by blondie 21 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Woman Wins Trespassing Judgment Against Jehovah's Witness
    Miscellaneous News
    Source: Foxnews
    Published: Thursday, May 03, 2001
    Posted on 05/03/2001 14:15:10 PDT by Buffalo Bob

CLEONA, Pa. — A woman who said she repeatedly told Jehovah's Witnesses to stay off her property won a $632 judgment against one of them who showed up at her door and woke her up anyway.

Jennie Basiago was awarded the money by a local district justice after filing a civil trespassing complaint against Bernadine DiStefano, a member of the Palmyra Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Basiago said followers of the religion came to her home every few months for 12 years and she called two Kingdom Halls in October and threatened legal action if the visits continued.

But two Jehovah's Witnesses awakened the late-shift worker in February after driving down a 300-foot lane past eight no-trespassing signs and three dog-warning signs, Basiago said.

"I just reached my limit," Basiago said.

DiStefano said the visit was an accident. Basiago was on a list of homeowners who had requested no visits, but officials in East Hanover Township assigned new addresses in the area and the list was not updated.

The defendant told District Justice Michael Smith she was driving and did not see the no-trespassing signs until Basiago pointed them out. She said Basiago was "enraged" at her and a woman accompanying her, and cursed at them.

DiStefano said she and other Jehovah's Witnesses go door-to-door to discuss the Bible with people and "give them hope for the future."

"That is our purpose -- not to harass her," DiStefano said.

Basiago had sought $8,000 in damages, but Smith awarded her $40 for each of the two days she spent researching DiStefano's identity and a day for lost sleep, then added that to the $395 penalty for trespass under criminal statutes, plus court costs. DiStefano said she had not decided if she would appeal.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au

Ram butts Bible man

By CHRISTOPHER SALTER
    23-Jan-03 AFTER a day of doorknocking the last thing Jehovah's Witness Kenneth Hawthorn expected was to be attacked by one of God's creatures.

But that is exactly what happened.
    Despite a gate marked 'private - keep out', Mr Hawthorn entered a farm only to be confronted by a four-year-old ram.

He attempted to shoo it away with a briefcase containing Bibles but was knocked to the ground and suffered a broken shin.

In the South Australian District Court, Mr Hawthorn and his wife Pamela, of Tea Tree Gully, reached a confidential settlement with the ram's owners for loss of earnings after the incident in July 2001.

The Hawthorns sued Ronald and Julie Goldfinch, of Paracombe, in the Adelaide hills. They claimed they were forced to sell their hose-fitting business as a result of the injuries Mr Hawthorn suffered.

They alleged the ram was a "dangerous and ferocious animal" and the Goldfinches were negligent for not keeping it confined and failing to warn visitors.

The Hawthorns also sued the Adelaide Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses for failing to provide proper instructions about doorknocking in rural areas.

In the Hawthorns' statement of claim, Mr Hawthorn, who was doorknocking with his daughter, said they opened a gate on the Goldfinch property and walked towards their house to "engage in biblical discussion".

"As they did so a ram appeared and charged (Mr Hawthorn) to the ground and the ram continued the attack pushing him towards the fence," the court documents said.

"At this time the defendants appeared and assisted (Mr Hawthorn) back into his car.

Mr Hawthorn claims he now is able to walk only small distances and "his capacity to enjoy life has permanently diminished".

In their defence, the Goldfinches said the Hawthorns entered their property "uninvited, unwanted and without notice".

They said their hand-reared pet ram had never attacked anyone before nor had it shown a "violent disposition".

In its own defence, The Adelaide congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses said doorknocking was voluntary and followers were not obliged to do it.

Mr Goldfinch said yesterday he was glad the case was over but disappointed with the result.

"We're just totally disappointed that they should have got anything," he said. "He walked into an area where he knew animals would have been, why should we pay."

The ram, which was affectionately known as "Shit for brains", has since died.

The Hawthorns declined to comment.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/

This is the Australasian Legal Information Institute. They have case records. Type in Jehovahs, not witnesses, or you get a million records!

• undercover
    undercover

Hmmm.... did the WTS come to the legal aid of the individual JW? Even though the JW was representing the Society?

• teel
    teel

The Hawthorns also sued the Adelaide Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses for failing to provide proper instructions about doorknocking in rural areas.

I can't imagine such action without serious reproval. Seeking out worldly justice against brothers is a big no-no, against the Society or part of it is much more so.

The Adelaide congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses said doorknocking was voluntary and followers were not obliged to do it.

Sure, just like everything is voluntary for them. Except if you don't do it you loose your family, your friends, your whole life goes down the drain, etc. But no pressure.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    Despite a gate marked 'private - keep out', Mr Hawthorn entered a farm only to be confronted by a four-year-old ram.

So the JW enters a private gate, trespasses on someone else's property and then sues the homeowners when a goat knocks him over? How very Christ-like of him!

And I'm sorry but a broken shin is not that big of an injury. I can't see any reason why someone would have to sell a business over that. This just sounds like a money-grabbing, frivolous lawsuit to me. Those JW's should be ashamed of themselves. What in the world is going on in Australia that they actually awarded that clown money?

• nelly136
    nelly136

and yet the househlder got stuck with the damages costs whatever.

sad for the householder who'd put the totally ignored 'keep out' notice

great witness for the neighbourhood, that not only will jws ignore warning signs, they'll sue you for the pleasure of their harrassment that leaves them with contributory negligence injuries.

• EverSoGrateful
    EverSoGrateful

I have 2 no tresspassing signs 10 feet before you get to my door ... AND a private property sign there as well PLUS a noo soliciting on my door and yet they STILL come to my door.... OH and did you see how the congregation stood up for it's preachers out there???? It said it's VOLUNTARY!!!! HAHHAHAHA! If I was in a congregation still, I would print that off & carry it with me to all of the get togethers & share it with everyone.... see... you don't HAVE to go door to door! strictly volunteers! unbelievable!

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Gosh Blondie...who's the goat NOW? LOL

• blondie
    blondie

If they still come to the door, do you call the police? I would take down their license plate too in case they take off. I would send a certified letter to the local congregation, attention the body of elders. No good putting up signs if you don't get the police involved. They listen then. I have seen it.

• JeffT
    JeffT

If I buy rural property again I'm going to follow the example of a friend and put up a sign: "Tresspassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit