Tennasee- Witness man preaching to Goth Satanist gets family killed!!

by Witness 007 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Watching the Crime channell yesterday I saw a picture of a family that was murdered by teenage Gothic Satanists, I said to my self "they look like Witnesses"...and THEY WERE! One of the girls charged with murder said: "The man aproached me at the rest stop and asked me if I believed in God, he said he was a Jehovah Witness...." The four youth's are serving life in prison for shooting this man his wife and 2 kids. The baby boy was shot in the eye but survived....they ran over the parents as they drove off in their van. Very sad.

Why would he aproach them? You really should be careful who you preach to at isolated rest stops.

• flipper
    flipper

It is awful this family was killed , no matter what religious affiliation they were with. How tragic

• White Dove
    White Dove

I heard about this and have avoided rest stops since. I stop at restaurants and service stations.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

When and where did this happen?

• Balsam
    Balsam

A coal town where hard-rock mining has given way to hard times, Pikeville is a place where most kids will do anything to escape. Like in April of 1997, when one Pikeville girl and her five fellow teenagers took a road trip to hell.

But one Pikeville teen found solace in pentagrams rather than the church. A bright but brooding girl with a history of mental illness, Natasha Cornett longed to leave Pikeville's poverty behind her.

Transported via MTV and her trailer television, Natasha became fascinated with the Goth subculture of bands like Tool, Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson. She dabbled in the occult and dressed the part too, black clothes and blood-red nail polish.

Before long, Natasha's newfound sense of fashion attracted some followers. Their names were Crystal Sturgill, Karen Howell, Joe Risner , Dean Mullins and Jason Bryant.

As Natasha's miniature Goth movement gathered momentum, conservative and religious Pikeville was scandalized.

On April 6, 1997, Natasha, Crystal, Karen, Joe, Dean and Jason decided they'd had enough of Pikeville. Packed into Joe's car, the plan was to head for New Orleans, home of Goth heroes like occult author Anne Rice and her fictional Vampire Lestat.

Unfortunately for Natasha and her friends, the road-trip would turn out to be a blood-soaked horror story in its own right.

The five teenagers were barely over the Kentucky line before they realised neither their car, nor their money, would hold out for the trip.

But at a rest stop off I-81, the Good Lord or maybe the Devil provided everything they needed. That's where the traveling teens fell in with the Lillelids, a family of Jehovah's Witnesses heading home from a conference.

When the Lillelids offered to help the troubled teens and share a little of the gospel, Jason pulled a gun and the Goth gang kidnapped the family of four and loaded them into the Lillelid's van.

A few minutes later, at the end of a long gravel road, the kids from Kentucky pulled the Jehovah's witnesses out of the van, shot them and left them for dead. When a local farmer stumbled upon the Lillelids less than an hour later, the parents were dead and the two children, barely hanging on for life. Only two-year-old Peter would survive the night.

The police found Joe's car abandoned at the sight of the murders and launched a nationwide search for the teenagers. The group, who bypassed New Orleans, were apprehended in Arizona as they attempted to cross into Mexico.

But in Pikeville, the horror had just begun. The trial, held over the Tennessee line in Greeneville, tore Pikeville apart with allegations of abusive and alcoholic parents.

And, in their testimony, the teenagers tore into one-another, seeking to pin the murders on Jason, the one they said pulled the trigger. But in the end, the jury sentenced every member of the group to life in prison for their roles in the Lillelid slaying.

That hasn't, however, ended the finger pointing in Pikeville. As the town tries to understand what drove their children to become killers, many look to the easy answers of Satanism and the occult. But the truth may be much closer to home. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I remember well this story it was shocking and tragic. What insanity could bring such a tragic killing of a family. Ruth
  • MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

That article is sickening, the way the author dehumanizes the victims and tries to cull sympathy for the murderers. A fat middle finger for the "journalist" who wrote it!

EDIT: Make it TWO fat middle fingers.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I spoke about this family on another thread. My family studied with Vidar Lillelid, so my father was instrumental in bringing him into the JWs. So I knew him from the late 80's early 90's before he moved to TN. Tragic what happened to them!

A@G

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

terrible - it must have been so frightening for those poor people. Rest stops are dangerous. I never pull into a rest stop when I'm on the road. Too risky and some really freaky people hang out there.

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

I remember there was a big stir over this when it happened.

It's a terrible, terrible thing. Those poor people.

• VM44
    VM44

Why hasn't the Watchtower shown more concern for the safety of the people it sends to go door-to-door?

Sending people uninvited to strange homes just invites trouble!

What's worst in my opinion is when the Watchtower asked the public to board JWs when they came to conventions! Again, the Watchtower didn't know who these people were, or what would happen!

Although, I think this practice has been discontinued. Can someone verify that it has been?

Does the Watchtower really care about the well being of the Jehovah's Witnesses?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit