Write letters to citizens of Warwick New York exposing the Watchtower org.

by koolaid-man 37 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Letters to the editor have been empirically shown to change opinions.

As to this topic, I guess my question is, what is the aim? To stimulate citizens to oppose wts ownership of property there, to get them to contact their local government to prohibit wts from buying the property? Then that's a good aim, but use a specific call to action in your letter (ie, "Call your councilperson today to tell them to vote no to wts development").

They already are against it but perhaps getting them to tell their elected officials of their opinion would affect a vote. Of course, it would need to have an appropriate reason, not anything that smells like religious prejudice.

If it's too late for that, then what's the goal at this time? To educate Warwickians to be on guard for door knocking cultists?

• DerrickNSyracuse
    DerrickNSyracuse

The community in Warrick, NY should be aware of the potential dangers pose by this high control group, and those who are former Jehovah's Witnesses should be willing to provide the local officials of the facts about the Watchtower Society. I know that I will be discussing this on an open forum, Insight on The Word Radio (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/insightontheword), tonight at 11 PM U.S. EST.

I like to hear from others who are Jehovah's Witnesses and coming across this news.

• minimus
    minimus

MONEY for the town is what will motivate the officials, nothing else.

• moshe
    moshe

They should approve the re-zone for the WT org-

on these conditions:

A- the rules for the shunning of all ex-members will be dropped. There will be no sanctions for any member who has personal contact with a former member.

B: No-blood transfusion cards are cancelled and the KH medical committee disbanded. An official statement is released that blood transfusions and all other medical procedures are a personal decision and the WT Org and it's representaives will no longer be involved, give guidance or public censure.

C: The WT Org will also build a public charity on it's grounds of at least 10,000 square feet in size,ie, a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, orphanage, etc. The budget shall be no less than 1 million dollars/yr

As a community they should not help any religion that kills it's members, destroys families, and fails to render charity to the community in exchange for it's tax exempt status.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Let's start a campaign of letter writing to the officials of Warwick,as well as making comments on web news releases concerning the Witnesses moving there.

I agree.

We should start a letter-writing campaign to have the new headquarters moved to Detroit.

Rub a Dub

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They better watch out: I wonder if the Washtowel Slaveholdery intends to use dirty, polluting coal to print up its littera-trash. If so, they are going to create even worse pollution--and give nothing to the community in return.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

This could end up in court.

And the WBT$ has far deeper pockets than the municpality.

It would better serve the community to allow it than to fight it!

Money makes the world go round! If the WBT$ wants it I would bet an awful lot of money they can get it.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    MONEY for the town is what will motivate the officials, nothing else.

MONEY for the town is what will motivate the officials, plus favor of the voters, who will keep the officials in office, which pays their paychecks.

/fixed that for you

Worth repeating:

To be specific, there is a United States federal law that provides some protections for religious organizations attempting to develop property. Titled the "Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act" (RLUIPA), the statute seemingly limits the ability of municipal governments to enact zoning laws that restrict religious land development (something that currently is being challenged I believe). Any zoning ordinance regulating religious buildlings that is reviewed by a court will trigger "strict scrutiny" (most rigorous form of judicial review in the US) whether it is actually discrimintory or not.

This law has plenty of flaws, but it goes to great lenghts to protect religious land use. If anybody in Warwick's government made a decision based upon the claimed "dangerous practices of the Watchtower society" as described by ex-jws on the internet they would be up shit creek without a paddle.

Advocating for such a law to be violated would raise questions about the ethics of persons doing so.

Again I would suggest--decide what your aim is and then do something (ethical) in accordance with your aim.

• hubert
    hubert

bttt

• hubert
    hubert

If you click on the article link, you'll find new comments in that section.

Has anyone else anything to add?

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit