Peanuts: Boiled or Roasted?

by cameo-d 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Quandry
    Quandry

I love peanuts-raw, or any way you cook 'em!

I love boiled peanuts. We used to boil them in salt water, but for quite a long time. The longer they are boiled, the softer they become.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Boiled peanuts? I don't think I've had boiled peanuts before.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have a can of boiled peanuts that someone gave me. I never had them that style before so I was wondering about some wonderful ways to serve them. What goes well with them? Sour cream? Cabbage? Turnip greens? Help a newbie out here.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I have a can of boiled peanuts that someone gave me. I never had them that style before so I was wondering about some wonderful ways to serve them. What goes well with them? Sour cream? Cabbage? Turnip greens? Help a newbie out here.

I would be curious to know about that,too.

I have just always eaten peanuts alone, as a snack. NEVER out of a can. But I have seen them in cans. In the South you will find there are numerous boiled peanut roadside stands. Some sell produce along with the peanuts. I guess those canned peanuts are for Yankees.

Peanut is actually a legume. That's right. It's not a nut...it's a BEAN.

So, I wonder if anyone ever serves it as a "peanuts and rice dish"?

• snowbird
    snowbird

In Africa, peanuts are used as a substitute for meat.

Quandry, if you boil them while they're still green, it won't take as long.

KB, boiled peanuts and beer are good!

SL, where ya been?

I buy canned peanuts from Wal-Mart - Sam's Choice brand.

I rub the salt off and put them over my oatmeal and cold cereal.

Delicious.

Sylvia

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

SNOWBIRD...is serious about her peanuts!!!!

Thanks for all the info.

So now I understand there is a difference in boiling time for "green" peanuts and dried peanuts.

• 4mylove
    4mylove

Hubby and I camped in Alabama,

Just don't get the bolied peanuts thing? Are they pretty good?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Boiled peanuts are very good, and I do love peanuts!

I used to sell them at school and trade them for using other kids' textbooks.

Sylvia

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel
    KB, boiled peanuts and beer are good!

As if beer is ever not good!

• annalice
    annalice

I was visiting family down south a while back and my sister introduced me to Boiled peanuts . Oh my god they were good. We bought them from a little road side stand . When I came back up home I looked on the internet for recipes to make them myself. There are tons of web sites with recipes ,its just peanuts ,alot of salt and water. I learned that you have to use raw /green peanuts. I didnt have to crack the shells first , when they boil ,the salt water penetrated right through the shells . They taste best hot right out of the pot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit