When JW parents shun their df'd children...and grandchildren

by Paisley 30 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Well I am not df'd or da'd and I got a ltr from my mother saying that out of love for me, until I become a good little jw again, she cannot have anything to do w/ me and I have not heard boo from her and I know her well enough to know I will not. But to me that is her choice and I said so in a ltr to her.

I was just wondering...is there any legal avenues you can take against jw's for shunning? Doesn't it equate with slander etc?

I am not making fun of anyone, but I always have to laugh when people pull out the whole "sue em" mentality. First of all "slander" and "libel" have a specific legal definition. Black's Law Dictionary will provide it in full as well as any state case law will give the elements of "slander" and "libel". Let me assure you as someone who has helped brief a case where we sued a major t.v. company, it is very hard to prove the elements of libel and we have taken it all the way to the appeals court and lost. JWs being a religion can claim essentially the same thing as a gym where there is a membership and you can be kicked out. JWs no longer say "so&so df'd for fooling around on his wife", they say "so&so no longer a jw". So in other words your membership has been revoked.

Most of the state cases involving JWs who have sued because of the df'ing and/or da'ing thing have lost. The hurdles a person would have would be 1) getting an atty to represent you, unless you have the money to pay them their hourly rate; 2) successfully avoiding a motion for summary judgment where the hired WTBTS guns would say "you knew what you were getting into when you got btz'd" and in most cases unless you were a wee lass (i.e., some states say a 7 year old cannot be held for murder if they kill someone because they do not understand intent, etc.) they would probably win; and 3) if you look at the various cases out there involving this, the court's feel that if you know the religion's standards and you go against them (i.e., in the case of the guy living w/ his GF who was preggers at the time of his df'ing) then clearly you don't want to be one any more, so why fight it when they say you are no longer one.

Of course we all know there is more to it then just saying something negative (slander), but the fact that our family will not talk to us because we are deemed a reproach. But for argument's sake, say the US court prevents the WTBTS from saying someone is df'd or da'd, the religion would still get around it some how, like the whole "we don't mark people any more" ... that is right they don't announce it from the hall, the elders spread the word to their wives who fill the halls with the news and then next thing ya know, no one is willing to talk to you any more. The shunning thing is the control aspect of the religion, end of story.

Listen, for someone who feels the pain of having their mother tell her that a mother's love is not unconditional but rather conditional on a lunatic religion, I wish we could sue them and change that policy, but it is unrealistic and I would not clog up the judicial system more then it is already clogged up by silly lawsuits.

Do I fully blame the religion NO my mother is just as accountable. And say years from now if she changes her tune, will I forget her past behavior. No, there will always be that cloud of when will it happen again.

• LSD123
    LSD123

i left the witness's 6 years ago after having "grown" up in the organization since the age of 2. i got married to my high school sweetheart who happens to be "worldly" i hate that word!!!!!!! i just dont understand that just because i did something that i should of gotten disfellowshipped for, i wasnt cause i didnt "confess" my parents said i "spit in jehovahs face" but still continue to "associate" with me even though if i had confessed, in the elders eyes, i would not be deemed worthy enough to even look at. i dont see why they have to wait to get permission from the elders before they shun me. they should do it because they feel in thier heart they should. i dont understand the logic. live your own life for gods sake!!!!!!!!! wintesses are just a crutch for weak minded people. ( in my oppinion)

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Welcome LSD - and

wintesses are just a crutch for weak minded people. ( in my oppinion)

I agree w/ that opinion

• skeptic1914
    skeptic1914

Like mcsemike I am not df'd or da'd but pretty much faded. I thank God that my (2nd) wife (JW) who knows I have read COC, ISOCF, GTR and who knows I visit "apostate" websites and went to BRCI last year accepts that this is where I need to be right now and loves me anyway. If my first wife had even a whiff of this she would have hauled me to the elders and been the first one to nail me to the cross/stake. Different story with my kids and Mom. When I honestly expressed to my son a few years ago why I could not accept the 1914 platform of much WT doctrine he felt compelled to go to the elders about this. To his credit, though, he does not shun me. I wrote letters to my younger daughter and her husband explaining honestly why I could not accept 1914/dfs/gb etc. I have barely talked to my daughter or her husband since then (about year and a half). My mother, while wishfully thinking I'm still a true believer because I usually go to Sunday mtg w/my wife, still makes clear..."If you're not in the "Truth", you're no son of mine."

Skeptic1914

• justhuman
    justhuman

I believe the WATCHTOWER it is the worst cult in the entire world. But what you can expect from a guy like Russell and Rutherford, full of occultic activities and having NO IDEA what the Bible really is about.

However my expierience living in the other part of the world indicates that Watchtower it is not so powerfull regarding shunning...and I'm very glad of that

Have in mind that we Greeks have STRONG family bonds, it seems that they cannot be harmed very much from a man made religion made in U.S.A

Just to give some examples of what I'm really talking about.

1. I have been disfellowshiped for apostasy six months ago. My mam and my sister still talk to me like nothing happened. I visit her for the weekends with my 2 children and she is acting like nothing happened

2. One of my cousins she got baptized and married in a Greek Orthodox church. Still all of my JW relatives speak to her, and visit her

3.Another cousin of mine she got married and her father in law who was disfellowshiped few years ago, was present ALL THE way from the start of the wedding ceremony untill the end, end to the weding reception he stood next to his son.

4.A friend of mine that was disfellowshiped all his relatives still speak to him like nothing happened.And his relatives are elders, and ms.

5.A friend of mine that has written a book regarding leaving the WATCHTOWER CULT, and it was puplished by Greek Orthodox Church, his relatives speak to him and also some brothers have read the book(that also indicates some wrong teaching of the WT, like 607, the Great Crowd, if the Church has ever been an apostate, and some other vital teaching of the WT that have no Biblical stand)

6. Another family friend and to my parents also, that has been disfellowshiped, when he comes on holidays he visits his relatives, parents, and they are happy to see him. Also he visits my parents because they were friends since childhood, and they even invite him for a dinner!!!

This are just few examples that I have in mind at the momment.

It is obvious that when we have STRONG FAMILY BONDS, and specially this bonds have their basis to the Greek Orthodox Church, that for thousands of years stands the pillar of Christianity in the World, a cult that was set up just few years ago, CANNOT preveil the family union.

• Mary
    Mary
    Does anyone know, or have heard of someone sueing the JW's for this?

Some have tried suing and have lost. Most recently: Barbara Anderson who had a damn good case. Presently, both in Canada and the USA, the governments still views Freedom of Religion as a blank cheque. The problem is: the WTS is one of the very, very few religions/cults that practice such an extreme form of shunning. Most of the religions realized long ago that it was neither Christian or in their best interests to treat people in such a shit fashion. The goons and thugs in charge, namely, the Governing Body members, don't give a damn how many families they tear apart or how many people commit suicide----they want and demand continuous worship from the R&F and will do anything to try and prevent members from leaving.

The best thing we can do is continue to expose them for their hypocrisy, their false prophecying, their lying, their coddling of pedophiles and their insane doctrines of the past so that more and more leave the fold.

• Gill
    Gill

My husband's parents completely shun us and our children. They have not acknowledged their 7 year old Grandaughter for five years now and turn their heads away from her if they see her walking by their house, only 100 yards up the road. The ignore our other children also. It's in their best interests to ignore me, as they might not like what I say to them!

My parents NEVER shun us no matter how much earache I give them about the WTBTS!

However, the rest of my family, the ones who are still JW, seems to depend on their mood and wind direction whether they ignore us or not!

• annalice
    annalice

My husband and I are not df'd (yet) We have just faded out over time and no longer go or believe the witnesses beliefs.We have a 17 month old who has never had his grandparents, my husbands parents, visit him ,even though they only live about 30 minutes away from us. We did at first drive to their house every month so they could see the baby but have stoped doing that as of this past August,and since then we have not recieved one phone call asking how he is doing or a visit ,even though every time we went there we always made sure to tell them to stop over whenever they wanted , that they were always welcome. I am due March 30 to have our second baby and since we told them that I was pregnant when I was only 5 weeks along they have not once called to see how I am doing and how the pregnancy is going. So now our problem is do we even bother to tell them when we are having the baby? will they even bother to come to the hospital? or will we be rejected by them once again. I am not so concerned for my son and soon to be second son, my family who are not witnesess showers our son with love and attention. But I feel very bad for my husband who has to see his parents acting this way. Because they are dissapointed with our decisions they are shunning out inocent children ? that just makes me sick that people can just be so cold like that. What kind of witness is that giving us? is that suppossed to make us go back? They call that LOVE!? I have seen more love and understanding from who we were trained to call "worldly people",than I have seen from witnesses.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I have been df'd and shunned by my family for 30 years. My parents have seen my children, 2 out of 3, only once. The day they were born. Since then, not a card, call, or visit. The baby, 7 years old now, not even once.

Thank you watchliar sociopath society.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

To Winnie: I agree, it's total insanity. How could a loving God wish any human being to suffer like this? Parents shun their children, who often go and commit suicide. The WT has stated that "anything the DF'd person does or happens to them is THEIR fault because they turned their backs on Jehovah". But this is a lie. They only questioned the obvious lies and unchristian beliefs of a corporation. How is this being "against God"?

And what of the Bible principle about "the son not paying for the sins of the father" and so forth. Why are the grandchildren being shunned because the parents are DF'd?? What did they do wrong??

To tell you the truth, if I had parents who wouldn't see my children because I DA'd myself, I'd consider my parents to be INSANE and wouldn't let them within a mile of my kids. Who knows what they'd do or say? Doesn't the world have enough problems without what could be perfectly happy families playing these stupid demonic games?

To the WT lurkers: You are ALL stark raving mad. I'll go on TV and give my name and tell the world if you'd be honest enough to join me and admit to what you do. You lie in court, you slander good people, you brutalize people who don't agree with you. You published an article decades ago bemoaning the fact that you couldn't kill apostate relatives. Guess what?? I'm sorry that YOU can't all be killed. You do more damage than any group I've ever heard of in the entire country. Your insanity knows no limits. You keep gloating that God will reward you for being martyrs. He might just kill you for being genetic mistakes. Oh, you don't believe in evolution. Maybe he'll "uncreate" you then. As in "permanently remove you from the universe". Then you can't hurt people anymore. That's what I call Paradise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit