Golden Age Goodies

by Leolaia 279 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

RECENTLYI had the pleasure to examine a stash of 1920s and 1930s Golden Age magazines, among the rarest of Watchtower publications. I thought it would be a fun idea to have a thread in which I share with you some of the amazing, ridiculous, hilarious things contained therein. Hence, this is the first post of a series of excerpts, scans, etc. entitled "Golden Age Goodies".

My hope is that y'all will take this "spiritual food" under due consideration, and then tear it apart with your incisive criticism and wit. Let the games begin!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

GAG #1: HAIRCUTS DESTROY HAIR

Let me kick off the series with this awesome news item:

*** g24 11/19 p. 100 A Glimpse at the World News ***

[T]he bobbed hair craze is sure to lead to baldness, sooner or later. The reason for this is that human hair is like a tube sealed at the free end. When the hair is cut, the oils which are the life of the hair become dissipated. The reason why men grow bald so quickly is that they have their hair cut so frequently and, in addition, wear tightly fitting hats, which cut off the circulation of the scalp. The reason why women, hitherto, have had such beautiful hair is that they have not cut it; and the twisting and folding of the hair has helped to retain the natural oil. Many women have turned against the fashion of bobbing the hair, and are letting their hair grow again.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Damn it! And I just got my hair bobbed too! Oh well, time to grow out my crowning glory, oh weaker vessel that I am.
    tall penguin

• damselfly
    damselfly

LMAO!!

I lack incisive critism and wit but this is just too funny!!
    I wonder if these outdated ideas stick around in the oldtimers minds and trickle down to the incoming newbies and future generations? There was always the critism in my old hall whenever someone would get a shorter haircut and claims would be made that it was less feminine. Maybe a watered down version of this article?

Dams

• TD
    TD

Too funny! -- The Golden Age really was the poster child for the wackier side of naturopathy.

RECENTLY I had the pleasure to examine a stash of 1920s and 1930s Golden Age magazines

That was probably interesting....Is there a story behind this find?

• hubert
    hubert

Leolaia, you are gonna have fun with this !!! I got the "Thus sayeth Jehovah Witnesses", material and it's got some of this stuff in it, plus I picked up some of this literature somewhere else, (I dunno where)???

I've read lots of this before, but when you get the actual scans of it, you then realize this is not a science fiction movie. Russel actually believed all this bull sh't !!!

But I can't wait to hear more of this crap that the Watchtower adhered to, even though it was years ago. And, it wasn't really that long ago, if you take into effect that the W.T.S. has only been in business for 150+ years, compared to the Bible of 2,000+ years.

So, bring it on !!!!!!!! I'm ready !

Hubert

• greendawn
    greendawn

That is old light Leolaia so there is no need to recall it, the new light from god came in its due season and tells us that it's the hormone balance that causes hair to fall.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Some more really funny stuff mainly from Golden Age:

Brochure: Bizarre Medical Myths--Believe it or not!

Brochure: Do Origins Matter?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

hubert...Yeah, there's a ton of pearls and gems in these old issues. I'm ready to dish some of them out!

The quote from GAG #1 was from a kinda early form of "Watching the World":

The GA editor was an avid reader of quack medical magazines.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

TD....Not really, I just knew where to look. Some pages I was able to photocopy, others I was able to take digital photos of. Hope to be getting more through eBay in the near future...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit