Where is "the Judge" buried?

by CatholicGuy 13 Replies latest jw friends

• CatholicGuy
    CatholicGuy

One of "Judge" Rutherford's last wishes was to be buried at his beloved "Beth-Sarim," the house that was built in San Diego to house the "princes" that would rule the earth after Armageddon. The local authorities would not permit his burial there and the JWs started quite a campaign in _Consolation_ (later _Awake!_) to have his wishes fulfilled. Witnesses even circulated petitions door to door (a lot of the "Kingdom preaching" hours in 1942 was time spent circulating petitions to submit to authorities to allow the Judge's burial at Beth-Sarim. The local authorities would not budge. Eventually, the Society gave up (seems like a couple of months were involved here--perhaps someone has access to the details in the older publications and could post it) and claims the "Judge" was privately buried back in New York (I believe at the property the Society had on Staten Island where WBBR studios were at).

The rumor that the Judge's last wish was secretly fulfilled has not gone away. I remember talking with a friend who had visited Brooklyn back in the mid-80's and in someone's room at Bethel had met Fred Franz. In the course of the conversation my friend asked him: "Where's Judge Rutherford buried?" The reply was a quick: "Beth-Sarim." If this is true one has to ask: "Who's buried in Rutherford's grave?" (Certainly, not Ulysses S. Grant!) Is it empty? Perhaps if ex-JWs ever do purchase the property where Beth-Sarim is a shrine should be erected to mark the spot where he is buried? Not a pyramid, however...

CatholicGuy

not my webpage but a favorite:
    http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZHOME.HTM

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Who cares?

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Freddypoo,
    I think I know where Da Judge is buried. Is he buried in your cat litter along with the predictions of 1975?

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

In your wet dreams Jayhawk1

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Freddypoo,
    I like your new picture. The red X suits you so.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• CatholicGuy
    CatholicGuy

In a real sense Fredhall is right on this. What's the big deal about where JFR is buried? Back in 1942 the WTS was determined to fulfill Rutherford's wishes so much so that JWs distributed petitions to give to San Diego officials to permit his burial at Beth-Sarim. In retrospect, it was one dumb mistake. Of course, whether or not the Society told the truth when they said he was buried in New York instead of California doesn't matter to many JWs. They'll accept anything the Society says without complaint.

Does anyone know whatever happened to the cemetery that was at the Staten Island truck farm where JFR is supposed to be buried? Does the Society still own that? Does the cemetery still exist?

CatholicGuy

not my webpage but a favorite:
    http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZHOME.HTM

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

You care SirFRED, or at least you care that people care ;)

unclebruce, who stiill wants to go dig up the Judges scull for an ash tray.

PS: Where you gonna getting buried SirFRED? .. (just in case armageddo gets delayed again)

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

If Fred Franz said that Judge Rutherford was buried in Beth Sarim then he was buried in Istanbul. That's how accurate the information from Fred Franz has proven to be.

In reality, knowing how the society works, they probably hauled his sorry carcass over to the Meadowlands and buried him in the trunk of an old Oldsmobile.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

thanks drahcir,

Which way is it to Meadowlands Istanbul?

unclebruce

PS: The wife rarely says much JW but recently took me completely by surprise by expressing concern lest Kent be given concrete boots and dropped off the Brooklyn bridge.

• linzion
    linzion

Did anyone think to ask Jimmy Hoffa when he was alive? He might have known.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit