The (missing) brackets in the NWT

by kifoy 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kifoy
    kifoy

lost-in-time:

For example, Mathew 23:5:

Wow! A miracle just happened! I found brackets in my Norwegian NWT!
    "[scripture-containing] cases" is translated into "[skriftsteds]kapslene"

But it's interesting to notice that this bracket does not change the meaning of the verse, and there's no doctrine to question here...

• lost-in-time
    lost-in-time
    But it's interesting to notice that this bracket does not change the meaning of the verse, and there's no doctrine to question here...

They do it without brackets :))) The Kingdom Interlinear, 1. Cor 1:21:

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I have another question for the happy Norwegian and Croatian NWT owners.

A few months ago it appeared, on this forum, that recent NWTs (in Danish and Swedish, if I remember correctly), have shifted from the untenable "seventy years at Babylon" in Jeremiah 29:10 to the correct rendering "seventy years for (or, of) Babylon"...

What do your NWTs say? (I'm especially curious about the Croatian since it is the more recent).

• lost-in-time
    lost-in-time
    What do your NWTs say? (I'm especially curious about the Croatian since it is the more recent).
    10 “Ovako kaže Jehova: ‘Kad se navrši sedamdeset godina u Babilonu, pohodit cu vas i ispunit cu vam dobru rijec svoju da cu vas vratiti na ovo mjesto.
    Literal "u Babilonu" means "in Babilon", or "at Babilon".
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thanks l-i-t.

So it seems the "exceptions" were just that, and not a new pattern.

• kifoy
    kifoy

Jeremiah 29:10 says the following in my Norwegian NWT:

10 For dette er hva Jehova har sagt: ’I samsvar med fulbyrdelsen av sytti år i Babylon skal jeg vende min oppmerksomhet mot dere, og jeg vil stadfeste overfor dere mitt gode ord ved å føre dere tilbake til dette sted.’

"I Babylon" means "in Babylon", or "at Babylon". The same as the Croatian translation.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

They removed the brackets from the paperback editions of the English NWT - Col. 1:15, 16. You can find them in the old hardback editions. No mentions made of the wonderful changes (tongue in cheek) - just a quiet removal of brackets and pretend that the word was always there.

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

kifoy

Here is Finnish contribution for John 7:46:

1975 printed version: Virkailijat vastasivat: ”Koskaan ei kukaan [toinen] ihminen ole puhunut sillä tavoin.”

2007 CD: Virkailijat vastasivat: ”Koskaan ei kukaan toinen ihminen ole puhunut sillä tavoin.”

Markku

• lost-in-time
    lost-in-time
    They do it without brackets :))) The Kingdom Interlinear, 1. Cor 1:21:

ups, here is:

alt

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

l.i.t.: not really an addition imo, since kèrugma does refer to the message or content of the proclamation (what is proclaimed) rather than to the act of proclaiming... the "word-to-word" rendering of the KIT is imprecise in that particular case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit