CCoJWs Requests/Denied Local Tax Money Allocation

by MadApostate 27 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

This city of Columbia SC webpage shows that CCofJWs requested, but was denied, allocation of local tax dollars from the city's Accommodation Tax Budget Allocation.

. http://www.columbiasc.net/city/funding.htm

Any locals here that can check out the person that actually formalized this request, and how did CCofJWs say they were going to use the $$$ to promote Columbia?

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

bttttttttttttt

• LDH
    LDH

BWA HA HA this is a good one. Why on earth would JW be requesting $$$ from the General Fund of Columbia SC?

Although, I sense that their answer would be that whatever of Caesar's money they got would be less that the rank and file would have to pay for.

So please, MA, enlighten me. Why is this an issue for you NOW when I pointed out http://www.circuitleasing.com and you defended it? I believe you stated, umm, let's see, oh yeah, here it is:

* http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=11321&site=3#137241

and you said:

However, from the "general things" that I know about such "financial arrangements", I see NOTHING WRONG with this, since it is primarily a "cost-cutting" measure. If any so-called "profit" ocurrs when the auto is finally disposed, then so what?
    and then you said:

YOU JUST DON'T GET IT. The auto leasing arrangement saves $$$$, thus saving $$$ for those who foot the bills-donors.

Why would this be any different from the "cost-cutting measure" of asking for Caesar's tax dollars? Isn't the defense the same? "Why, we're just saving money for the poor old rank and file." [8>]

Either way, they're scamming the general rank and file.

Lisa

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

And either way, there is a line between being a 'religion' (gimmee those religious protectins d**mit!!)and being a business (crank out those tax dollars d**mit!).

When push comes to shove, and th US gets really tired of teh Watchtower, all this stuff will come back to bite their buttocks. And deservedly so.

Run Watchtower Run!!!

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy MA,

I only saw 3 specific religious organizations listed - and all 3 were denied funds. Several other groups also, but I didn't recognize the names.

Christ Central Ministries
    Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses
    Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church

I've been to a Greek Festival at that church. Nice group, very family orientated. Good food

waiting

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

LDH:

Let's see:

Why do I criticize the Society's attempt to obtain tax dollars legislatively intended to promote tourism within Columbia, SC, when at the same time defend the Society's attempt to control the cost/expense of one of its programs?

I believe the question answers itself.

You understand so little about any of this that I really don't know where to start explaining such, since you obviously still don't eve understand the CircuitLeasing portion.

FOR EVERYONE ELSE, this "may" only be the tip of an iceberg.

Ask yourself why CCJW would even attempt to obtain tax dollars designed to be allocated to groups who promote Columbia tourism.

It would seem that CCJW/WTS may be trading on their history of bringing JWs to assemblies/conventions in Columbia, and they thought that they could use such to obtain an allocation.

This makes me wonder if they have attempted or even suceeded in doing this in other cities where they arrange conventions. Has the WTS been trading on their bringing JW dollars to a city in exchange for a kick-back of the accomodation tax?

• nelly136
    nelly136

. http://detnews.com/2001/oakland/0106/08/d04-233294.htm

Jehovah's Witness gathering spurs economy
    Merchants forecast big sales as followers learn more on faith

you mean like this?
    yes there is more on the net somewhere about a town that was complaining they were being...persuaded to give increasingly better rates to the convention that was regularly held there and if memory serves me correctly there was some dispute over the cost of services..fire and police?
    I cant think where it is offhand there may have even been a court case over it
    nelly
    will post it if i can find the url again

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Nell:

Was this what you were thinking of: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=6232&site=3

Expatbrit

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Thanks EXP for providing the link to your related previous thread. Per your initial post in that thread, the WTS had been obtaining grants from Jacksonville to offset the expense of renting convention facilities. I suspect that something similar is or was going on, or was being tried, with the city of Columbia, SC.

I also suspect that if one could get their hands on the necessary paperwork, that in at least one of these convention cities there is something improper going on.

We ALL know of cities that have been historical "homes" for DAs.
    I betting that every one of these are like the Jacksonville scenario, with the City effectively picking up the tab for the facilities.

Maybe we should do some factfinding sufficient to interest some local reporters in these cities to take the ball and run with it. Surely, the taxpayers of all these cities would like to know that they are subsidizing JW conventions every summer.

By the way, if anyone wants to inquire what were the specific details about the CCJW's request for funds from Columbia SC, here is the email addie from their website:

. [email protected]

• nelly136
    nelly136

yay EXP, yep knew i'd seen it somewhere thankyou for posting it, now is that a banana you got there or are you just pleased to see me
    nelly

. http://www.xso.com/news/stories/arena.htm another fast buck in the making,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit