Christmas tipping for the postman, yard guy, newspaper boy, etc?

by restrangled 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

As a matter of fact, yes, I do tip my post person and my trash pick up people. It's my thanks for the year of service gift; nothing to do with the holidays.

DY

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

you americans love to tip anything that moves don't you

• tinker
    tinker

I have a cleaning business and some of my clients do tip me very nicely during the holiday season. The money is nice but the real gift is the expression of gratefullness of my hard work. I enjoy the work I do for them much more than the person I have worked for 25yrs+ and never, not once has he given me so much as a card and never even says Good Morning or Go to Hell. It's like I do not exist or beneath him to say thank you.

IMO, if you appreciate the service you recieve from your paper delivery, yard guy, cleaning person then you should express it to them often. A card with or with out a small tip goes a long way toward motivating them to do a good joy.

and maybe it's because my son had a paper route long ago and I found out what a hard job, 7 day wk, 365, rain or shine delivering newpaper is. I subscribe yearly and always add a 15% tip. And sometimes I leave a candy bar or can of pop out for the kid, just because.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I wouldn't tip the Rabbi, as he gets these all the year round.

But seriously - Witlesses dont give seasonal tips nor do they contribute to Secret Santa funds. Nor do they contribute to charities, whilst grabbing every benefit for themselves.

But they still expect their Christmas Bonus. I knew a witless woman who found herself another job, when Christmas came round, and her boss said - you dont believe in Christmas, so you wont want a Christmas bonus, will you?

Why should they take when they dont contribute? Same with blood fractions.

AAAAAAAAAAH!!

HB

• beksbks
    beksbks

Trash guys, Post man, Newspaper kid. Yep. A little cash or a box of candy.

Wiki on Boxing Day

Etymology

The name derives from the Anglo-Saxon tradition giving seasonal gifts (in the form of a "Christmas box") to less wealthy people and slaves. [citation needed] In the United Kingdom this was later extended to various workpeople such as labourers, servants, tradespeople and postal workers. [citation needed]

[edit] Public holiday

Boxing Day is traditionally celebrated on 26 December, St. Stephen's Day, the day after Christmas Day. [ 1 ] [ 2 ] Unlike St. Stephen's Day, Boxing Day is a secular holiday and is not always on 26 December: the public holiday is generally moved to the following Monday if 26 December is a Saturday. If 25 December is a Saturday then both the Monday and Tuesday may be public holidays. However the date of observance of Boxing Day varies between countries.

In Ireland—when it was part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland—the UK's Bank Holidays Act 1871 established the feast day of St Stephen as a non-moveable public holiday on 26 December. Since Partition, the name "Boxing Day" is used only by the authorities in Northern Ireland (which remained part of the United Kingdom). Their Boxing Day is a moveable public holiday in line with the rest of the United Kingdom.

The Banking and Financial Dealings Act of 1971 established "Boxing Day" as a public holiday in Scotland. In the Australian state of South Australia, 26 December is a public holiday known as Proclamation Day.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Nope. If I had a paper carrier, I would tip them. I had a route when I was a kid and always got tips around Christmas.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I would only tip the paper carrier but I don't have one. I get my papers free at work.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit