Regarding Elders Snooping On Facebook, MySpace & Other Sites

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

I was searched by a former JW friend on Facebook and she requested to be my friend. Mind you, not one peep from her for literally years since I've been out. I told my current JW friend about the request and she told me you should to be a good friend to be privvy to personal information. She only had 4 other friends, and they are JW's. I've ignored her.

So they are using Facebook. There is no doubt anything questionable she would have seen she would share with mutual former elder friends, and they would cook my goose.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is not snooping to read information that is available to the public. It is snooping to hack in, try to close out accounts without permission from the owners (either of the account or the site), or to find information with the purpose of getting someone in trouble (especially if guesswork is involved where they could nail the wrong person).

Yes, I believe the members of the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger monitor these sites. Yes, I believe that certain hounders (who are after power) monitor these boards so they can see if one in their congregation is posting on them (even when they are told not to, for fear that ones that are in it for the truth might find out that it is a lie). But, as long as they are not trying to hack into private sections where they have no business being or trying to close out or tamper with accounts that are not theirs, they are within their rights to read what is here. It is up to us to make sure we make extra work for the hounders to figure out who is posting what, so they will waste their time or give up.

• homeschool
    homeschool

There are so many ways, especially on Facebook, so only show what you want to. Like, I have JW's on my Facebook, but they are in a certain "jw" category/group so they cant see certain pictures or ex-jw groups that I am part of. So there! Its more just about privacy. I also have patients on there as well and they are in the "clients" category/group so they cant see lots of my stuff too

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Come on - parents in general snoop (and perhaps *should*) on their kids social networking sites. When it comes to your children you need to "trust but verify"

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Parents is one thing; they have an obligation to watch for their children's welfare.

But for elders to use Facebook and myspace to investigate the congregation is creepy, wrong and ultimately will drive more people out than otherwise.

People who use the internet for social purposes know it is generally harmless; the WT has yet to get this concept.

P

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

If it's a JW Elder/Parent or Parent snooping on their kids they get a pass - if it's snooping on members of the cong then it's everything that has been said. Even keeping an eye on your kids needs to be done with great care to not be weird and creepy, but you can't be naive as a parent either.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Before we quit going they were cracking down on myspace sites of the teens and twenty somethings in our hall . One young sister was told she could not be an aux.pioneer until she deleted her account . Several others just put their sites to private and some started using fake names .

One adult married sister had pictures of her partying with friends from work going out to bars ect ...The elders made her delete her account too .

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I know a person who was snooping, and e-mailed me on Facebook. But, he never sign on as my Friend. If he signed on as my Friend, he'd be tainted as having communicated with an apostate. But, sending an e-mail to an apostate was clandestine. His purpose was to ask me directly about my apostate views. We even spoke on the phone for about an hour!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit