JWs in world politics: Jehovah's Witnesses Are "Politically" Neutral - NOT

by Dogpatch 53 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• rosa
    rosa

Look at this goals found in OASCE website: http://194.8.63.155/item/20056.html Freedom of religion or belief Across the OSCE region, many individuals and groups face restrictions on their right to freedom of religion or belief. Problems include discrimination against individuals in the workplace and public services, defamation campaigns against minority religions or belief groups, the disruption or prohibition of worship even in private homes, censorship of religious literature, and imprisonment of those who object to military service on religious grounds. These restrictions may be a direct result of state legislation and policies, or, in other cases, they may arise as a result of a lack of protective action from state authorities, often in the face of a dominant religious majority. An Advisory Panel of Experts on Freedom of Religion or Belief has been established to serve primarily as an advisory and consultative body that highlights issues or trends that deserve attention and suggests constructive approaches that might be undertaken by the ODIHR to advance religious freedom. The Panel consists of eminent experts from different backgrounds and of various faiths from throughout the OSCE region. Members serve in their personal capacities as experts and do not represent any organization or confession. The ODIHR makes the Panel's expertise available to participating States and to OSCE field missions, and experts from the Panel are ready to give advice and to mediate, upon request. The Panel has undertaken a number of activities and projects, including: Legislative reviews for governments, on request, to help them bring their legislation into line with international standards; Publishing Guidelines for Review of Legislation Pertaining to Religion or Belief, which were drafted by members of the Panel of Experts in association with the Council of Europe's Venice Commission; Development of new legislation intended to foster improved relations among religious groups, including in post-conflict societies; Promoting dialogue between governments and religious groups, as called for in OSCE commitments.

• rosa
    rosa

Look at this goals found in OASCE website: http://194.8.63.155/item/20056.html Freedom of religion or belief Across the OSCE region, many individuals and groups face restrictions on their right to freedom of religion or belief. Problems include discrimination against individuals in the workplace and public services, defamation campaigns against minority religions or belief groups, the disruption or prohibition of worship even in private homes, censorship of religious literature, and imprisonment of those who object to military service on religious grounds. These restrictions may be a direct result of state legislation and policies, or, in other cases, they may arise as a result of a lack of protective action from state authorities, often in the face of a dominant religious majority. An Advisory Panel of Experts on Freedom of Religion or Belief has been established to serve primarily as an advisory and consultative body that highlights issues or trends that deserve attention and suggests constructive approaches that might be undertaken by the ODIHR to advance religious freedom. The Panel consists of eminent experts from different backgrounds and of various faiths from throughout the OSCE region. Members serve in their personal capacities as experts and do not represent any organization or confession. The ODIHR makes the Panel's expertise available to participating States and to OSCE field missions, and experts from the Panel are ready to give advice and to mediate, upon request. The Panel has undertaken a number of activities and projects, including: Legislative reviews for governments, on request, to help them bring their legislation into line with international standards; Publishing Guidelines for Review of Legislation Pertaining to Religion or Belief, which were drafted by members of the Panel of Experts in association with the Council of Europe's Venice Commission; Development of new legislation intended to foster improved relations among religious groups, including in post-conflict societies; Promoting dialogue between governments and religious groups, as called for in OSCE commitments.

• rosa
    rosa

i'm trouble with html text in this computer, so I wish that forum administrator deletes one of my messages above.

• Mary
    Mary

I guess what really angers me about this, is that I (along with everyone else here), endured years of embarassment and humiliation in school by having to stand outside the door while my classmates sang O Canada, followed by the Lord's Prayer and God Save the Queen, because the WTS deemed it "idol worship". Yet they can openly attend something like this? They give new meaning to the word "hypocrites".

Randy, that was a fantastic find of yet another hypocritical stand by the WTS. Thank you so much for posting it here----your research and logic are absolutely priceless.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

I remember a talk at a convention about proper conduct. The brother used the analogy that we shouldn't do or say anything in life that we wouldn't be willing to do on the platform with the entire congregation watching. (I'm not referring to private conversations, marriage, etc.) He also said Jesus would be sitting in the front row. Now, then, would we do this thing? Would we tell that joke? Would we watch that TV show?

I wonder if Jesus was sitting in the front row of these political meetings if they would take part? I wonder if they would print the entire story in the Watchtower? Would they put this thread in the Awake under "Questions from Readers"? Somehow I doubt it.

To repeat what someone else said, "What part of the word "hypocrites" don't you people in Bethel understand"? You almost DF me for insisting that 607 BCE is wrong, yet you approve of politics, blood, children being raped, and dozens of other things? You make changes and don't apologize to those DF'd in the past for having it right in the first place? You make me sick.

• M.J.
    M.J.
    This is discussing religious freedom, standing up for one's organization, exchanging views, it's sort of an extended publishing/door-to-door work.

May I direct your attention back to Narkissos' post I quoted on p. 1. What is the essential difference between standing up for your rights in a democratic sense (by voting, campaigning, being politically involved, etc.) and standing up for them through a lobbying organization?

The American Heritage Dictionary defines a lobby as:

A group of persons engaged in trying to influence legislators or other public officials in favor of a specific cause: the banking lobby; the labor lobby.

This is exactly what the ODIHR is all about. To influence world legislators in favor of a specific cause.

• proplog2
    proplog2

JW's are still essentially neutral. They have every right to plead and defend their case to authorities. They don't take up arms to defend any country and they avoid political divisiveness by not voting in elections.

This IS a sensitive area though and sometimes they have shown bad judgement ie UN NGO membership and Ruthefords Jew baiting with Hitler.

• M.J.
    M.J.

JWs--neutral, yes.

WTS---neutral, no.

• observer
    observer

In Finland representative of JW's has taken part in law-making process. He has been a member of a committee founded by Ministry of Education. The committee has duty to "produce a proposition for new Religious Freedom Act". If that is not meddling into politics -- then what is?

• Mary
    Mary
    proplog2 said: JW's are still essentially neutral. They have every right to plead and defend their case to authorities.

Ya, it's only the rank and file Witness who's not supposed have any "Rights" to practice Freedom of Religion without the threat of persecution hanging over their heads. JWs as a whole might be "neutral", but the leadership certainly seems to have no problem rubbing shoulders with either Babylon the Great or the Wild Beast eh?

They don't take up arms to defend any country and they avoid political divisiveness by not voting in elections.

In other words, they leave all the dirty work to "worldly" people while they sit back and take full advantage of the benefits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit