help me please

by recovering 51 Replies latest jw friends

• recovering
    recovering

My mom just called (she is an active jehovah's witness) She basically has very little to do with me. However she want's to come and visit me and my wife on christmas day . She lives in another state and wants spend the night. She however has made a request that we do not celebrate christmas while she visits. My wife and I have made plans to for christmas with our grown children to have xmas dinner with them at their house. what do i do? We have invited her to our home many other times and she has always declined.

By the way my wife is not nor has ever been a jw.

• hecouldbewrong
    hecouldbewrong

Seriously? Sack up and tell her you'll do what you want in your house. Duh.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Wow, the next time I invite myself to someones house I am going to give them the rules in which I will tolerate to be there.

• cantleave
    cantleave

What is the purpose of her visit? Is she using you as cheap hotel or is it because love you and wants to rebuild her relationship with you? In that case you would be looking for unconditional love and she has to accept you for what you are. You do not tell her what to believe and she has no right to impose the same onto you.

• freddo
    freddo

Have her over and let her stay overnight at your house but you and your wife go to your grown childrens' house for dinner as you planned and your mother can stay at yours and watch the TV!

• carla
    carla

It's your house! Sounds like the only reason she is coming is so that you don't celebrate Christmas! Tell her the way it WILL be and if she wants to spend time with her family she is welcome to but it will certainly not be on her terms.

• recovering
    recovering

She want's to visit her non jw sister in another state our house is half way between mom's house and my aunt's house. she wouls only be spending xmas day and night with us. My wife suspects that she wants to stay at our house on xmas because my aunt would never agree to the non celebration of xmas terms.

It is so hard because i miss my mom so much, but the jw control thing really bothers me

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Its your house and your mom needs to respect your religious beliefs. Afterall, she doesn't have to celebrate it with you. If it bothers her that much, it may be best for her to find a hotel.

• dissed
    dissed

Arrogance on her part, no?

My wifes sister and husnband would visit her mom (never a JW) on the condition, she remove ALL objectional items from her house. She went so far as to write them down. Her mom was so sweet she would comply, put them in a box in the garage.

Now these were not crosses and religious icons, many of the things most JW's wouldn't have been bothered to own, just conscience items. If it was Xmas time, they would say, "we'd like to come over, but the tree and stuff is so wrong" so Grandma would have them moved to the garage.

You can only go so far to appease........

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    She however has made a request that we do not celebrate christmas while she visits.

"Mom, we'd really love to have you visit us. Unfortunately, we have plans on the 25th. Would you be able to visit on the 26th?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit