The number 40 - Is there a connection? Flood, Sinai, Wilderness, Jesus

by truthseeker 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I was just thinking today, that the number 40 also seems to hold significance in the Bible. I did some research and found this site.

Maybe Leolaia, Narkissos or others can help here and explain if there was any symbolic value that the number 40 held. Is it to be taken literally in all circumstances?

http://www.40day.com/40_in_the_bible.html

Instances in the Bible where God made major changes and transformations after the period of 40

It rained for 40 days and 40 nights when God wanted to cleanse the world and start over. (Gen 7:12 KJV) And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

Noah waited another 40 days after it rained before he opened a window in the Ark. (Gen 8:6 KJV) And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made.

E mbalming required 40 days (although this was an Egyptian custom, the Egyptians recognized the period of 40 for the preparation of going into a new life, what they called the afterlife) (Gen 50:3 KJV) And forty days were fulfilled for him; for so are fulfilled the days of those which are embalmed: and the Egyptians mourned for him threescore and ten days.

Moses was on the mountain with God for 40 days (TWICE) (Exo 24:18 KJV) And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.

(Exo 34:28-29 KJV) And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

(Deu 10:10 NIV) Now I had stayed on the mountain forty days and nights, as I did the first time, and the LORD listened to me at this time also. It was not his will to destroy you.

Moses' face shone after the 40 days on the mountain. (Exo 34:29 KJV) And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses' hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him.

It took the spies 40 days to search out the promised land and bring back fruit (Num 13:25 KJV) And they returned from searching of the land after forty days.

The Israelites spent 40 years in the wilderness, one year for each day they explored the Promised Land. (Exo 16:35 KJV) And the children of Israel did eat manna forty years, until they came to a land inhabited; they did eat manna, until they came unto the borders of the land of Canaan.

(Num 14:33-34 NIV) Your children will be shepherds here for forty years, suffering for your unfaithfulness, until the last of your bodies lies in the desert. {34} For forty years--one year for each of the forty days you explored the land-you will suffer for your sins and know what it is like to have me against you.

Goliath came for forty days before being killed by David (1 Sam 17:16 NLT) For forty days, twice a day, morning and evening, the Philistine giant strutted in front of the Israelite army.

Elijah strengthened by one angelic meal went forty days to Mount Horeb where the Lord passed by and he heard the voice of God (1 Ki 19:8 KJV) And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God.

Jonah warned the City of Nineveh they had 40 days until God would overthrow the city. The people repented in those 40 days and God spared the city. (Jonah 3:4 and 10 KJV) And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.

And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

Jesus fasted for 40 days in the wilderness (Mat 3:17 KJV) And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

(Mat 4:1-2 KJV) Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. {2} And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungered.

Jesus was seen in the earth 40 days after His crucifixion (Acts 1:3 NIV) After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God.

The point I find interesting is Moses going up to Mt. Sinai for 40 days and nights. Moses was an elderly man, in his 80s. Could he really have climbed that mountain? And, even if Jehovah helped him climb the mountain, why did it take so long to write the stone tablets if God himself wrote them?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The temptation of Jesus story is a retelling of the experience of the Israelites in the wilderness:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/69783/1.ashx

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hey Leolaia, thanks for that! Interesting read.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I've encountered anumber of suggestions that many of the recurring numbers had astrological and solar significance. 3 days recurring as it was the time associated with the deathof the sun (lack of visible movement) at solstice. 12's easily associated with the zodiacal cycles etc. 7 was the number of visible planets/gods in the sky. 40 likely figured in in some such way. Note that 40 and 70 are presented as Egyptian tradition in Gen. 50

2 Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father. So the physicians (A) embalmed Israel.

3 Now forty days were required for it, for such is the period required for embalming. And the Egyptians (B) wept for him seventy days.

4 When the days of mourning for him were past........

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Every language has its pet numbers (for instance, there are many French expressions using 36, and nothing else, as the indefinite large number, equivalent to "many"). It is very easy to list the pet numbers of Biblical Hebrew, but ascribing a definite symbolical meaning to each one of them (which is still completely different from their etio/etymology, i.e why those numbers in those cases) as the WT does is most often artificial. The figurative meaning of numbers can vary according to expressions and periods. In the case of the Sinai-Wilderness / Temptation parallels, 40 is just one of many verbal clues to literary dependency.

• Poztate
    Poztate

I first posted the following last year.It is amazing the facination they show for the number 40.

The other night I watched as my wife did her usual pre-study for the study. I became increasingly puzzled as a flurry of activity ensued. The Revelation book was hauled out along with the Insight books and a few WT volumes. A calculator was produced and used extensively. I saw a number of notes being made on a piece of paper. Thinking that maybe this wasn't a real study but maybe a calculation of how much alimony she could get if she dumped me for a good upstanding JW elder I took a peek when she was out of the room and found this...........

Forty

Flood 40 days 40 nights

Isaac 40 years old when married Rebekah

Esau 40 years old when married Judith

Israelites wandered 40 years

Moses in mountain 40 days and nights

Spied out the promised land 40 days

Joshua 40 years old when he spied out the land

Othniel judge of Israel – peace on the land for 40 years

Israel given into the hands of the Philistines 40 years

Goliath took his position before Israel for 40 days

David reigned for 40 years

Solomon reigned for 40 years

Elijah sustained for 40 days 40 nights

Jehoash reigned 40 years

Ezekiah carried error of Judah 40 days and nights (day for a year)

Land of Egypt desolated 40 years

Jonah preached that Ninevah would be overthrown in 40 days

Jesus fasted 40 days and nights in wilderness

Jesus seen for 40 days after resurrection

Moses in Midian for 40 years (before thornbush)

Saul ruled for 40 years

Jehovah gave man 120 years to flood from warning ( 3 x 40)

2,520 years (63 x 40)

1914 & 40 & 40 & 20 (3 ½ times) = 2014

1975 & 40 – 2015

In spite of the obvious error on line 24 my wife in her frantic scribblings had also come up with a date of 2014/2015 for the start of Armageddon (october no less)

OMG.....WTF.

Please all you good little POZTATE™ boys and girls get out your calculators and confirm this NEW LIGHT that has come out. It might not be too late for us to sneak back into the Borg before the end comes. LOL

THE REALITY...When main stream rank and file dubs like my wife (a lifer) are looking into garbage like this it shows something lacking with the "spiritual food" being provided by the FDS and GB.

They are not happy with the resurrection hope and the idea of "no regrets" brought out at the last DA. They need a GOOD APOCALYPSE and they need it NOW.

They are beginning to slow down on the hamster wheel of life that they are on and are not a happy bunch. I am sure it will continue to go downhill from here.

Anybody know where Forty started from...A good JW site no doubt.

POZ.

• sinis
    sinis

Thats scary! I wonder who else in DUB land are trying to calculate the end in 2014! I'm sure this idea is not a Revelation from your wife but more than likely someone in the cong telling others about this and she trying to come to the same conclusion. Scary indeed. Whats wrong with being happy in life? Ah, but you are right about the hamster wheel slowing and these poor people hoping for the worse to see the best, at least in there feable mind.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It shows that bible writers didn't actually care about acuracy, but rather, form.

S

• Flash
    Flash

Forty

Flood 40 days 40 nights

Isaac 40 years old when married Rebekah

Esau 40 years old when married Judith

Israelites wandered 40 years

Moses in mountain 40 days and nights

Spied out the promised land 40 days

Joshua 40 years old when he spied out the land

Othniel judge of Israel – peace on the land for 40 years

Israel given into the hands of the Philistines 40 years

Goliath took his position before Israel for 40 days

David reigned for 40 years

Solomon reigned for 40 years

Elijah sustained for 40 days 40 nights

Jehoash reigned 40 years

Ezekiah carried error of Judah 40 days and nights (day for a year)

Land of Egypt desolated 40 years

Jonah preached that Ninevah would be overthrown in 40 days

Jesus fasted 40 days and nights in wilderness

Jesus seen for 40 days after resurrection

Moses in Midian for 40 years (before thornbush)

Saul ruled for 40 years

Jehovah gave man 120 years to flood from warning ( 3 x 40)

2,520 years (63 x 40)

1914 & 40 & 40 & 20 (3 ½ times) = 2014

1975 & 40 – 2015

As far as I know, the meaning of 40 is still unknown. I definately am interested in knowing its meaning too. As a 'side point' I believe Armageddon will also last for 40 days and 40 nights.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i googled " significance of the number 40" and came up with a bunch of sites..here is one that was interesting.(i dont agree/disagree with the site..just thought the list was interesting enough to post here)

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/40.html

Of all the types and shadows of the Old Testament, none is as pervasive and important as the shadows revealed in the relationship between "forty," and the fulfillment of promises.

• The rains (in Noah's day) fell for 40 days and nights (Genesis 7:4).
    • Israel ate Manna for 40 years (Exodus 16:35).
    • Moses was with God in the mount, 40 days and nights (Exodus 24:18).
    • Moses was again with God 40 days and 40 nights (Exodus 34:28).
    • Moses led Israel from Egypt at age 80 (2 times 40), and after 40 years in the wilderness, died at 120 (3 times 40; Deuteronomy 34:7).
    • The spies searched the land of Canaan for 40 days (Numbers 13:25).
    • Therefore, God made Israel wander for 40 years (Numbers 14:33-34).
    • 40 stripes was the maximum whipping penalty (Deuteronomy 25:3).
    • God allowed the land to rest for 40 years (Judges 3:11).
    • God again allowed the land to rest for 40 years (Judges 5:31).
    • God again allowed the land to rest for 40 years (Judges 8:28).
    • Abdon (a judge in Israel) had 40 sons (Judges 12:14).
    • Israel did evil; God gave them to an enemy for 40 years (Judges 13:1).
    • Eli judged Israel for 40 years (1 Samuel 4:18).
    • Goliath presented himself to Israel for 40 days (1 Samuel 17:16).
    • Saul reigned for 40 years (Acts 13:21).
    • Ishbosheth (Saul's son) was 40 when he began reign (2 Samuel 2:10).
    • David reigned over Israel for 40 years (2 Samuel 5:4, 1 Kings 2:11).
    • The holy place of the temple was 40 cubits long (1 Kings 6:17).
    • 40 baths (measurement) was size of lavers in Temple (1 Kings 7:38).
    • The sockets of silver are in groups of 40 (Exodus 26:19 & 21).
    • Solomon reigned same length as his father; 40 years (1 Kings 11:42).
    • Elijah had one meal that gave him strength 40 days (1 Kings 19:8).
    • Ezekiel bore the iniquity of the house of Judah for 40 days (Ezekiel 4:6).
    • Jehoash (Joash) reigned 40 years in Jerusalem (2 Kings 12:1).
    • Egypt to be laid desolate for 40 years (Ezekiel 29:11-12).
    • Ezekiel's (symbolic) temple is 40 cubits long (Ezekiel 41:2).
    • The courts in Ezekiel's temple were 40 cubits long (Ezra 46:22).
    • God gave Nineveh 40 days to repent (Jonah 3:4).
    • Jesus fasted 40 days and nights (Matthew 4:2).
    • Jesus was tempted 40 days (Luke 4:2, Mark 1:13).
    • Jesus remained on earth 40 days after resurrection (Acts 1:3).
    • Women are pregnant for 40 weeks (time of testing).

The number forty is used by God to represent a period of testing or judgment (the length of time necessary to accomplish some major part of Gods plan in his dealings with various portions of mankind). The 40 days of rain in the days of the flood were the judgments of God. The 40 day periods of fasting, testing, and communing with God that were faced by Moses and Jesus were a form of God's judgments. The forty years that the Israelites spent in the wilderness were also the judgments of God. Various leaders in Israel who reigned for 40 year periods were put there BY God according to His Will and Judgments. Egypt was left desolate for 40 years because of God's judgments. I could go on and on, but I think these examples should suffice for now. .............................

We can easily see from Numbers 32:13 and Hebrews 3:8-10 that God calls 40 years a generation. Matthew 1:17: from captivity in Babylon (586 BC) until Christ is 14 generations. 586 BC to Christ' birth is 586 years, divided by 14 is 41 years. ....................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit