The "Great Multitude" and the "Jehovah's Witnesses"

by Doug Mason 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Hi,

I wonder if someone is able to tell me the date and publication when those of the "Great Multitude" were first included with the "Jehovah's Witnesses".

I do not mean the "Jonadab class", since to me they appear to be different to the "Great Multitude". (I am open to correction on that but I will need precise references.)

Many thanks,

Doug

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am pushed for time just now Doug, so cannot provide quotes, and this is from my possibly faulty memory.

You are right that the Jehovah's Witnesses were the ones considered the Ist Class ones bound for Heaven, and the Jonadabs were considered a 2nd Class (lesser) also going to Heaven.

I think from memory that after the 1935 (?) "new light" that the Jonadabs were bound for an Earthly paradise, they were for a while still not termed JW's.

Perhaps Blondie or someone can supply Chapter and verse ?

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

According to the index, the earliest reference to the "great crowd" as "Jehovah's witnesses" was w48 p.87. There could be an earlier reference, but not sure. Here's an image snippet of that WT:

• blondie
    blondie

Well, I did noticed that for some time after 1931 the WTS used the phrase "Jehovah's witnesses" and the a separate group, companions, men of goodwill.

The Jonadabs were not invited to the memorial until 1938, 3 years after the GM change.

*** w51 5/1 p. 284 Planning Now for the Time to Come ***

The great amount of money that is required in this period to carry on the activities of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society and Jehovah’s witnesses whom it serves comes to us without solicitation, voluntarily from Jehovah’s witnesses themselves, from their associates, companions, persons of good will, and others who want to see the Word of God spread among the people and desire to use some of their material blessings to that end.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Many thanks for pointing me to the time when they made this move. This was only one of several shifts.

Doug

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Rutherford originally had 4 classes but eventually it was brought down to just two. I cant remember all the class names but one was pretty negative name indication that these ones were really bad people. In the Vindication 3 book he wrote that the Jonadabs still had one foot in Satan's world so were lesser then the all holy heavenly class of the 144k which he was apart of. He was so arrogant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit