NWT on Jeopardy- NOT

by OnTheWayOut 6 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So I get an email from a JW, good friend. He sends a bulk mail that was sent to him and spread around.
    Notice the main content:

Subject: Fw: Bible Accuracy Recently on Jeopardy on TV, the questions was- What is the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?
    No one got the correct answer, so Alex Trebek said "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, printed
    by Watchtower Bible Tract Society.

So here was my answer: I researched Jeopardy archives, pretty easy to do. The site is J-archive.com. Just search for "Bible" and all
    the questions for a year or more come up. Search "New World Translation" and nothing comes up. This
    would be an opinion question, not a fact question, so they would avoid such a question. There was no such
    question with Alex saying "New World Translation." I googled the subject and it is discussed in various places
    on the web. This is the best possible reason why this untrue statement is circulating:
    it's a POWERPOINT GAME someone made up and posted on the internet and called it "Theology Jeopardy."
    It isn't the TV Jeopardy, and any common sense adult thinking person would know they would never endorse
    one over the other. For all we know, a Jw posted it and then used it as proof. Be careful what you email. Don't assume it's true because you read it.
  • jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

you believe everything you read, better not read. Japanese proverb ...

A lie travels round the world while truth is putting her boots on.
    French Proverb

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Japanese proverb ...

I love it.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings OTWO,

If you've ever seen the JEREMIAH FILMS video "Jehovah's Witnesses," you would have heard both Julius Mantey and Bruce Metzger give their opinion of the NWT. In one interview I recall the word "sham" being used. This was a potent and verifiable account of two scholars' condemnation of 'the most accurate translation.'

CoCo

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Here is Julius Mantey's signed letter threatening to take legal action and demanding an apology from the WT Society:

http://www.thejehovahswitnesses.com/index.php/2007/05/01/dr-julius-manteys-letter-to-the-watchtower-society-july-11-1974/

-ithinkise

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks ITIS.

JW's as a whole are fully convinced of the scholarly value of the NWT.
    If they would only examine the facts for themselves. I was just as guilty.

So happy I know better now.

• monophonic
    monophonic

i couldn't fathom this being a question on jeopardy as there's no definitive answer.

wasn't most of the NWT a rip off of another translation? (as i wrack my brain for remembering while having a glass of kettle one)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit