Is Smoking the practice of Spiritism?

by freedomfighter 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

OMG!!!

I can't stop being grateful of finding this forum! It is a real relief knowing that I'm not alone and a lot of people here understand me!

freedomfighter and monophonic: I’m also 35 yrs old, baptized at 17. I’ve been in medication for years. Diagnosed with GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) with constant panic attacks since my childhood. I don’t remember a day in my life that I went to school and I wasn’t anxious or nervous.

onacruse: Thanks for your explanation about how the “brain is simply looking for an "equilibrium". From certain point of view, medicating daily IS an addiction! Can I be disfellowshipped now for using Prozac??

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts!!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I do not advise smoking. Smoking has been proven, even by allopathic sources, to cause cancer and heart disease. It also pollutes the air, and if you have children, you do not want them exposed to what mainstream sources classify as a Class A carcinogen, right up there with asbestos. And it wastes money. It is quite stupid for anyone to start smoking.

Stupid, but not wicked. You are not practicing spiritism by putting this pollution in your lungs. Nor are you worshiping the Devil just by smoking. Aside from children and others that have to live or work around sidestream smoke, you are not hurting anyone other than yourself by smoking. If you can protect innocents from the effect of secondhand smoke, there is no reason why you should be punished additionally for it. The health effects are punishment enough.

As for being threatened after you are disfellowshipped, I wonder what tool they have to enforce it. If you don't ever want to go back, they have played their final card. What can they do about it, disfellowship you? And, since Jehovah can only everlastingly destroy you once, after that card has been played for the smoking, He really has a crappy hand left. He cannot destroy you for smoking and then destroy you again for apostasy or other loose conduct. I think the Tower has played its last card, and they only bluff when they threaten to get you in further trouble. I kind of find it amusing when they threaten you will be in serious trouble if you talk to others or use the recording of your judicial hearing in a clandestine way. After all, if you really don't want to go back, they can do absolutely nothing about it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Welcome FF.

My mother was disfellowshipped for smoking in circa 1974, though she had been inactive for 10 years or more.

They needed a whipping-boy I suppose, and my presense as a Jw made her visible enough to go after.

There is no connection between spiritism and smoking. Period. That is a huge leap, and the WTS knows it. Just like maturbation - if you can't find a scripture to support it, just make something up. It's all about control.

The really big scandal will occur someday when they find a member of the GB dead on the toilet, cigarrette in one hand, and penis in the other.

They would prob DF him after he was dead. Asses.

Jeff

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

freedomfighter welcome to the real world!

Now that I said hello, I am going to read your post :)

ootb

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

freedomfighter, welcome to JWD.

I agree with you 100%, the WTS has become what they accused all other religions of being.

I agree with PEC. ----------But SMOKING KILLS, It Killed my Dad and his Brothers.

alt

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration
    if smoking is drugs and drugs is spiritism, then anti-depressants are also spiritism

So is alcohol (hence alcohol is spritism) and I know MANY, MANY heavy drinkers in the truth. A lot of Elders to boot.

Even know a C.O. who's an alcoholic.

I'm a heavy drinker trying to control it myself and I take a drug (Xanax) to help with the not drinking.

Guess I should organize a Seance this weekend. Anyone wanna come?

Rediculous WT!

• onacruse
    onacruse

tooktheredpill:

Can I be disfellowshipped now for using Prozac??

Well, I was on Prozac for about 4 years, and the elders never asked a question. As the doctor explained, Prozac is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, and therefore operates somewhat differently than other substances. He said that what it does is simply allow the brain to reduce an unexplainable but accelerated loss of serotonin--it doesn't directly affect the production of neurotransmitters in the way the stimulants and depressants do. But then I took the blue pill, so what do I know? LOL

WTWizard, and others, I totally agree with you that use of nicotine in any form is ill-advised. I've smoked off and on for 30 years, sometimes taking several-year breaks...and I need to do the same again. Whatever I might say against the classification of smoking as spiritism shouldn't be construed (not that you did) in any way as a defense of smoking as a healthy life-choice. But one thing I have found interesting: Some people smoke for decades, and live to a ripe old age. It makes me wonder if it isn't more a matter of how our genes have mapped out both the way we live, and the manner of our death.

• onacruse
    onacruse

5thgen, hang in there. I've been a heavy drinker ever since I went to Bethel (yes, that was where I learned to drink). In fact, my very first post on JWD had to do with that characteristic of Bethel life. And, as with smoking, I've taken some long breaks from drinking, sometimes with help from AA, sometimes without.

My brain is still trying to that elusive equilibrium. Perhaps a seance would be in order. LOL

• freedomfighter
    freedomfighter

I live in Australia and its breakfast time. Have just read all your comments and i appreciate your feedback.

Yes smoking is very bad for you and this is well documented. As i am married with a son of 8yrs old i am taking the steps to quit very soon. I think this was my "Ticket" out of the organisation and it has served it's purpose. I have told my wife that i am quitting (I smoke 6 per day), and not to get her hopes up that i am returning to the witnesses because that's NEVER going to happen. She understands.

As you all realise, there is a double standard within the organisation. I laughed at the comment of a GB member being found dead on the toilet with his dick in one hand and a smoke in the other! Ya know what? Nobody would ever find out. It would be covered up quick smart.

My Dad is an elder and I'm sure from judicial hearings he must know deep down "Something's not right".

Yes i am FREE and no man will judge me. "Man has dominated Man to his injury" Sound familiar?

Thanks to everyone who read my 1st topic. I have many others to come in time.

• monophonic
    monophonic

just knowing fellow humans share your experience and you're not weird for having panic and anxiety is actually a great help.

it's great to find comrads.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit