Worldly friends on Facebook

by dgp 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• dgp
    dgp

Some people I know to be JW's have worldly friends as Facebook friends. I apologize for my ignorance, but, isn't this supposed to be socializing with worldlies? If so, it seems many JW's are simply ignoring what the WTS says. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you.

• asilentone
    asilentone

It could be their co workers, someone from High School, etc....

• asilentone
    asilentone

also worldly relatives

• hellohello
    hellohello

Hmm, networking purposes? I don't know. Personally, I don’t talk to most of the people I know on my facebook; they are just acquaintances’. However, you have to do what you think is the right thing (from reading the Bible), but don't judge/talk about others who have “wordly” friends.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

It appears to me that the younger ones don't follow the loving admonition of the GB as far as non witness friends and that pesky internet thing. I have seen future wannabe and baptized dub kids with 350- 400 friends. Nowhere near half are fellow dubs. Maybe hounders haven't figured out how to use FB, or they keep their pages private, but if I saw their friends, so could an ingenoius hounder.

I'll revert back to my first thought, they just don't care/listen.

• alanv
    alanv

It's really what Rick Fearon calls the conscious class. They are officially JWs but really do very little

to support the org. They are on the outskirts. Neither in or out.

There really does seem to be a lot that follow their own conscience even though it goes against what the society tell them.

• dgp
    dgp

Thanks, guys. Maybe the right conclusion to draw is that Facebook itself is sort of frowned on, and then having worldly friends could mean nothing or could mean a lot. It's a very ambiguous thing. However, most die-hard dubs wouldn't have contact with non JW's.

• jacquicortez
    jacquicortez

i have few fb friends that are JW's and i'm DF'd and they know i'm DF'd and actually requested

to be my friend...so i don't know. the funny thing is that i wasnt close to them when i was in...so i have no clue as to

why they want to be fb friends...i think it's just to be nosy and see just how far gone i am.

• greenie
    greenie

The interesting thing to me is that the majority of JWs that I know personally that have FB accounts don't publish their religion, whereas a lot of nonJW friends do. And these are JWs that are very active. It seems really strange to me for a group that focuses soooo strongly on making converts, going door-to-door, etc. and don't seem hesitant to knock on your door and tell you about their religion to not publish it on FB. Why do you think that is? It really has always confounded me.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

why they want to be fb friends...i think it's just to be nosy and see just how far gone i am.

I'm not df'd but thats why I ignore all requests from JWs. I don't want to be the hot topic in saturday's service group.

majority of JWs that I know personally that have FB accounts don't publish their religion

I've noticed this as well. Also, most I look around their wall and notice many of them wishing folks happy birthday and are members of group that are not very christ-like. And a many have df'd persons in their friend list and actively post on their wall (and I know these folks are not related).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit