The Russell/Mason debate

by NikL 54 Replies latest jw friends

• NikL
    NikL

I have noticed there is some debate on this board about Russell and whether he was a mason or not. Some say he is a part of a conspiracy others say it is nonesence.
    I am, to be quite honest, not sure where I fit in this. I do find it interesting that Russell is buried under a pyramid in the Masonic section of a grave yard. Is this proof? Well, could you get your loved one buried in a masonic cemetary if they weren't a mason? Could you do it in the early part of the 20th century when Masons were more powerful?
    I have read some masonic literature from the 1800s (My grandfather was a 33rd degree member)and they mention Jehovah quite often. The whole system for interpreting the prophesies using pyramidology is masonic in nature. I think the evidence points to a masonic connection but I would love to hear evidence or reasoning as to why certain ones believe Russell was NOT a mason.

• MadApostate
    MadApostate
    I do find it interesting that Russell is buried under a pyramid in the Masonic section of a grave yard. Is this proof? Well, could you get your loved one buried in a masonic cemetary if they weren't a mason? Could you do it in the early part of the 20th century when Masons were more powerful?

Please provide PROOF that:

1. "Russell is buried under a pyramid."

2. "... in the Masonic section of the graveyard."

I have read some masonic literature from the 1800s (My grandfather was a 33rd degree member)and they mention Jehovah quite often.

Hell, with that kind of evidence, Russell and the WTS must have connections with every religious and quasi-religious organization that ever mentioned or published the name "Jehovah".

The whole system for interpreting the prophesies using pyramidology is masonic in nature.
    Based on your track record thus far, I would LOVE to see your PROOF of this "conclusion".

I think the evidence points to a masonic connection but I would love to hear evidence or reasoning as to why certain ones believe Russell was NOT a mason.
    WHAT "EVIDENCE"?
  • Fredhall
    Fredhall

Russell was a Christian

• NikL
    NikL

Hi Mad,
    Well, any evidence I speak of is obviously not first hand. I have never been to Pitsburgh nor have I seen the grave site. I am relying on accounts from others and in my little world I take everything with a grain of salt anyway. This includes my conclusions. If I come to some understanding and later find it is in error, I have the gift to abandon all of my previous erronious thoughts and go in the direction to which the newly aquired evidence or knowlege points.
    If you can give solid prrof that Russell was not
    a Mason I would love to see it.
    while you ask me for proof which I do not have, you have not provided proof for the viewpoint that you are so strong in putting forth, namely that Russell was not and never was a Mason.
    All I can say, it that in my reading of Masonic literature, there seems to be a simularity in many ways in believing that pyramids are somehow able to help break a code for telling the future and prophesy.
    Many of the symbols used in early Watchtower publications were Masonic in nature. You may argue this point but our arguments don't matter if neither of us has any definate proof. For whatever reasons you have come to the conclusion that there is no masonic connection. I on the other hand, feel there might be. If someone can give proof that there is no connection then I will gladly take your side on this issue.
    Does anybody have it?

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

NikL:

You began this thread with several specific "factual" statements, which I have asked you to prove.

Are you now trying to say that it is only your "opinion" that Russell is buried beneath a pyramid, and such is located in a Masonic graveyard?

Whether you intend such statements to be "factual" or "opinion", PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR PROOF OR AT LEAST SOME EVIDENCE on which you base your opinion.

I would also like to see some of this "evidence":

All I can say, it that in my reading of Masonic literature, there seems to be a simularity in many ways in believing that pyramids are somehow able to help break a code for telling the future and prophesy.
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

The Cross and Crown pin is a good start.
    It is a Masonic "Knight's Templar" device.
    This appears to be of American origin, however, according to my Scot's masonic friends.

• chasson
  • NikL
    NikL

Okay Mad,
    I don't have the time unfortunately to go in depth into the reasons that I have the "opinion" that Russell was a Mason. I can't proove a thing. Is that better? Make more sence? I am asking what your reasons are for your "opinion" as to why you think he was not. I really want to know, I don't want to argue or anything I am just curious.
    We form our opinions by what we see and our experience in life. What I might view as evidence or proof you may not. What are the things that lead you to your opinion? I am sure you have answered it already here somewhere but I am a hit or miss reader on this board and I miss a lot.

• anewperson
    anewperson

Some of the early 1900s books have the winged sun-god Ra on the front cover, another Masonry symbol never used by Christians

I'm not sure Russell is buried under the Pyramid which may be a monument marker but rather may be under the smaller tombstone that calls him, again I believe, the Second Laodicean Messenger.

Someone wrote before that his dad Joseph was a Mason as was his dad-in-law but that he himself though Mason-influenced was not officially a Mason. However others say he was and that there is a book with a picture in it of him in Masonry garb including the Mason's apron.

So, whether a member or not, he was influenced by Masons even as was the religion he founded. Masonry symbols or influenced have also been shown for Mormon, Unity and Christian Science.

• chasson
    chasson

Hi anewperson,

Could you read my three links before any other assertion ?

Thanks and after that we could talk on concrete material OK ?

Bye

Charles

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit