Proclaimers Answered Page by Page
David A. Reed
|RELEASED at 1993s summer Divine Teaching District Convention, the book Jehovahs Witnesses-Proclaimers of Gods Kingdom is a new history of Jehovahs Witnesses. It replaces the 1959 history Jehovahs Witnesses in the Divine Purpose. A large volume of 750 colorfully illustrated pages, comparable only to the JW Bible dictionary Insight on the Scriptures in complexity and size, the new book is obviously the result of a major writing project. At JW conventions in the United Sates, where the book was first released, it was made||where the book was first released, it was made available only to district and circuit overseers, elders, pioneers, and Witnesses baptized for 30 years or more (20 years at some convention sites). With a first printing of only 500,000 copies, there would be enough for fewer than 1 in every 20 of the 11.5 million people attending JW meetings worldwide to receive a copy, so the Watchtower Society restricted the initial distribution to Witnesses with status or seniority. A larger printing was done later in 1993, resulting in more general availability. Major points of interest include:|
- Sugar-coated versions of embarrassing moments in JW history, designed to inoculate members against outside exposes.
- Revisions contradicting historical accounts printed earlier.
- Coverage of the sects post-1975 history not published until now.
- Extensive photographic coverage of the Watchtowers past and present leadership (a departure from recent custom)-including individual color portraits of the 12 Governing Body members as of January 1992 (on page 116).
- Extensive photographic documentation of the sects major real estate holdings around the world (a 50-page section, pp. 352-401, is devoted exclusively to full-color real estate photos!)-clearly adding up to billions of dollars in value.