Devouring the Forbidden Fruit - Higher Education

by cappytan 36 Replies latest jw friends

• cappytan
    cappytan

Well, I told my wife over the weekend I was going to go back school to finish my degree. She is 100% supportive of it! Apparently she doesn't think Higher Education is so evil either.

Since my former major was computer programming and that was in the late 1990's, I was told I'd have to retake a bunch of classes since times have changed.

Since that's the case, I've decided to go to school for what I wanted to in the beginning. Science.

I will be starting to pursue my B.S. in Biology this summer semester. It will take me quite a while to finish since I have to work full time, but it's a start. Once I'm done with Biology, I would only have to take a handful of other classes to be awarded degrees in Physics and Chemistry as well.

Unfortunately, since I work for a local government organization, there are no tuition reimbursement programs I can take advantage of. I may have to get some loans or try for some small scholarships, but since I'm anticipating to be taking no more than 8 credit hours per semester, I can probably afford it out of pocket a little at a time.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Awesome! That'll also give you a good excuse not to be given any "privileges" and help you miss the cult meetings. It's definitely never too late to go back to school.

Do you know what type of career you want to go into once you get the degree(s)?

• user100
    user100

cappy..i'd make sure you can get a job after the degree.. I wonder what you will be able to do with a BS in biology.. around here theres a ton of pharmaceuticals so it would be good.. but i wonder what its like where you are..

computer science will get you a job anywhere.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Outstanding! There are a number of people on this site who have returned to school and got their degrees.

The discouragement of higher education is another 'reckless' policy JW's have to endure.

March 6 2012 letter to Elders:

"Of course, education is an essential part of Christian life, and we highly value it. Education equips us to care for our responsibilities, both material and spiritual. (1 Tim. 5:8) However, Satan, the master of deception, has made the pursuit of higher education dangerous for a Christian. (2 Cor. 11:14) Many of our young people have been misled from the faith or have become involved in immorality as a result of pursuing higher education. The "fight for the faith" is especially challenging when one leaves the good influence of his home and congregation and places himself in the university environment."

• done4good
    done4good
    Great to hear!
  • done4good
    done4good

user100-

cappy..i'd make sure you can get a job after the degree.. I wonder what you will be able to do with a BS in biology.. around here theres a ton of pharmaceuticals so it would be good.. but i wonder what its like where you are..

Always pursue your passion first. Employment will follow. I say this as a hiring manager. Personally, I look for two things, 1. Obviously demonstrating one has the basic skills required or aptitude to learn them, and 2. Critical thinking skills. A degree in almost any area will teach you #2. I work in technology and recently hired a double BS in psychology and sociology because she met the two requirements above. She is my best employee.

d4g

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Do you know what type of career you want to go into once you get the degree(s)?

I'm not sure, but I can definitely teach until I figure it out. Teachers in my area make about the same as what I'm making right now. Science teachers are always in high demand - I could probably get a job as a Science teacher anywhere in the Country.

I would love to pursue a masters and, if I had the drive, a doctorate in Physics at a later date. But for now, I'll eat the elephant one bite at a time.

Career-wise, I don't really care. I'm fascinated by the subject of all Sciences and the thought of studying them academically appeals to me.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good for you, cappytan.

I'm glad your wife is in favour.

I hope you enjoy your studies.

• cappytan
    cappytan

I currently have a job in the Computer Science field without the degree. My experience in the field is extensive, so I pretty much get any job I apply for. Recruiters are always calling me to see if I'm interested in other positions.

The only real reason I took classes on this subject was because JW's convinced me that it would be easier to support myself pioneering as a programmer / designer. I soon found out that there weren't many decent part-time programming positions out there.

Also, Computer Science will get you a job in any major city, however the jobs in the rural areas (which I prefer) are scarce.

Unfortunately, I don't truly enjoy this field of work. I find joy in getting things done and accomplishments, but I don't really like what I do.

My ultimate purpose in going back to school isn't really to further my career, but to study something that I love.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

If you have already been employed in the field of computer technology for some time you don't need to worry about getting a degree in that field. Pursue what you love while your other job continues to pay the bills and put food on the table.

Funny that you are interested in Biology and Physics. I was actually interested in taking some courses just for fun in molecular/unicellular biology. I'm near retirement age so not looking for a new career. My 30 plus years experience programming in telecommunications/networking made this possible.

I am also a 'rural' type guy although at the moment I work in the city but get to work remotely a couple of days/week. Last 4 years I worked remotely from home (next to national forest - think moose/boars/fox/etc) and beautifully clear skys at night.

Good luck and best wishes...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit