Golden Age Goodies

by Leolaia 279 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

GAG #2: $$$preading the Good News & Rutherford's Ego

This cartoon appeared in the following article (text follows):

*** g35 10/23 p. 50 Sound Car Witnessings Near Washington ***

Woman reading booklet: "Judge Rutherford explains these things so CLEARLY---".

Black woman holding up one of Rutherford's books: "What would you say to a po' gal dat loves de Lawd and only has 22 cents".

Two men reading Watchtower books over a game of chess: "Gee whiz, Bill -- all these books for a contribution of 35 cents -- you got a dime -- I have a quarter --".

Woman: "We have four of Judge Rutherford's books and think they are wonderful -- Wait, I'll call father --".

Retired Captain, U.S.N. and a Catholic: "--Anyone can see that what you call Armageddon is just ahead -- the world is too wicked--".

Another man: "I'll contribute to this work because I know it's a good work -- Give the books to someone who will read them".

Man reading one of Rutherford's books: "Why, this is Judge Rutherford! I've been listening to him over the radio for YEARS!"

Man at the door: "I've been waiting for one of Jehovah's Witnesses to call for weeks--".

O'Dean (& he's an elder in a church, too): "Judge Rutherford couldn't write these things unless he were used of God."

Woman accepting a book: "--WAIT a minute till I get some change--" (No trouble at all Madam).

Older woman signing a petition: "I'm a Roman Catholic, but I'll sign this petition for Judge Rutherford -- but I won't sign it for Father Coughlin".

Boy with catcher's mitt speaking to his mother: "--I want one of those books, Mom--".

• chasson
    chasson

I will add slowly 5 different scans of Golden Age i have on my site, please wait, i am in the half of the first one.

The November 4, 1936.

Bye

Charles

• undercover
    undercover
    Black woman holding up one of Rutherford's books: "What would you say to a po' gal dat loves de Lawd and only has 22 cents".

This is for real??? That picture wasn't doctored???

Geez...that's just plain racist, I don't care what era it's from.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

This is for real??? That picture wasn't doctored???

Geez...that's just plain racist, I don't care what era it's from.

Yeah that's just crazy.

The article about going bald because of getting your hair "bobbed" seemed almost to be a parody.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What is also striking about the African-American woman is that the cartoon alludes to the widow's mite story from the gospels (cf. Mark 12:41-44). The implication is that 22 cents is all this very poor woman has (equivalent to $3.10 in today's dollars, adjusted for inflation), and she is willing to give it up in order to own one of Judge Rutherford's books. That was enough money in those days to buy a ham sandwich. But Rutherford's life-giving publications are worth more.

For me, this cartoon suggests better than anything else in the picture (1) Rutherford's ego and (2) the focus on $$$. Elsewhere, we find other (more fortunate) ppl discussing what a steal it is to buy Rutherford's books for $$$ (or "wait until I get some $$$"), and other ego-inflating statements, such as "Judge Rutherford could not write these things unless he were used of God"....

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Yes it seems he had quite the ego.

As I was browsing through the info Rebel8 posted, I was wishing I had the entire articles to read. Just look at some of these headlines..

Aspirin causes heart diseases.

We have the cure for skin cancer (1908).

Radio wave vibrations can diagnose and treat all types of illness.

X-Rays will harm your future grandchildren

Ultraviolet rays are good for you.

Pacifiers cause infection; removal of tonsils is never necessary

There is no such thing as germs and rabies.

Appendicitis is caused by worms and is cured by eating peppermint.

All diseases are intestinal.

The cure for liver disease is drinking olive oil.

Kerosene heals cuts.

Chewing gum decreases saliva

Psychiatry is unnecessary and leads to sin; psychologists are stupid monkeys.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Oops I forgot to add MY personal favorite...

The size and shape of a person’s head and nose affects his intelligence and personality

• hubert
    hubert

Golden Age, July 1, 1927....

Every bedroom [should receive] at least two hours of sunlight everyday. [This will] kill tuberculosis and other germs.

Hubert

• under_believer
    under_believer
    The size and shape of a person’s head and nose affects his intelligence and personality

That one was one of the teachings of Naziism... was used by Germans to justify calling Jews a mongrel race...

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Looking forward to your postings.

I have several volumes from the late 30's and from the 40's. I also find them fascinating reading.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit