New Light: Don't hold hands during prayers

by RR 104 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RR
    RR

From the Watchtower November 15 Study Edition.

19 When we are being represented in public prayer, we need to display reverential "fear of God." (1 Pet 2:17) There may be a proper time and place for some actions that would be inappropriate at a Christian meeting. (Eccl 3:1) For instance, suppose someone sought to have all in a group link arms or hold hands during prayer. This might offend or distract some, including visitors who do not share our beliefs. Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands, but if they embraced each other during public prayer, those who got a glimpse of such conduct might be stumbled. They might think or get the impression that the couple was focusing on their romantic relationship instead of reverence for Jehovah. Out of deep respect for him, let us therefore "do all things for God's glory" and avoid conduct that could distract, shock or stumble anyone. - 1 Cor 10:31,32; 2 Cor 6:3.
  • JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

SS,

So saith the Watchtower Talmud.

Joseph

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Honestly, f*ck them!

If everyone had their heads bowed and their eyes closed, this wouldn't be an issue.

This is shit stirring at its worst.

• RR
    RR

So when we're home praying over our meals, are we not to join hands? In all the churches I have been too, holding hands, arms wrapp around each other is the norm.

RR

• yknot
    yknot

I am a hand holder!

....hmmm....

What about outstretched hands or open palms to heaven.....(LOL can you imagine in a KH!)

(1Corinthians4:6) Now, brothers, these things I have transferred so as to apply to myself and A·pol′los for YOUR good, that in our case YOU may learn the [rule]: “Do not go beyond the things that are written,” in order that YOU may not be puffed up individually in favor of the one against the other.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Interesting. Yet another rule and regulation from the legalistic WT. Where is the freedom?

Colossians 2:8-10 (New International Version)

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.

Galatians 2:4 (New International Version)

4 This matter arose because some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves.

Galatians 5:1 (New International Version)

Freedom in Christ
    1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. It is clear, no Christ, no freedom. JWs are not in Christ and are slaves to the hollow and deceptive philosophy of the WT, "false brothers" indeed. All the best, Stephen
  • shopaholic
    shopaholic

When I did attend meetings I always thought it was a little hokey to hold hands and\or hug during prayer. I have offended many of sisters that have grabbed my hand at the start of the prayer by politely snatching my hand away along with a "I don't do that".

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

That's stupid. My wife and I used to hug each other during prayer because we loved God and ourselves. Isn't marriage a three-fold cord or whatever? God, husband, and wife?

How is it stumbling if you express affection through the simplest of ways?

• RR
    RR

How about groping, is that allowed?

• Heaven
    Heaven

When I was little, and I saw a couple holding hands it used to embarrass me. Now, I love it, especially an older couple! Makes my heart soar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit