would a world based on these principles compare with the paradise earth preached by Jehovah’s Witnesses?

The good things would be roughly the same (like no corruption, happy people, etc). However in the JW "paradise" there would be no place for diversity and freedom of thought. I'll rather take a short, but free life, than a long robotic one (if those were the only choices).

What do you think Jesus meant by his statement ‘you will know the truth and the truth will set you free’ (John 8:32)?

Freedom is when you are not bound by others' views, bound only by the love of God.

How would knowing the truth help those whose lives are characterised by poverty, sickness, living in countries where there are wars, corruption, injustice, and oppression?

This is a leading question. Naughty, naughty!

How has your membership in the Jehovah’s Witness organisation affected your life in this world? If you are a convert, how does your life compare to what it was before you became a Jehovah’s Witness?

It introduced a huge deal of mental and marital strain. I fight each day just to keep my belief in God, because often I am overwhelmed by the feeling that if God existed, He never would allow groups to slander His name in such manner. Also I fight to read and accept the Bible as the word of God, because after I've seen that immoral people can twist the words of God to mean whatever they want to mean, it's hard to accept it as a letter from God. My conversion pushed me nearly to the point of being atheist (I was a God fearing man before).

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome sweet!

Can I add my own question? If so, who is your mediator with Jehovah?

1 Samuel 2:25

25 If someone sins against a man, God will mediate for him, but if someone sins against the Lord , who can intercede for him?

Also, under which biblical covenant can you approach Jehovah?

Blessings,

Stephen

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I've cleaned up all the codes that made the thread so hard to read -- Lee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit