Are JW's allowed to go to Alcoholic's Anonomous?

by digderidoo 32 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Part of the sentence?

IMO I think forcing someone into AA and them being there against their will could have a negative effect on those that really want to be there.

Paul

• minimus
    minimus

In Massachusetts at least, if a person is found guilty of drunk driving, they are required by law to pay fines, go to mandatory education classes that highlight drinking and driving and go to a MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) meeting and at least one AA meeting.

• Sirona
    Sirona

JK

I was DF'ed for drunkenness, and I got my act together by going to AA. When I tried to get reinstated, it was strongly pointed out to me that I could get the help I needed through the congregation. I quit going to AA on the elder's advice, and tried to use one elder as my "sponsor."

It sickens me that you got DF'd for it. I heard a guy just got DF'd in the local congregation for drunkenness too. So right at the time when you need support and recovery, you get kicked out and shunned. What love.

Sirona

• blondie
    blondie

I attended Al-Anon groups. It is not required to say the Lord's prayer and in this area there are many people who attend that don't believe in God, so it is dropped. Some substitute the Serenity Prayer.

I found that when I asked the elders if they were going to provide 3 meetings a day, be available 24/7 and come and help even at 3 a.m. like AA and Al-Anon did, they backed off.

The big concern seemed to be "association" which I pointed out was waived to allow jws to work with non-jws.

Blondie

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I don't know how it's looked at here in FL but when I was in NY they would almost have df'ed you for going. ALL the elders and ms's were drunks up there and to admit that one of them had a problem would have been to admit that they ALL might have had a problem.

I remember my father getting very angry with my mother to the point of yelling at her to shut up and stomping out of the house for her saying that one of our friends up in canandaigua (sp) had a drinking problem after he (the friend not my dad) got into a drunken ARMED stand off with the police and was put in a forced alcohol rehab for six weeks. He wouldn't admit that this guy had a problem even though he lost his job and family and was living on the street. The elders argued that he wasn't an alcoholic and wasn't dangerous and one of the elders even threatened my mom with public reproof for refusing to let him come to the book study in our home as she felt he wasn't safe. Of course my mother being one of those jezebel influenced women's libbers she wrote the society and they backed her up (I'm sure the legal department was all over that!)

Anyway he was finally df'ed and then all of the sudden he had "just developed" this problem... Forget that this had been going on for at least a decade. As long as he was a witness they closed ranks and protected this guy (of course in the process they were denying him REAL help when it might have actually HELPED) it's kind of like the pedophile situation in a way.

This cult is sick and infuriating!!!

• compound complex
  • Dagney
    Dagney

I found that when I asked the elders if they were going to provide 3 meetings a day, be available 24/7 and come and help even at 3 a.m. like AA and Al-Anon did, they backed off.

The big concern seemed to be "association" which I pointed out was waived to allow jws to work with non-jws.

I bet they backed off.

Good arguement! Thanks Blondie.

• mind my own
    mind my own

I know my mom went at least a few times. That was when she was admitting she was an alcoholic. She didn't drink for a year or so. I don't think anyone in her cong. knew so I am not sure if they are allowed or not. Something tells me no b/c they should be relying on the elders, Jeh, and prayer instead.

MMO

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Hey Didg!

You might want to read up on the anti-smoking drug Chantix. I've read that this has a dual purpose. It seems that people that took the drug to quit smoking also lost their desire to drink alcohol and have really enjoyed the benefits. No treatment plan, no facility, no therapy.

Just a thought.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

"What???!!! Is the hand of Jehovah short??? Why do you choose to seek help from Satan's organization when Jehovah's loving, mother-like organization stands ready to help you shoulder your burdon???"

Damn, I really hate it when I make myself sick.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit