Pope Bans Yahweh; Will Others Follow Suit?

by cameo-d 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

from Catholic News Service:

WASHINGTON (CNS) -- In the not-too-distant future, songs such as "You Are Near," "I Will Bless Yahweh" and "Rise, O Yahweh" will no longer be part of the Catholic worship experience in the United States.

At the very least, the songs will be edited to remove the word "Yahweh" -- a name of God that the Vatican has ruled must not "be used or pronounced" in songs and prayers during Catholic Masses.

This goes back to the Hebrew word called the Tetragrammaton. It's four letters -- consonants actually -- that are said to be God's name. And not to be said aloud. Except there aren't any vowels. So there's no way to know if it's supposed to sound like Yahweh, Yeewah, Yowee, etc.etc. etc. The word "Jehovah" is derived from the same four consonants. Jews drop the Hebrew word "'Adonai." in the spot where the four letters appear. It's usually translated as "Lord."

Since Jehovah is also a "mistranslation" do you think other denominations will also begin to drop this name?

What else will they use to reference the I AM if not those names?

• minimus
    minimus

All bad. The RCC is just continuing what it's been doing for centuries.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Don't they have a patent on the name? I mean, didn't they invent it?

S

• minimus
    minimus

Yes. U R rite!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    Don't they have a patent on the name? I mean, didn't they invent it?

S

Satanus, for some reason that rings a bell. I thought there might be some connection to St Leo and when I typed in a search...you would not believe all the stuff that has come up on JWs on the catholic forum. The lions are tearing them to bits. Take a look: http://www.catholic-forum.com/members/popestleo/index.html

(scroll all the way down. There is a long section on Catholic Critique of JWs)

It surprises me that they are being so vocal and so vehemently engaging in religion-bashing!

• blondie
    blondie

Does that mean the Catholic New Jerusalem Bible is going to be edited and/or banned?

http://www.catholic.org/bible/

Psalm 83:18 Let them know that you alone bear the name of Yahweh, Most High over all the earth.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Aid book, published by the wt society in 1971, pgs 884-885 ---

'By combining the vowel signs of 'Adho •n ay' and
    'Elo • him' with the four consonants of the Tetragrammaton
    the pronunciations Yeho •wah' and Yeho
    wih' were formed . The first of these provided the basis
    for the Latinized form "Jehova (h) ." The first recorded
    use of this form dates from the thirteenth century C .E . Raymundus Martini, a Spanish monk of
    the Dominican Order, used it in his book Pugeo
    Fidei of the year 1270 .'

S

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

We've been over this before...here's what I posted earlier on this:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/164865/3054729/post.ashx#3054729

The directive only applies to liturgical texts. Catholic scholars will still use "Yahweh" in textbooks, for example.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I suspect that the wt is NOT lying about this particular point.

S

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Obscure Preservation of the Sacred Name 'YAHU'

Hebrew personal names have meanings, and many such personal names have throughout time, been linked to the Sacred Name YAHU. In this obscure way, the Sacred Name YAHU has been preserved for modern times, notwithstanding the fact that it has been almost totally removed from most Bible Translations.

The following transliterated versions of the Sacred Names which are in use by various Sacred name groups, are therefore acknowledged:

YHVH YHWH Yahweh Yahveh Yaveh Yaweh Jehova Jehovah Jahova Jahovah Yahova Yahovah Yahowah Jahowa Jahowah Yahavah Jahavah Yahowe Yahoweh Jahaveh Jahaweh Yahaveh Yahaweh Jahuweh Yahuweh Jahuwah Yahuwah Yahuah Yah Jah Yahu Yahoo Yaohu Jahu Yahvah Jahvah Jahve Jahveh Yahve Yahwe Yauhu Yawhu Iahu Iahou Iahoo Iahueh

Do you think the pope will ban emails from yahoo, too? It's on the list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit