A JW attending funerals at a church.

by garyneal 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I've gone to numerous family furnerals as well as those for coworkers and non-JW family of JWs. This was as an elder and as a rank & file. Never had anyone question it. Same for weddings.

The last furneral I went to (non-JW family), my dad & brother (both serving elders) were upfront with the rest of the family (mostly JW). Only one JW family member that should have been there wasn't and the rest of the JW family thought he was way out of line.

Of course, many of them didn't bow their heads during prayer or say amen. I don't have a problem with them not saying amen and such. After all, I don't say amen to the prayers at the KH because I don't agree with them.

It really depends on the local situation but I would say that most JWs I know don't have a problem with attending furnerals.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I think that areas vary in the interpretation of things that are not strict rules.

Around here I have known of well established dubs attending a church funeral for a distant relative to which there was no real pressure to attend. There is no question of censure , it seemed to be viewed as a conscious matter.

My family said they would definitely not have gone in..The last time something like this happened they went to the outside of the church, viewed the coffin as it was taken in, and stayed to greet and associate with the mourners as they came out from the church..

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    Finally, I was not "afraid of all the demons that inhabit church..."

LOL, Titus!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit