Is it true? John Denver asks any Witnesses to leave his concert!

by Witness 007 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Version 1. John Denver at his concert asks "If there are any Jehovah's Witnesses in the audience can you please leave."

Version 2. On the Johnny Carson show he said the same before singing a Patriotic song. Johnny Carson told Denver "See that cameraman there..and that lighting guy...there Jehovahs Witnesses, alot of Witnesses work for me because their honest people..so now YOU can leave."

Version 3. Denver at a concert is about to sing his Patriotic song so he says: "If there are any Jehovah's Witnesses here tonight, you may not like this next song, it may be a good time to get a drink or go to the toilet..."

True or false?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I heard that about him as a dub. Gloria Estefan too.

BTS

• 5go
    5go

I always heard it was Clint Black. I think it is a urban myth.

• undercover
    undercover

JW urban legends

• rebel8
    rebel8

There are more versions too, with a talk show host avenging them. Then there are versions that do not involve jws at all. No one is able to say they were personally in the audience. It is always just a story they heard.

There is a web site (www.snopes.com) which discusses this myth, and there are many old threads on this forum about it too.

• Robert7
    Robert7

I have heard this urban legend many years ago. If you believe Snopes, they did the research, and say it's false. http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/ordered.asp

A more balanced version of this legend in the article that may be more accurate is that John Denver respected the JW's neutrality, so when he played a very patriotic song, he said "If there are any JWs in the audience, you may not enjoy the next set, this would be a good time to go to the bathroom or get food or drink".

• yknot
    yknot

Back when I was a little girl I heard versions 1 and he played the Star Spangled Banner as they left.....

When I lived in Colorado I heard version 3 was the real version......

Bottom line since John is dead..... we will never be able to verify, and he left no other comment to compare by.....so URBAN MYTH!

Let us all consider how many assembly stories we have heard only later to learn it was recycled from somewhere else or has several translations...

EX: the MADD one with the girl sneaking out, riding in drunk guys car who later plows into her parents car killing them, the loser date and later her.

or

the story of the adopted child who rejoices and retells his/her account of reading the My Book of Bible Stories before being adopted.

• Leolaia
  • daniel-p
    daniel-p

JWs love this old tale. It makes them feel special to be acknowledged by a famous person.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

This JW myth - and a dozen similar ones - have been brought up on JWD probably 1000 times and just beat to death.

None of these are true, it seems, just stupid fabrications with a life of their own that keep getting regurgitated.

Enough already!

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit