Aluminum Poisoning by Charles T. Betts - download link

by VM44 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VM44
    VM44

Charles Truax Betts was a dentist that wrote about the dangers of aluminum poisoning.

Many of his articles were published in The Golden Age magazine during the 1920's and 1930's.

He wrote a book with the title "Aluminum Poisoning", the second edition being published in 1928.

It may be obtained at this webpage:

File Name: Betts_Aluminum_Poisoning_2ed.pdf
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/h8wuuz

An interesting article that gives more background concerning this topic is:

Aluminum: Satan's Metal and Killer of Millions?
    The Watchtower's Incredible Crusade Against Aluminum
    by Jerry Bergman, Ph.D.
    http://www.seanet.com/~raines/aluminum.html

• VM44
    VM44

The dangers of aluminum was a favorite topic of The Golden Age!

Look at the list of articles the magazine published on the topic that were written by Dr. Betts!

(List obtained from Dr. Bergman's article referenced in my previous posting)

Betts, Charles Truax. "Is Aluminum a Poison? An Opinion." The Golden Age . March 7, 1925 pp. 359-363.

______. An Opinion on Aluminum; A Series of Articles . Toledo, Ohio Research Publishing Co. 1926 (A 36 page hard bound book that Betts self-published).

______. Aluminum Poisoning . Toledo, OH. Research Publishing Co. 1928 (Also self published by Betts).

______. "An Opinion Upon Aluminum Kitchen Utensils." The Golden Age . August 8, 1928 pp. 710-713.

______. "Answer to Dr. Morris Fishbein." The Golden Age . September 10, 1928. pp.814-816.

______. "Aluminum in City Drinking Water." The Golden Age . Oct. 3, 1928 p. 16.

______. "Cancer Caused by Chemical Poisons." The Golden Age . Nov. 14, 1928 p.115.

______. "Lightning Workers." The Golden Age . Dec. 12, 1928 pp. 172-173.

______. "The Way of the Reformer." The Golden Age . Jan. 9, 1929 p. 244.

______. "Is 'Sodium Aluminum Sulfate' Alum?" The Golden Age . June 26, 1929. pp.623-627.

______. "Organic Aluminum is a Poison Too." The Golden Age . August 7, 1929. pp. 720-721.

______. "Do Aluminum Kitchen Utensils Have a Clean Bill of Health?" The Golden Age . August 21, 1929. pp.754-756.

______. "Coffee Poisoning by Aluminum" The Golden Age . September 18,1929. pp. 824-825.

______. "Answer the Worlds Greatest Food Authority." The Golden Age . May 14, 1930 pp. 527-528

______. "Aluminum Cooking Recipes" The Golden Age . Oct. 15, 1930 p. 49.

______. "How to Test An Aluminum Cooking Utensil." The Golden Age . June 24, 1931 p. 628.

______. "Truth Comes to the Surface Quickly" The Golden Age . April 13, 1932 p. 442.

______. "Poisoning by Aspirin" The Golden Age Feb 27, 1935 p. 343.

______. "Who are the Quacks?" Consolation . Feb 23, 1938. pp. 11-12.

______. "Does the Government Encourage Illness?" Consolation . Feb 22, 1939, pp.10-11.

______. "Dangers of Fluorine in our Water Supply" Toledo, Ohio: Research Pub. Co. 1953.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Thanks.

Bangalore

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Like most Watchtower info - it's complete rubbish.

I've discussed this in detail before, but just consider this - if it WERE true that aluminum were harmful, then people with greater exposure would have a higher incidence of medical problems or death. Who has the most exposure? People working in bauxite mines and processing plants, and people working at aluminum smelting. These people get at least thousands of times more exposure than the general public ever would get from cooking in aluminum pans. But they experience no increased health problems.

Anyone who knows even good high-school chemistry can tell you the rest of it is just complete nonsense, the idea that even if elemental aluminum was dangerous, that chemical compounds containing aluminum would also have the same danger. Think about that for a second or two.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

VM, great research.

Albert

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled

SATAN'S METAL?????????????? You've got to be kidding me.... I realize these articles are old, but OMG.....Is that something that the members of the organization believe today? I'd be curious to know if there are other bizarre fears that the WT fed into....That is INSANE a religious organization would spend that much time on something like that....LOL they were published back when kids were chewing on lead paint chips, and they were were worried about ALUMINUM?

(BTW, it may have a grain of truth, I have heard aluminum zircomnium in anti-perspirant may cause breast cancer, but I've never stopped using it)

• VM44
  • chasson
    chasson

Thanks VM44, there are some article of Betts in my collection of Golden-Age that could be downloaded.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Many researchers have concluded that there is elevated health risks in working in smelters and just as many researchers have concluded that the dramatic rise in Alzheimers and other neurological disorders may in fact be linked to the digestion of aluminum. Aluminum is found in a food, cooking utensils, water etc therefore, the amount you ingest can be substantially more than the human body can handle. In addition, aluminum was never regulated by the FDA for it's inclusion in household products or food and attempts at studying the effects of aluminum, were halted. I don't know if that has all changed but as you will note in the Australia reports on cancer, there is some increase and/or risk for specific cancers related to aluminum smelting. Be aware of the origins of aluminum, the byproduct and what they were used for . This study is a comparative between two different forms of smelting - sammieswife.

Mortality and cancer incidence in workers in two Australian prebake aluminium smelters

M R Sim1, A Del Monaco1, J L Hoving2, E MacFarlane1, D McKenzie1, G Benke1, N de Klerk3, L Fritschi4

1 Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
    2 Coronel Institute of Occupational Health, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    3 Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, West Perth, Australia
    4 Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Australia

Malcolm R Sim, Monash Centre for Occupational & Environmental Health (MonCOEH), Department of Epidemiology & Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Melbourne Victoria 3004, Australia; [email protected]

Background: Exposures in the aluminium production industry have been declining and this study aimed to investigate cancer and mortality in two Australian prebake aluminium smelters.

Methods: The cohort included 4396 males who had worked in a prebake smelter for at least 3 months. They were matched against the National Death Index and the National Cancer Statistics Clearing House to obtain cause of death and type of cancer. Standardised MortalityRatios (SMRs) and Standardised Incidence Ratios (SIRs) were calculated for the whole cohort, for production or maintenance work categories and for duration of employment categories.

Results: The SMRs for all causes, circulatory, respiratory and injury deaths were at or below expected. Mesothelioma was the only significantly increased cause of death (SMR 3.52, 95% CI 1.47 to 8.46). Death from prostate cancer in production workers was elevated (SMR 2.39, 95% CI 1.29 to 4.44) and in those who had worked for more than 20 years in production or maintenance jobs (SMR 3.67, 95% CI 1.53 to 8.81). There were statistically significantexcesses of incident stomach cancer, mesothelioma, and kidney cancer cases, while the SIR for melanoma was significantly reduced. There was no significant trend for duration of exposure for any type of incident cancer.

Conclusions: This study found no overall excess of mortality or cancer, but incident mesothelioma and kidney cancer risks were elevated. The lack of excess risk for lung or bladder cancer or deaths from respiratory disease may be related to the different level and pattern of exposure between Søderberg and prebake smelters.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Many people still beleive that aluminum cookware and underarn deoderant cause cancer.

I have family members that would have a fit if they found those items in my house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit