Fibonacci numbers and 144,000

by Beta Male 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

the twelfth Fibonacci number is 144, since they start counting the sequence with zero. that just seems an neat "coincidence" eh? All this religious stuff has its roots in the study of mathematics and the stars, doesnt it?

Does anyone remember the old computer program LOGO, the line drawing turtle? In the 8th grade we had computer labs, and this was the program they used to teach basic geometry. Through trial and error I discovered a pentagram has to have five 144 degree angles to be perfect. that made me stop and think.

I dont really have a reason for this thread, not really. But does anyone think, as i do, that the very root of religion is the study of the movements of the stars, but not the stars themselves? Early astronomers probably didnt have to work too long to notice some very apparent "laws" that governed their movements, then wondered what intelligence must has set them there?

sorry for the disjointed rambling, its just how my brain works.

• only me
    only me

Interesting

Pentograms show balance between the elements and spirit.

I think I have to add this to my research.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I was taught that the Fibbonachi sequence did not really include the zero, but there were two ones at the beginning, which ould make 144 the twelfth entry...

1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144 - edited because I mistyped the 144!

On a darker note, it has been discovered that the 3,184th Fibonacci number has 666 digits.

So, I guess you can make most any kind of coincidence look somewhat spooky.

• james_woods
    james_woods

And of course, there is an important and fundamental relationship between the Fibonacci series, the "Golden Ratio" phi, and the pentagram.

In a pentagram, on each of the iso triangles making up the points, the ratio of the long side to the short is the golden ratio - 1.618...(a continuing fraction).

The Fibonacci sequence slowly converges on this ratio also, if you consider the ratio of two subsequent numbers: 144/89 = 1.617978, and so on.

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

i dont know about "spooky" james. i just think the bible writers took information relating to astronomy/astrology/geometry and based their understanding and definition of god on that. these numbers have no "power" in and of themselves, ala "sacred geometry".

I just took that all as proof of its roots, that is, the study/worship of the stars and their movements.

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

i should of said instead of defining GOD using these mathematical rules, they defined how his heavenly court is oragainzed. that makes more sense.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I agree, Beta. Many "bible purists" are not willing to admit how much of Jewish Mysticism (which relied on numerology quite a lot) and later Hellenistic number theory found its way into the currently accepted Bible.

The Pythagoreans of approximately 5 B.C., for example, used the five-pointed star as the symbol of their sect, and they called it "Health".

Even the WT magazines have speculated on numerology in the bible - what was the significance of 5,6,7, 10, 12, 13, 1000, and other such famous biblical numbers mean? They do not seem to be at all squeamish about it, even if ancient "pagan" people freely used the same numers in religious literature.

They even made up one of their own - the 7,000 year long "creative day"...and that led them indirectly to 1975.

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

something else too; the inferior conjunctions of Venus, also known as Lucifer, or "light bringer", form a five-pointed star shape in relation to earth. Thusly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Venus_pentagram.png

btw, thanks for knowing what i was getting at, James.

• james_woods
    james_woods

You are quite welcome, Beta Male. I had not looked at this stuff in a while and you sent me into some interesting books this afternoon at lunch with your thread. BTW, that Pythagorean date should have said 5 centuries B.C., not just 5 B.C.

Another interesting idea is the seeming biblio-military obsession with the number 3. Some commentators note that in 2 Samuel, it comes up again and again:

David is said to have had "three warriors", later "thirty chiefs went down to meet David at the cave of Adulum", Gideon chose "three hundred men who lapped water with their tongues" to fight the Midianites, Saul chose "3 thousand men" to fight the Phillistines - who themselves had "thirty thousand chariots", and finally David as King later chose 30,000 Israelite men to fight the Phillistines.

The number 4 was thought to be that of "justice and order", for example - the four directions, the four winds, etc.

The number 6, the first so-called perfect number, also represented Creation, according to Hellinistic Jewish 1st century A.D. scholars, because God created earth & man in 6 days. They claimed that this time was not to be viewed as just "how long the job took", but rather how long God chose to do the creation in because this number was perfect. St. Augustine went along with this centuries later.

All pretty fascinating stuff, and it makes me wonder if a lot of this biblical notion of numbers might be more linked to other ancient religions than we think today.

James

• james_woods
    james_woods

OH, and BTW, Beta Male - yes of course I remember LOGO. My first computer was a 1975 Altair 8800 with the switches, so I was machine language only back then.

But I did later get a copy of LISP ( a real horror of a language, IMHO, but popular with the computer science guys and AI enthusiasts at the time ). And then, on to the CPM machines and the old Borland Pascal, and so on.

Still a computer systems architect today, working in C++ now though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit