Circumcision and Jehovah's Witnesses - a personal account with research

by PrimateDave 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Given the trouble they cause, maybe the whole damn thing should be cut off after a guy has his family.

• under_believer
    under_believer

I can't believe anybody would argue for the cutting off of part of someone else's penis. It completely boggles my mind. I mean, if I cut off both of my arms, I'll never have to deal with broken arms, either...

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I work for a medical malpractice firm and of late there are tons of young adult men coming forward claiming that they have smaller pieces because of circumcision or that they cannot function sexually because of circumcision. Based on what I read, there is little likelihood that a man would suffer excessive problems based on an appropriate medical circumcision procedure. To date, our firm has rejected every circumcision case that has come in for review as the medical community does not support their allegations.

BTW - Thanks Kid-A. I made a note of the cites you reference for further review, should the legal/medical issue have to be addressed in the future.

• mP
    mP

why didnt god makemmennuncircumsized to begin with. and why is he so infatuated with pensises. scan your bible amd you will fins lots of penis worries from jehovah.

- the story of moses uncircumsized son who nearly got killed by god, until he was quickly dixed. hasnt god got bigger things to worry about.

- look at the 613 mitzvot'or laws, there are lots of weird ones, like a women getting her hand cut off if she helps'her husband in afight and touches the other mans thing.

- the story where abraham has his man servant make a testament before going to get a wife from back home for isaac, by touching hismdick. thats right the test in testament is from testicle. thanks tomthe abraham story you know why or how testaments where done back then, the peoper way. shaking hands ismpagan.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Medical malprqcice firms are concerned with their greatest intake of money, not with justice. If liability is clear, lawyers will not take the case without a pretty clear, large benefit to them. The medical science seems to be in a state of flux. So many disease theories swing back and forth on a pendulum. Which foods are truly good for humans? As I listen to NPR, it seems to change weekly. When the pendulum swings to juries being prone to believe circumcision is bad, lawyers will line up for these casess. Lawyer typically charge about 1/3 of a potential award as a contingency fee. Their costs are huge so the reward must be worth it.

You can hire a medical expert to say what you want to hear.

I am confused. Both posts describing the medical issues were excellent. My interest is why circumcision started in ancient civilizations. They had no medical statistics. I wonder if it was some sacrifice of male potency.

• finally awake
    finally awake

We didn't circ our boys. I figure they can get cut when they are grown if it suits them. Not my penis = not my decision.

• juandefiero
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Divergence on this issue is interesting.

As I understand it, circumcision is not a standard practise in most European countries.

It is now, not a standard practise in Australia.

Why is there such a strong support for it in the USA? Is it a consequence resulting from the strength of the American Jewish lobby?

Here's a few comments concerning circumcision from an Australian source:

Link to the page: http://www.circinfo.org/news_2015.html#worth

Circumcision “not worth it” for Aussie boys

Circumcision is not appropriate for 21st Century Aussie boys. A definitive article in Australia’s leading child health journal confirms the judgement of Australian paediatricians since 1971 that boys should not be routinely circumcised as a health precaution. In a rebuff to the American Academy of Pediatrics (and by extension the Centers for Disease Control, which repeats its errors) the article endorses the conclusion of the circumcision policy statement issued by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in 2010, namely, that there is no medical warrant for routine circumcision in the Australian and New Zealand context. As the authors conclude, “There is insufficient scientific evidence to support routine newborn circumcision in Australia …. From medical point of view, the ‘price’ is still too high.”

Further details on the medical authorities statements page

--------------------

Circumcision risks and harms outweigh benefits

Yet another hard-hitting critique of the American Centers for Disease Control draft circumcision guidelines finds its conclusions unsupported by the evidence and its recommendations invalid: Brian Earp. Do the benefits of male circumcision outweigh the risks? A critique of the proposed CDC guidelines. Fronters in Pediatrics 3 (18), 21 February 2015

--------------------

Circumcision always painful for babies

Circumcision is “one of the most painful procedures a baby can undergo”, and no fully effective anaesthetic method has yet been devised. This is the disturbing conclusion of a paper in the Italian Journal of Pediatrics, which examines the various circumcision and anaesthetic techniques in use and finds none of them satisfactory. The authors note that although “relief of human suffering is one of the most important goals for health care providers”, there have been only half-hearted efforts to eliminate the pain of circumcision, partly because the operation originated as a cultural ritual in which endurance of intense pain was part of the rationale. “Unfortunately, even during clinical trials, babies still undergo circumcision without analgesia, and the continuous production of studies for a better analgesia is the sign that a gold standard has not yet been found”, they write. The authors found that the Mogen clamp was less painful than both the Gomco clamp and the Plastibell, though seem to be unaware that the Mogen caused such a high incidence of additional injuries that a series of lawsuits drove the company out of business. It is increasingly common these days for boys to be given a local anaesthetic with a needle, but if the evidence of many Youtube videos is to be believed, the needle is itself extremely painful and often causes bleeding. EMLA cream, much vaunted by Australian circumcision salesmen, is neither effective nor recommended for use on young babies. As the authors of the present study conclude, “more research is required to find a better analgesic approach, in order to make circumcision a totally painless procedure without stress or discomfort. Present methods do not yet guarantee a total analgesia during this procedure.”

Source: Bellieni CV et al. Analgesia for infants’ circumcision. Italian Journal of Pediatrics 2013 39:38.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    As a practicing jw I did not circumcise my boys because from what I read in the Bible it would be like me saying I'd rather live by the law then under Jesus sacrifice. Can't remember the Scriptures. As a non practicing jw I stand by my choice because it's their body and they can choose for themselves what they want to do. Also I have read where the uncircumcised can have a better feeling during sex once they learn to get past the feeling to launch early.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit