Sychelles Island crash proved you can't land a plane on water!

by Witness 007 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

It helped too that the Hudson hadn't frozen over yet. Just a couple of days later and that landing would have been almost impossible. That was part of the reason the plane wasn't lifted sooner. There are ice chunks all over that part of the river now.

Isaac

• DJK
    DJK

Possible or not, the pilot was fortunate to have a choice between water or heavily populated city. On water there is a better chance of survivors.

Its scary to think that while this plane was going down the pilot said to himself, ""Someone is going to die", I have to do my best to save as many as possible."

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

The fact that the plane was a "fly by wire" Airbus A 320 may have aided his ability to keep the plane level.

• llbh
    llbh

I am not an expert in aviation but do not most aircraft prior to landing "flare " that is make the plane "nose up" ?

. In the UK recently we had a Boeing 777 lose power in both Engines on final approach to Heathrow, the pilot glided the Aircraft down and landed just after the threshold. This was also like the landing on the Hudson, an amazing piece of airmanship, as anyone who has been to Heathrow knows, the margin for error is very small, get it wrong and there would have been hundreds of casualties on the aircraft and on the ground.

The pilot of both these airplanes were a testament to their good training and great skill

Regards David

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Also US Airways 1549 never did to a very high altitude; its airspeed was low compared to what it could have been.

• prologos
    prologos
    libh: "The pilot of both these airplanes were a testament to their good training and great skill

A tribute: If you ever saw Bob Hoover, who just died at 94, and you can see it on youtube, he turned off his two engines, then did rolls, loops, landed on one wheel , then the on the other, you will appreciate how safe flying at the edge can be, and how close the best of us can come to be at one with the universe.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

UK doesn't feature this until November:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tbkbx4Hz8Q

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit