The JW Dress Code

by sacolton 33 Replies latest jw friends

• watson
    watson

On the length of hair thing...10 years ago, young men in the congregations lost priviledges if their hair was too short, IE, "skinhead." Now it is commonplace for servants, etc. Why can't they give a little on beards? Do they like the "emasculation" of a clean shaven man? More humble?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Its about appearances Watson, all about appearance for the public to see, after all this is god's people and God's only solemn organization .....Right Wink Wink

Its an illusionary procedure or self marketing tactic

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I really think dress codes change based on the hall you are in.

For example, in Utah it was common for sisters to go in service in denim skirts and sweaters or nice t shirts. Visualize Pentecostals. Minimal make up and simple hair do's.

But in Tennessee the sisters wear nice skirts, knee length but usually longer, blouses, hose and pumps, or sandals in the summer. And hair nicely done with make up perfectly applied. And jewelry out the wazoo!Can you imagine the dresses at meetings?

We went to church with our kids and most of the women wore nice slacks and pretty sweaters or blouses. Much easier and nicer in the cold, and juggling babies!

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Good grief, since when is it up to the organization what a person wears so long as it is appropriate.? People aren't dummies. Yet the WTS forever treats their people as if they were.

Placing so much emphasis on this dress code is ridiculous. So long as you neat clean and the colours don't clash and shoes are shined and hair is neat what have they got to bark about.?

Now with respect to witnesses women, this has been a bond of contention within the organiztion. Young ladies seem to think it is okay to where what ever they wish and wear as much make up as they please. I have attended many a convention and seen many women that look like they are hookers. It is disgusting. I am no prude okay. However there is a time and a place for that attire and a convention isn't that place. I have seen many times young witness women have lovely skirts on and below the knee and then all of a sudden they whirl around and my goodness there is a slit all the way up to their waist. If exposes their undies, to me this is a shear distraction, and they are there to listen to the program and you know that they are there to see what brothers they can snag; I know I am not wrong on this I have witnessed it many times.

I think the WTS should ease up on womens dress codes. Many a women looks fabulous in dress suits. I have often wanted to buy myself a pin stripe business suit and I wear ties, I own many varieties. Most of them are cartoon characters. I have two Christmas ties. I would love a big mickey mouse christmas tie. Or a bugs bunny or the road runner and willie coyote . I see these items as fun attire. I think if a women dresses smartly she should be able to wear a nice pair of pants and a matching blouse with perhaps a vest and sport jacket or blazer. Many women look very smart in this attire. I know I do. I wear pants to Church. God is more interested in what in your heart not what your wearing as long as it is modest. High slits and deep V cut tops don't honour God.

No the WTS prefers you to go to the meetings and in the service with uncomfortable attire, wear dress shoes, skirts blousses and lousy nylons or panty hose, they use to make my legs blister and bleed and everyday after service I would sit and cry and have to put a zinc cream on just to get some relief. One day I woke up and said I am not going to wear panty hose for no one and if the brothers don't like it I will quit pioneering. So they said nothing to me about and then evenutally all the sisters stopped wearing panty hose and I felt terrific that the sisters followed suit

When I was pregnant with my son, I had a suit I bought it was pants and a top and I didn't care what anyone said to me at the kingdom hall even the brothers I was prepared for any onslaught. So I wore them to the KH and not one person said anything to me not even a elders. So I would say under some circumstances I would allow sisters to wear pants. Oh yes and in the winter when it was so bitter cold in Quebec, I woud wear pants and then put a skirt over top of the pants and not one elder ever said two word s to me, if they had I would tell them that they should go out in the service in a skirt and see how fast they would freeze.

I was a little rebel I know but I did make many valid points with out ever uttering a word.

Orangefatcat

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I read that Russell requested to be buried in a toga.

Would that have set a prescendence for cross dressing?

• I quit!
    I quit!

There weren't a lot of rules at least that I remember here in So California colored shirts were ok, sports jackets ok, no pants for women they had to wear skirts. Beards mustaches and long hair were all no no's for men Four doors on your car if you were spiritual

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

To bring back this thread - I don't understand criticisms of dress codes.

The company I work for has a written dress code. Professional Business Attire when meeting with clients, suits and ties for men, business suits, blazers, skirts, blouses, dresses for women. (Which would be like ones giving talks at meetings or assemblies)

Business Casual attire otherwise. Appropriate: Casual slacks, dress slacks, dress shirts, blouses, dresses/skirts (no more than 2 inches above the knee, denim shirts/skirts, shirts with collar tucked in. Inappropriate: jeans, athletic wear, tshirts, clothing that reveals undergarments, shorts or skort, hats or caps, sheer or see through garments, cropped shirts, overalls, lowcut apparel.

Jewelry should be simple, not excessive. No more than 2 earrings in each ear are appropriate for women. Earrings are not appropriate for men. Exposed piercings are not appropriate. Tattoos are acceptable as long as they are not offensive. Extreme hair styles or colors are not appropriate.

Companies have dress codes, written for professional image. Churches, religion has image issues so they have dress codes too. If people have to conform with company policy because it is the right thing to do, then why complain in other areas that have the same policy for the same reason?

This thing about white or light shirts. That is simple fashion sense. Since suit coats are usually dark conservative, a dark shirt would not go with it. Dark coat, light shirt, dark tie; otherwise the opposite, light coat, dark shirt, light tie. What is the point in wearing a white tie with a white shirt? Black tie with black shirt?

On the length of hair thing...10 years ago, young men in the congregations lost priviledges if their hair was too short, IE, "skinhead." Now it is commonplace for servants, etc. Why can't they give a little on beards?

I don't get this shaved head with beard trend that is popularizing with men. It is backwards. Hair is supposed to be on the top.

• vajeni82
    vajeni82

The company you work for PAYS YOU! JWs don't get paid to do the door to door. All of this dressing up gets expensive! Especially on a part time salary.It's also another way to create a class system within the congregation.

Also, to me it seems to make people distrustful. An outsider who comes in wearing a nice pair of jeans and a polo is seen as underdressed. Wouldn't it be better to blend in with people a little bit while still being respectful? I'd be less leary of a guy in nice khakis and a polo than a full suit.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have just started to attend a church. Where I go, pants are fine for women, even the pastor, although she has a robe she dons for the services. I didn't see one man in a suit, most men wear polo shirts and slacks. Personally, I think you should wear your best clothes to church, not necessarily fussy or formal, but neat, clean and like you put some effort into it. I still wear dresses, I like dresses and its nice to have a reason to wear them, but it's good to have the option on colder days to wear pants and I will probably wear them at some point. It's refreshing to know you will be accepted no matter what you are wearing. In my Kingdom Hall days, if someone showed up wearing casual clothes, people did look down upon them, and I am sure they felt uncomfortable. They certainly never came back.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    To bring back this thread - I don't understand criticisms of dress codes.
    The company I work for has a written dress code.

The company you work for PAYS YOU!

Also, religion is supposed to be about togetherness, love, and higher-mindedness, not about corporate image.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit