Fiji Bethel Scandal

by Mattieu 26 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Does anyone remember the scandal that rocked Fiji in appx early 1992? I have searched this site and found no reference to it. So, hoping someone here might remember the finer details and whatever happened to the guilty culprits......

My best mate was in the Australian bethel at the time, and on a trip back home to Melbourne he caught up with me and told me most of the details. From memory the entire Fijian branch comittee was removed and df'd. They were supposed to have been smudging the books and adding in phantom publishers to make the country report card look good. If someone could check the old year books or w/t's, I think you will find they went through a stage where they kept having record publisher peaks month after month. I remember those peaks being mentioned in the Australan k/m at the time.

At the time, (not sure if this system is still in place) third world countries like Fiji, were getting monetary grants on a per publisher basis, so by pushing up the publisher figures, more $$$ was coming into the Fijian branch. The comittee members then went out with the excess funds and bought each other brand new luxury cars and fine clothing for them and lovely lady wives.... Local brothers in Suva were "stumbled" by the excessive luxuries that was beiing shown and started to grumble. Things came undone on a zone visit and all got revealed.

The brother sent from Sydney to clean up the mess from a legal viewpoint was best mates with my mate (lots of mates i know) and spilled all over a drink when he returned to Australia. A special pioneer couple I know were sent from Melbourne to serve a c/o in Fiji, I caught up with them when I went to Fiji in 97 and when I asked him about it, he said they dont talk about it anymore. I did tour bethel in Suva and found all the bethelites to be really nice native Fijians, sincere, genuine and not having much material possesions (our tour guide was wearing a coke t-shirt and yes I have the photo!) so the buying of brand new cars would have gone down like Michael Jackson taking the emblems...

So if anyone knows more, do tell.

Mattieu.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The figures do show a 9% decrease in 1992 after strong growth.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Buying brand new luxury cars ..................... How much money were they supposed to have got? While not trying to deny something might have happened, that sounds as if it were blown out of proportions, I mean, THAT much money they cannot have received? I have by the never heard that branches get MONEY per head?

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Yet another case of Jehovah cleansing his organisation!

(tongue firmly in cheek btw )

• Roski
    Roski

Wasn't the branch overseer running some kind of business on the side - was that Fiji or somewhere else? I seem to remember that it had something to

do with car rentals. Didn't hear too much about i - definitely a coverup.

• KAIVITI
    KAIVITI

yes..i clearly remember this incident...i was i think 10 or 11 then..... this was just shortly after the dedication of the new branch office.....i remember that the 3 Branch Coordinator were removed and disfellowshipped...2 of them have been reinstated ..... the third one never got reinstated and died.... out of the two who were reinstated one is probably in NZ and the other one has recently died. i think their wives all remained in the organisation till now...though one of themhave died too...

it shocked the Fijian JWs.... but i heard that they have grown ever since.... i can see them still persistent with their preaching...and plus they have a lot of KH around in the capital city...Suva

the three men were Clare (Caucasian) Tofiga (Tuvaluan) Laucala (Fijian)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thank you for the information KAIVITI. It's great that what could once be swept under the carpet is now on record for the whole world to see thanks to the evil Internet.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Bula Kaiviti!

And welcome to the board!

(BP from Australia)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Thanks KAIVITI. The news from the islands is usually well 'filtered' before I get it.

Cheers

Chris

• KAIVITI
    KAIVITI

Bula BP! and Chris!

nice to see you on Board.....yeah i remeber that very well..my grandma and my mum were still alive then..they were both JWs..we use to go to the meeting and FS and also the dedicatiion of the Bethel..my mum passed away shortl after that and my grandma a year after..my dad got married again and my stepmum was kinda evil...so i had to go to and live wth my uncle who was a pastor of the Assemblies of God church....the Truth slowly drained out of me...m still lost..and confused...but somewhere deep inside my heart i still think that it is the Truth...what do you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit