Our Kingdom Ministry 2009 tells sick & infirm NOT to view telephone hook-up as convenient alternative to being “personally present” at KH!

by LUKEWARM 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

I am feeling sick after reading the question box - it's so cold and unfeeling toward those who use the telephone to listen to congregation meetings.

The WTS desire to control their weakest members - the infirm and chronically ill - by guilting them into "putting forth the effort to be personally present " at the kingdom hall is disgusting.

They are heartless bastards...

Question Box:
    Why is there a need for good judgement in connection with the use of a telephone hook-up for congregation meetings?

Many congregations have made it possible for individuals who at times are unable to attend congregation meetings at the kingdom hall because of illness or some other unavoidable circumstance to listen to the meeting at home by means of a telephone hook-up. Ensuring that this loving provision is used by those who are truly in need requires good judgement and careful organization. Hence, the elders overseeing such an arrangement would want to organize and monitor its use so that "all things take place decently and by arrangement." 1 Cor. 14:40.

Elders will see to it that priority is given to publishers in their congregation with chronic illness or infirmity or who are otherwise shut-in. A publisher temporarily ill or incapacitated, or a progressive Bible student who may be shut-in, might likewise benefit from this provision and be included in the attendance count. Where there are not enough telephone lines to accommodate those with a legitimate need, perhaps other arrangements, such as providing them with a recording of the meeting, can be made.

Of course, nothing can compare to the benefits derived from being personally present at our meetings. Our direct association with our brothers results in "an interchange of encouragement" and helps new ones better appreciate the need to attend. When we are present at our meetings, we absorb far more from demonstrations, the elders are able to give us personal assistance, and we experience firsthand the warm love of the brotherhood. True indeed are the sentiments of one elderly sister who, after receiving a hug as she was exiting the kingdom hall exclaimed: "You can't get this over the phone line!" - Rom. 1:11,12

Like Anna "who was never missing from the temple", today, many of our older ones are regularly on hand at Christian meetings as their health and circumstances allow. (Luke 2:36,37) While using the telephone hook-up when necessary, they do not view it as a convenient alternative to attending meetings at the Kingdom Hall. In imitation of their fine example, may we continue to delight in putting forth the effort to be personally present at our meetings as we worship our great God, Jehovah. - Ps. 95:1-3, 6; 122:1.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You can imagine Jaracz banging his fist on the table when he heard the "slackers" were using the old phone-up-instead-of-attend-the-meeting trick.

• yknot
    yknot

grrrrr....... most of my KH hook-ups are due to those bastards doing away with the daytime bookstudy! It just isn't safe for these of the most dedicated souls to be driving at night!!!

Teddie J, Jack, & Pierce wouldn't be doing so well if they were to return to the lives of regular publishers!

• ufo1
    ufo1

Of course, nothing can compare to the benefits derived from being personally present at our meetings. Our direct association with our brothers results in "an interchange of encouragement" and helps new ones better appreciate the need to attend. When we are present at our meetings, we absorb far more from demonstrations, the elders are able to give us personal assistance, and we experience firsthand the warm love of the brotherhood. True indeed are the sentiments of one elderly sister who, after receiving a hug as she was exiting the kingdom hall exclaimed: "You can't get this over the phone line!" - Rom. 1:11,12

Elders are able to give personal assistance? We experience firsthand the warm love of the brotherhood?

I thought the Bible said that the sheppard would leave the 99 to find the 1. What is more loving, going to visit and care for the sick or inferm, or wait for them to come back and prove their loyality and then tell them "We missed you".

I'm all for the hugs and human contact as it is so important, however if some one is trully sick I don't want to hug them. After all you can't catch a bug over the phone line.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    The WTS desire to control their weakest members - the infirm and chronically ill - by guilting them into "putting forth the effort to be personally present " at the kingdom hall is disgusting.

Don't stretch the truth. It gives us Apostates a bad look.

Elders will see to it that priority is given to publishers in their congregation with chronic illness or infirmity or who are otherwise shut-in.
  • LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Black Sheep
    Seems to me they are talking out of both sides of their mouth - "priority" on the one side but then towards the end of the article they don't want them on the end of the phone at all times - they want them at the meeting "as their health and circumstances allow"...

"Like Anna "who was never missing from the temple", today, many of our older ones are regularly on hand at Christian meetings as their health and circumstances allow. (Luke 2:36,37) While using the telephone hook-up when necessary,they do not view it as a convenient alternative to attending meetings at the Kingdom Hall. In imitation of their fine example, may we continue to delight in putting forth the effort to be personally present at our meetings as we worship our great God, Jehovah. - Ps. 95:1-3, 6; 122:1."

• jambon1
    jambon1

Is anyone really surprised at this?

The WTS has guilted men, women & children for decades. Why should old/sick/infirm people get away with it.

The organisation is rotten to the core & when it spits out this kind of utter bullshit I pause every single time & appreciate just how much it means to me not to have to be a part of it all.

Horrible.

• blondie
    blondie

The congregations around here have a phone system that allows unlimited call-ins on an automated system. All you need is phone number and password. Now everyone who wants to get password and call in has to meet with an elder and be vetted each time they want to use the system. One brother told me that his parents (in their 90's) have to personally check in each time, he can't do it for them. Attendance has dropped off as many choose to stay home and not go through the hoops.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

What concerns me is fellow Apostates waving this OKM around as some sort of evidence that the WT is a hard hearted pack of bar stewards when the article proves nothing of the sort.

The WT usually leaves themselves loopholes and this advisory is no different. I certainly won't be discussing this OKM with my family.

• sir82
    sir82

In years past, phoning into the meeting was limited by technology - at the Kingdom Hall I attended in the 90's there was a maximum of 4 lines that could call in.

Now, throughout most if not all of the US, there is a teleconferencing service (owned & operated by "brothers") that allows dozens to call in. There is a limit, but I don't recall what it is, maybe 30 or 40. Now, in our congregation, there are regularly 10,12, 15, maybe even 20 who call in to listen to the meetings. I have to imagine that is pretty typical.

As SBF noted above, it is very easy to imagine the hardliners railing long & hard about "slackers" and "laziness" and "taking the easy way out". The higher up the JW chain of command you go, the more contempt you find for the "little people".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit