The floodgates are about to open in the UK.. Sunday Times article

by defender of truth 43 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Jehovah church faces flood of sex abuse cases

"A WOMAN who was abused from the age of four by a senior officer of the Jehovah’s Witnesses has lodged a £500,000 claim for compensation in a test case that could open the door to hundreds more suits involving members of the religious organisation in the UK."

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Crime/article1525363.ece

• cofty
    cofty

Excellent to see this in a respected broadsheet.

Unfortunately the online version is only available by subscription.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Can someone please make a scan of the full article, and post it here?

Or does anyone subscribe to the Sunday times and want to share any more details?

• DJS
    DJS

Re: a "£500,000 claim for compensation"

Is there a limit in the UK for lawsuits of this type? £ 500,000 isn't that much, about 750,000 US dollars if my conversion is accurate. In the US I would expect this lawsuit to be in the $10,000,0000 range, especially considering her age at the alleged abuse. Am I missing something here my British friends? The US is too litigious, but, if the circumstances are as she suggests, this is a pittance to request.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Cofty said: "Unfortunately the online version is only available by subscription."

I know, its a shame.. But i just noticed there is a 30 day trial for £1. Not promoting, just mentioning it in case anyone wants to read it without paying out for a long term subscription ;)

"The Digital Pack

The tablet edition 7 days a week

Smartphone app

7 day access to both websites

Access to Times+

View full details

£1 For the first 30 days

1 month minimum term"

http://store2.thesundaytimes.co.uk/?ILC=INT-TNL_The_Sunday_Times-The_Sunday_Time-teaser_button_-2014_02_19-128

• bemused
    bemused

It's quite a big article and prominently displayed - there's no way any JW reading the paper could miss it. This is described as a test case with 'dozens, if not hundreds' of further cases awaiting the outcome. The lawyers in this case alone have six further clients who may go ahead if the WT lose this one.

There are references to the two-witness rule and victims being forced to meet with the perpetrators. The Candace Conti verdict is mentioned (but not the appeal) so any JW reading this article will think the WT have lost £18m of funds already.

Overall, a highly negative article, which may well be picked up by other national newspapers. It will probably need more than a Governing Body denial video to stop disquiet spreading in the ranks.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

There you go..

• cofty
    cofty
    Thanks
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Having had a nice Sunday morning at home (instead of sitting in the JW dot ORG property, I'll pop out and buy this lovely newspaper!

Thanks for the info!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

He was in prison for five years for assaulting another child. When he came out 'Abigail' went to the elders terrified the abuse would start up again. They said because of the two witness rule they would do nothing and he would be reinstated as a MS.

This monster told her as a child of between five and nine, when the abuse was going on, she would die at Armageddon for their fornication. Wonderful people they have as ministerial servants and as Flipper pointed out in his thread they have no rule against reappointing a convicted pedophile after some 'time has passed'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit