Is there a list of changes made in the New World Translation?

by Grammy 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tower Man
    Tower Man

You may want to listen to a 25 minute radio show on the subject of the NWT distortions. It's on this page. Scroll down: http://www.towertotruth.net/JW/jw_main.htm

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I'd echo drew sagan's word of caution, which the document posted by Atlantis nicely illustrates imo.

The looooong lists of NWT "distortions" are usually compiled from the naive perspective of readers who hold some old, "classical" version like the KJV to be "the Bible," period. All changes from there are considered corruptions. From a scholarly standpoint (and leaving stylistic issues aside) they are not necessarily (and, in fact, rarely) so.

As a rule of thumb I would recommend checking every suspected "distortion" against a modern version (like the NRSV or JB). And drop it if you find out that they basically agree: there's usually a fairly good reason (from textual criticism, philology or exegesis) for the change. The resulting list will be much shorter and much better.

Don't take me wrong: I'm not saying the NWT is a good version. But you will find many debatable renderings in all versions, so listing merely debatable renderings in the NWT won't lead you anywhere. Stick to the untenable, e.g. "Jehovah" in the NT, quotations marks on "Samuel" in 1 Sam. 28 -- and perhaps a few formal inconsistencies as moggy lover pointed out. That will make your case way stronger.

• onacruse
    onacruse

AlanF sent me a .pdf file (two pages) that show the NWT appendix listing of changes made, but I don't know how to upload them here. Any help would be appreciated.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Don't take me wrong: I'm not saying the NWT is a good version. But you will find many debatable renderings in all versions, so listing merely debatable renderings in the NWT won't lead you anywhere. Stick to the untenable, e.g. "Jehovah" in the NT, quotations marks on "Samuel" in 1 Sam. 28 -- and perhaps a few formal inconsistencies as moggy lover pointed out. That will make your case way stronger.

I agree 100% Narki. Well said.

The Oracle

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    The looooong lists of NWT "distortions" are usually compiled from the naive perspective of readers who hold some old, "classical" version like the KJV to be "the Bible," period. All changes from there are considered corruptions. From a scholarly standpoint (and leaving stylistic issues aside) they are not necessarily (and, in fact, rarely) so.

lol! You made some good points. Got to love those people who insist that the KJV is the only "true" Bible.

onacruse, you can use an online file unloader. It will let you host the file for free. rapidshare.com and megaupload.com are pretty popular choices.

• onacruse
    onacruse

drew, thanks! I've got the pages loaded up on rapidshare. Now how do I get them to c/p to a post here?

edit to add: If it would be easier, perhaps I can just email you the two files, and you could post them up?

• onacruse
  • drew sagan
    drew sagan

you're welcome onacruse

• wallsofjericho
  • kepler
    kepler

Did this discussion miss this one, or did I miss it in the discussion?

It's worthy of "Animal Farm".

----------------------------------------------------

NJB ( but not exceptional): Luke 23:42-43

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then he [the thief] said, 'Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.'

He answered him, 'In truth I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NWT:

'Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in paradise.'

---------------------------------------

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit