Convention Hotels

by Billzfan23 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

I have heard an experience a thousand times (in conversation as well as from the platform) of a person who had a talk on the district convention program that did not stay at a hotel on the recommended lodging list. This person was spotted by a fellow conventioner and was asked why he was staying at a hotel that was not on the list and happened to be just across the street from the convention location. His reply was that he has a part on the convention and it would be more convenient for him to stay there than use one of the approved hotels. The story continues that the report gets back to the convention overseer and he tells the chairman to do the offender's talk that day at the convention because the brother failed to follow direction. Anybody else hear this story and can anyone validate its truth or falsehood? Doesn't this sould like it is made up - not unlike the adopted kid story with the "little golden book"?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It sounds like a story that a CO/DO would tell, but not necessarily true. Either that or it's
    an old story- from the first few years when they started saying to stay at the listed Hotels
    or else.

This is so totally ridiculous. I can imagine that soon JW's will lose privileges for
    sneaking out for fast food at lunch time.

• blondie
    blondie

I didn't hear that story but was told that brothers would stand by those hotel doors and take down the names and congregations of the people who were leaving to go to the convention. Then they passed the names on to the PO of that congregation to help "adjust" the flock. On 2 occasions it turned out that the PO was one of those staying in an unlisted hotel.

Blondie

• Zico
    Zico

Isn't there a committee formed that choose who do the talk? I don't think the Convention Overseer has that power. And I think they'd prefer not to give someone a talk on such short notice at a Convention.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    I don't think the Convention Overseer has that power. And I think they'd prefer not to give someone a talk on such short notice at a Convention.

Yes, they do have that power. I attended a certain international convention (55,000 in attendance) and was posted adjacent to the chairman's office for some work in the newsroom. The brother who I got a ride with was the one who would have had to take over and deliver the part if the speaker deviated from the manuscript too far. He sat in a small quiet booth highlighting the words the speaker missed or changed on each manuscript given. If the speaker went too far or twisted the message of the talk he had a protocol all arranged on how to proceed down to the floor past the security points and to the podium. He asked me to occompany him if such an event occured, in order to inform the internal watchmen and so forth what was going on.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I probably could have gotten into trouble years ago. When it was time to eat, instead of going to the cafeteria at the assembly at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Indiana, I walked down to the college cafeteria and ate with the nuns. The food was a lot better and cheaper! Ummmm...........

Outaservice (who also drove down the road a little ways so as not to pay the JW's to park) Not that I was cheap, but did not want to support the Society in anything I could get out of.

I also stayed in an unapproved Hotel along with many other brothers!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Daniel: I have never been to a convention where anyone was kicked off the podium, so to speak. Has that ever actually happened? Does anyone else know of any such thing? And if it DOES happen, then it would seem that the convention talks that are disputed or being said to be given w/o WT approval would not actually exist, right? They are all policed to make sure that they have WT approval.

Post I am referring to: Yes, they do have that power. I attended a certain international convention (55,000 in attendance) and was posted adjacent to the chairman's office for some work in the newsroom. The brother who I got a ride with was the one who would have had to take over and deliver the part if the speaker deviated from the manuscript too far. He sat in a small quiet booth highlighting the words the speaker missed or changed on each manuscript given. If the speaker went too far or twisted the message of the talk he had a protocol all arranged on how to proceed down to the floor past the security points and to the podium. He asked me to occompany him if such an event occured, in order to inform the internal watchmen and so forth what was going on

• undercover
    undercover

I've never seen anyone removed from the stage either...but I have seen the "checker" reading along and marking his copy of the manuscript.

Back to the hotels...I remember one year when several of the hotels on the "approved" list were substandard. It caused quite a bit of murmuring among those who were staying there. The obedient but upset dubs went to the rooming dept. and complained while the more resourceful and independant dubs who were unhappy about their accomodations acquired rooms in better hotels on their own.

One brother told me that he was just trying to not have a "complaining spirit" and wanted to save the hard working brothers the trouble of having to relocate them when he knew he could do it himself. So what reward did he get for being self-sufficent and uncomplaining? Counseled for not following directions from the WTS on how to handle his rooming arrangements.

I never had that problem because I went to great lengths to find out the hotels on the list before it was announced at our hall (being the hall with the latest in the week service meeting). As soon as I acquired the list, I made my reservations. Technically I was following the list, but was not following the procedure on when to make reservations. I learned the hard way to not wait because everyone else not following the rules already had the best rooms.

Finally, the last year or two of traveling to DCs, I just picked my favorite hotel, damn the list, and stayed in the nicest hotel within walking distance of the coliseum.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Hey, Outaservice! I stayed in South Bend a few years back (was working up the road in Elkhart putting in a system at the old Bayer factory building).

I looked for and found the KH out there, but repented of my idea of actually going there, and went and had Olive Garden instead... Why is that Hall way on the ass end of town? Is it too Catholic toward the town center?

Saw Touchdown Jesus at the stadium and everything! Did the brothers cover him up with a tarp during the convention? (No lie, I have been to get-togethers at "community halls" where the seasonal decorations are covered up so as not to offend "the friends").

Nice little town! Very green and pastoral past the city limits. I imagine Winter is a little cold though.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread...

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I recall this incident very well. If it happened in the same city your talking about.

It was in Hamilton Ontario, the Hotel was the Sheraton directly across the street from the staduim. It is factual. The chairperson asked if anyone is staying at a hotel motel not on the Society's List. He said that after morning sessions to meet in such and such a part of the staduim. Here they were reminded of being faithful in big things and little things and the fatihful and discreet slave, and if you can't obey the WTS now, how will you be able to follow instructions with the coming of Armeggadon and the new system of things.

Apprently many were raked over the coals no matter what thier statis was in the organization.

In all the years I was a witness (38) I have never seen or heard of a person being removed from the podium. Maybe it was just a few times this happened. But like I said that is news to me.

If I couldn't stay in the motel across from the stadium I wouldn't go to the convention. Because I was ill and I bet you a ton of money that those who were elderly and infirm and living in Bethel stayed in the rooms across the street from the stadium. I didn't care how much it was if I wanted to go and stay I would. And I wouldn't tell anyone either.

Orangefatcat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit