440 Bethelites reassigned

by stillajwexelder 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

sir82, your math is a little off: $600 per month is $7,200 per year, which would ammount to an annual stipend cost of $3,168,000 for the 440 Special Pioneers. Health insurance would probably double that, bringing it to $6,336,000.

This brings up another BIG point: Health insurance premiums have been getting extremely expensive the past couple years, especially this last year. For the company I work for, it became the single biggest expense, more than the rent. Even though the Society gets a bulk discount, I'm guessing the prohibitive cost of health care is slowly shutting them down along with the rest of the American working class.

• sir82
    sir82

D'oh! I aren't a maths genius...

Presumably the reason so many Bethelites were let go was to save $$$ on health care for them. Minor stuff would have been taken care of "in house", but of those 2000 or so laid off, mostly in their 40's & 50's, how many would soon start having having "major" issues? Cancer, heart attacks, strokes, etc. For stuff like that, the Society would either have to pay for a big insurance policy, or just pay out the hospital bills. Ever seen the charge for treating Stage IV cancer? Or a debilitating stroke?

Better to save face & reward the top 20% performers of those laid off with continued health care. Those healthy enough for the grueling SP schedule are likely to cost less to cover anyway.

Plus, given that grueling schedule, as noted earlier, the Society probably expects the majority to drop off the SP list in a few years. Then of course they will be on their own for insurance.

So, the Society saves big $$$ & still appears to be "compassionate" by covering health care for a time for some laid off members. "Oh, you couldn't handle 130 hours per month in 100 degree heat / -20 degree cold? Too bad too bad it's your fault you have to go off the SP list...sorry we can't pay you anything any more..."

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Yep, I doubt the Society is very concerned with the 440 SPs on the books, knowing 80% of them will be gone in 3 years from burnout. Damn... it makes me so mad I wanna spit! [using my mother's language]

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

st. ann:

I have no idea who the accused troll was, but I'm sure if he comes with good manners he/she will be lovingly liked!

I only suspect crazy people.

tell em that we love all experiences, and we are sorry for the misunderstanding

cheech of the da

• Scott77
    Scott77

Now, you won't believe this, but....

A friend of mine, a young man, was fired from Bethel, sent home, sent packing, with no compensation, in 2006.

He came on this board and started talking about it but nobody believed him, they called him a troll, and he

was banned from the board. Now it's common knowledge about the "layoffs." I've tried to get him to come

back to the board. I hoped with an introduction from me, people might believe he's legit, since I actually know

him, he's been in my house, we're not just cyber-friends. He would have good info for you but I can't get him

to come back here yet.

StAnn

Hi StAnn,

Please, have him back. Is he here already?

• Cessa
    Cessa

It's no lie. It really happened. I should know. It happened to me.

• StAnn
    StAnn

SirNose, I have a dear friend who was booted out in 2006. Just sent home. No reassignment, no money, no insurance. His family told him NOT to tell anybody in their cong. If your family really, really wants to hear about it firsthand, PM me. I'm sure he'd love to have a telephone conversation with them.

St. Ann

• StAnn
    StAnn

Oops! I didn't notice Scott's post.

He doesn't really want to come here. He's moved on, became Catholic. He spends most of his cyber time at Catholic Forums.

But he will gladly speak personally with anyone who wants to know his Bethel story.

St. Ann

• Cessa
    Cessa

this is the post from which i discovered this site. i have been lurking for almost a year. i am not ready to come out yet. i have far too much to lose. But i will never forget. it was like my mother ate me.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Cessa, given how horrible my actual JW mother has been to me because I left the JDubs, I think I know exactly how you feel. Betrayal, betrayal, use you and then throw you away when they don't need you anymore.

St. Ann

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit