Return to Jehovah… No Return Address

by Marvin Shilmer 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Return to Jehovah… No Return Address

Today I read a small piece of poetic irony. I’m not going to advertise from what web forum I read this, but it was so astounding I had to share it somewhere.

Apparently there was a brief mistake made by Watchtower loading a brochure to its web site that is slated for release during the upcoming summer conventions. It was available for a moment and then taken down.

The title is said to be Return to Jehovah.

One of the commenters had this to say:

“I know it's for our safety that we don't associate with disfellowshipped/disassociated ones, as much as it helps draw lost sheep back to the fold. But wouldn't it be cool if in the future we were allowed to send this brochure to such ones? I would love to be able to so, even if I couldn't put a return address! Just knowing Jehovah is calling his lost sheep home makes me teary eyed.” (Underlining added by Marvin Shilmer)

So we have a brochure titled Return to Jehovah and we have a commenter glad they can send a copy to someone even if they can’t include a return address.

For sure there is irony in that comment. But somewhere, somehow, there is poetry to be found too. Not necessarily the happy-ending kind, but poetry nevertheless.

By the way, there is something dark and sinister about someone finding themselves in a position of volunteering “wouldn't it be cool if in the future we were allowed to send this brochure to such ones?

Sad as hell. Sad as hell. Sheeple being led to slaughter at the golden calf known as Watchtower.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

That is an interesting statement: "Wouldn't it be cool if we were allowed. . ." I've heard the same sentiment but worded differently throughout my lifetime.

You'd like to walk up to them and say "Do you know why you're not allowed to follow the pleadings of your own conscience? You're in a cult!"

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Also, was just thinking what's the real motive behind a "Return to Jehovah" brochure or campaign. . .

I wouldn't be surprised if after a one-time "outreach" to those who have left, they don't declare them all DFd or DAd saying, "We really tried to help them. We did the best we could."

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle
    I wouldn't be surprised if after a one-time "outreach" to those who have left, they don't declare them all DFd or DAd

There is always speculation that they are trying to push out or flush out inactive people. They are doing many things lately that make this seem more plausible.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

From that other website:

Table of Contents

A Letter From the Governing Body

1. "The Lost One I Will Search For"

2 Anxiety--"Hard Pressed in Every Way"

3 Hurt Feelings--When We Have "Cause for Complaint"

4 Guilt--"Cleanse Me From My Sin"

5 Return to "the Shepherd and Overseer of Your Souls"

Just showing that they can't acknowledge that someone could leave for a any reason other than being stumbled or guilty.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

There was talk on this forum recently about rumor of some change in Watchtower's shunning policy. This rumor was circulating prior to the premature release of this brochure, but it makes me wonder if there's not something to the rumor.

On the other hand, in my experience the slightest change in Watchtower policy is often treated like miraculous manna from heaven (in other words: overblown) by the JW rumor-mill. Hence, assuming whatever is behind publication of the alleged brochure does represent a policy change, more than likely its fairly inconsequential accept in the mind of the hardcore Watchtower-worshiper who lives and breaths on crumbs falling from the table of their god.

• sir82
    sir82

Wow - only available for a brief time yet someone was able to snag it.

The conspiracy-theorist in me makes we wonder if that was a set-up, an "inside job" to produce a leak.

Without seeing the brochure, I can't say what its purpose is. My guess would that it is designed to appeal to "inactive JWs" rather than the disfellowshipped.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Hmmmm.. . Interesting table of contents.

So here's how the conversation goes:

Elder: So which one of these three -- anxiety, hurt feelings or guilt -- is the reason you left?

Inactive Person: None of them.

Elder: Then you are an apostate. We'll read your name at the next meeting.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    Excellent B of C funny but authentic.
  • zombie dub
    zombie dub
    as much as it helps draw lost sheep back to the fold

Yea that works well!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit