Be realistic in 2009! Why Politics will NEVER turn on Religion in our society!

by Witness 007 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Communism is dead and the USA is a strongly Christian, tolarant, democratic nation, it just won't happen here. Muslim nations are fanatical about their dedication....no chance. It's silly to think of religions as a whole being banned....this is just a Witness bad dream, never happen in a million years.

• reniaa
    reniaa

You wanna bet on this witness007?

Sometimes fulfillment is never how we expect it to happen, and turning on religion could be done slowly and subtly.

Jews to this day are still waiting for an actual messiah to overthrow rome :)

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

I’m not so sure anymore. There are Atheist bus ads in Indiana now. Just 30yrs ago this would have triggered riots in the streets. With all night vigils live on the news. And lots of footage of tearful women praying, ala The Last Temptation of Christ movie protest.

Now people don’t care. Every religious protest you see is always those Westboro Baptist nuts who travel everywhere. You just don’t see community outrage nowadays. I don’t think you can say the US is strongly Christian anymore. There is allot of lip service from politicians, but it’s mostly just tiptoeing around older voters. How many in government actually go to church anymore unless it’s a staged event. At work I have yet to meet person under the age of 25 that isn’t atheist. Under 35 they are agnostic or atheist.

I don’t see a ban on religion happening anytime soon. But I can see taxation happening. That alone will send the Pat Robertson, Oral Roberts types running. It would also put a damper on new churches or groups being formed. And then combine that with regular declines in attendance. I don’t think it will be dramatic. Probably just some minor tax on some aspect of religion. But like most taxes the government will keep revisiting the well.

For example they could tax property that isn’t used for worship and is not public use. In that way they are not taxing the “Church”or “Place of Worship”, just the corporate offices. How many churches have large corporate offices and high rise residences? Can you think of any?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

exactly how it plays out remains to be seen. Certainly it will not be the political powers destroying all relgions except the one associated with the WT....prompting God to step in to protect his people (the JWs)- as the WT claims...

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

taxation on religion would really be the best and most effective way to hit them.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Politics and religion are interwined and one doesn't live without the other. All religion is political in and of itself - including the WTS which has a leader and voted membership. The WTS has a Judicial Committee which is itself a legalistic tool just as a judge and jury are. The hierarchy of the WTS is the same as a government - President, VP etc. The WTS is no less legalistic and political than any other corporation and in fact, most religions offer some sort of carrot to it's followers in order to keep stringing them. Some of that is tradition, some of that is promise of something much better if you just wait around long enough. Anyone in a religion that prays and hopes that government will turn on it, will eventually either have new light or just drop the whole idea when the membership demands it - they will dangle another carrot while burying that one.

People who wait on Jehovah to come calling, who wait for tomorrow instead of loving today - are to be pitied for wasting what should be a wonderful life on a beautiful planet. sammieswife.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    taxation on religion would really be the best and most effective way to hit them.

The current tax code is the one thing that restricts religions in the US from getting completely involved in politics and backing candidates from the pulpit. You remove that, and the barrier is completely gone.

BTS

• out4good3
    out4good3

That barrier is already gone.

I've seen many a politician prominantly featured as a guest speaker from many pulpits.

Religions are already heavily involved in politics. MIght as well tax their asses anyway.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Agreed. Politics and religion are partners. I find it amusing that in the USA in the 21st century, you cannot get elected to state or national office unless you profess some sort of religious belief.

The fact that I don't believe in talking snakes, talking donkeys, and a guy living in a whale for 3 days disqualifies me from holding public office in this country.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The whole idea of "Babylon the Great" representing "false religion" in the book of Revelation is not based on good Biblical Scholarship. See this thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/86994/1/Babylon-the-Great-who-is-she

So, there's not really much point in speculating about something that was never even intended by the original writer of the so-called prophecy in question.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit