Is it true? John Denver asks any Witnesses to leave his concert!

by Witness 007 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• Violia
    Violia

yes cheetos that is what happened. That Carson Tape has disappeared or been edited. I once talked to someone in the biz and he had friends that were at the concert. It could not happen today b/'c so many of us have recording devices. But this was before that era and Denver did it. Carson reacted to it. If this happened today, a talk show host asking someone to leave would be on all the local cable news, to say nothing of TMZ None of that existed at that time.If this happened at a concert today lots of folks would have it recorded and it would probably make the news. That was pre Internet and hi tech recording devices that ordinary folks would own.

This is one Urban legend that is IS TRUE. There were people at that concert and there were others who saw that Carson show. I am not saying this to defend jws nutty grandiosity but to say it is true. Many things years ago were said on late night TV only to be edited later. It could not happen today b/c there are too many ways to trace things back.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Violia...where was this John Denver concert?

These rumors have gone around among JW's for years...I would think that if these things really happened, there would be some video or third party (non JW) verification of the events. I can find none, so for now, I choose to view them as JW urban myths.

• blondie
    blondie

I had jw friends in that area that worked for him.............this never happened. These stories never are told by someone who was there or has the details that matchup with an actual Denver concert.

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/ordered.asp

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/ordered.asp

edited...sorry Blondie, you beat me to it!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It doesn't sound like John Denver's persona. When and where did this concert happen? I always dreaded the closing of public events with patriotic music. Also, the opening of public events and the trooping of the colors. My father might make us walk out. Everyone stared at us as though we were Lenin, Marx, Stalin, and Mao combined. Now I enjoy singing my heart out - esp. after September 11th. If you want to kill or terrorize me b/c I am American, I will be super American.

There are tapes and recordings for every concert during the 1960s. It also strikes me as something that would make the local press. Of course, it is conceivable that John Denver behaved differently at his concerts than on his TV show. Let us recall the famous John Lennon incident where John did not come close to stating that the Beatles were better than Jesus. A recent documentary just kept playing Lennon's actual statement and what Christian fundamentalists thought they heard over and over again. I know that I try to be precise as possible when I make a statement. People hear what they fear.

When I was active, we only had the owner of Dritz sewing goods and Mickey Spillaine. The Witnesses were so forgettable that no one mentioned them. I want to know which brother endorsed Michael Jackson grabbing his crotch for about five minutes. Also, which elder endorsed Jackson sharing his bed with young children. These celebrities are a nightmare for the Witnesses to control. The cash flow to Bethel must be nice. They all raise my ire.

• blondie
    blondie

When and where did this concert happen?

--------------------------

That's the point, BOTR, the purveyors of this information never know, because someone told them, who was told by someone else, etc. No name of the jw originating the first "account." And nothing to convey in the media, people who worked for him, his family, his friends, his enemies....how could such a thing be kept secret. Just like stories around Phil Collins and Keith Urban, they are just nastygrams.

• blondie
    blondie

It reminds me of the occasions elder would come to me and accuse me of wrongdoing, but not share the person that said it............

• Violia
    Violia

I did not go to the concert, I saw the Johnny Carson show . Denver came on and Carson asked him about the concert incident and he admitted it and Carson asked him to leave. He got up and left. That was it. The Carson folks had the tape either edited or destroyed. Surely with the way jws rewrite and get rid of older literature , surely no one is so naive to think that could not happen? Carson was a very powerful person at that time.

• blondie
    blondie

So what date was the show, Violia?

• Violia
    Violia

I do not recall Blondie. I watched Carson most nights-- I just recall Denver was to be a quest. I tuned in as did a large amount of America to watch the show. That is it. It has been too long to give a date. I knew nothing about the concert incident before I heard it on the Carson show . I was quite surprised and the next day asked a few jws who all said it was true. Now I do not doubt the grandiosity thinking of jws but I know what i saw on TV.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit