Beards and dress clothes...

by B_Deserter 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• lawrence
    lawrence

White washed graves full of stinking and rotting bones! What a bunch of religious whores!

In Isaiah 53 the suffering servant:

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

Obviously no fine clothing, no latest haircut, no clean cut shave, no GQ look.

The WTS is so full of crap!

• lrkr
    lrkr

I think the JW dress code is a product of Brooklyn Heights and lower Manhattan. The GB, writing staff and Bethel family see bankers in lower Manhattan going to work in a full suit (probably the only people in the world that still work in suits- except for lawyers when they're in court). So they think that suits are what respectable people wear to work.

Beards are for hippies and college students (GB is terrified of the village, soho, NYU any area where there are free-thinking hippy homo types- their words, not mine)

If Bethel was in Montana, or Florida, or South America or anywhere else, I have a feeling that the dress code would be different.

Side note- Have you ever noticed that the pics in the magazines seem to never show a woman wearing pants (and especially never wearing jeans) You will see women working in gardens, cleaning houses, etc but wearing a dress..

What a victorian bunch.

• kifoy
    kifoy
    Have you ever noticed that the pics in the magazines seem to never show a woman wearing pants (and especially never wearing jeans) You will see women working in gardens, cleaning houses, etc but wearing a dress..

Yes, only "worldly" women wear jeans...

Happend to glance trough an Awake that we got from my parents, and here's actually a family where the woman and doughter wear pants! (September Awake 2007, page 23-25, at least in this Norwegian edition.) It's an article from Finland about berry picking. If the girls had wore dresses in these pictures, I know many, at least in the public, would feel it was really stupid.

But it's not something you see very often

kifoy

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

we had some elders insisting that women wear skirts or dresses to get togethers. No jeans or pants.....Finally their was a speacil needs talk given about it because it was so crazy!

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis

Last night in our Hall an elder referenced a verse in Leviticus on how the priests were to wear certain outfits. He then made the application that this shows that Jehovah cares about what we wear. he said another local church had a sign 'come as you are - god doesn't mind', and that was obviously wrong because of this scripture in Leviticus about what priests were to wear. i wanted to stand up screaming - can you misapply scriputure any more?

Morph

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I thought all those Mosaic laws were fulfilled by Jesus

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    This rule reminds me of a Circuit Overseer back in the 70's my dad was telling me about. This CO made it a rule that brothers in his circuit were not to wear colored shirts when on stage. He even had the congregations keep a stock of white shirts in the back room just in case a brother due to give a talk arrived without one. Eventually this made it to the DO, who promptly rebuked the CO, thereafter the ban on colored shirts was lifted.

This sounds like our CO in the 1970's. Very strict with the white shirt rule, it was the talk of the circuit. Then at the circuit assembly the DO stepped up on stage wearing a green shirt. You should have heard the buzz. That was the end of the white shirt rule in our area.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I haven't been to a meeting in 4 months, so imagine the surprise on the face of the elder who saw me this morning. I work at a hospital, and the aforementioned elder was bringing his wife in for a procedure, and had decided to go to our cafeteria for breakfast. When he first saw me his eyes got real big and I saw him say something to her, then she looks over, and her eyes get big as well. I wave to these two big-eyed visitors and sit down to eat my breakfast. Sure enough, here he comes, and don't get me wrong, I actually like this guy a lot. He's always been the one brother in the cong. that I could always stand to be around, so I didn't mind talking to him, except for the fact that I'm 3 weeks into a heavy beard-growing session. Even though he didn't say anything, it was obvious that he couldn't keep his eyes off of it. I kinda feel sorry for the poor dumb bastard cause he can't grow one.

sooner7nc

• TD
    TD
    Last night in our Hall an elder referenced a verse in Leviticus on how the priests were to wear certain outfits. He then made the application that this shows that Jehovah cares about what we wear.

LOL. By that wierd logic, beards should be compulsory. I wonder if he thought of that?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The congregation I first attended had the no sport coat/suit only rule. Also no colored shirts. I was counciled for my sideburns

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit