SUMMER DISTRICT CONVENTION THREAD

by DannyHaszard 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Related from last year

SILENT LAMBS in AUSTRALIA -- http://sunday.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/cover_stories/article_1789.asp -------- Silent lambs Ninemsn, Australia - ... the Catholics and Anglicans have been forced to respond to child abuse in their ranks, convicted paedophiles are still ACCEPTED in the Jehovah's Witnesses.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

....According to Statistics Canada, there are 155,000 Jehovah's Witnesses in Canada, down 8.1 per cent from a decade earlier. There are some 6.6 million in the world. Witnesses find joy in baptismal pool
    Hamilton Spectator, Canada - 4 hours ago
    One of 100 people to be baptized in a portable swimming pool at the 2006 District Convention of the Jehovah's Witnesses at Copps Coliseum on the weekend, a ... Dean Raddick took the plunge Saturday and has never felt better. One of 100 people to be baptized in a portable swimming pool at the 2006 District Convention of the Jehovah's Witnesses at Copps Coliseum on the weekend, a grinning, dripping, shivering Raddick sprinted for the change room a new man. "I'm really happy I did it now," said the apprentice machinist from Dunnville as he emerged from the pool. "I grew up a Jehovah's Witness and I figured, at 23, I may as well get baptized. "I'm going to do the best I can for Jehovah." Across the way, Eva Ampofo stood grinning and clutching a camera. She'd just elbowed her way into the crowd surrounding the pool to snap a picture of a friend emerging from the pool. "This is a good occasion," said Ampofo, of Brampton. "They've dedicated their lives and, from here on, they're basically making the truth their own." The midday baptism ritual is the emotional highlight of the annual gathering that draws 10,000 to 15,000 believers to Steeltown. Attendance peaked at 12,500 yesterday for a midday full-costume Biblical drama, said convention overseer Robert Alton. The well-heeled faithful came from across the Golden Horseshoe, the men wearing suits and ties, the women in dresses and skirts. Well-scrubbed youngsters sported frilly dresses and pint-size suits. Jehovah's Witnesses subscribe to biblical literalism and believe in the imminent coming of the kingdom of God following the battle of Armageddon, a term from the book of Revelation describing the final battle between good and evil. They do not celebrate their own birthdays, considering such celebrations a glorification of the individual rather than of Jehovah, or God. They call themselves witnesses in reference to biblical passages, such as Isaiah 43:10: "You are my witnesses," declares the Lord, "and my servant whom I have chosen ..." They are forbidden from using images during worship and from any involvement with spiritism. They do not have a particular Sabbath as they regard all days as holy. Instead, they attend five meetings per week, ranging from a lecture to sessions studying church documents. According to Statistics Canada, there are 155,000 Jehovah's Witnesses in Canada, down 8.1 per cent from a decade earlier. There are some 6.6 million in the world. Sharon BoaseCity/Urban
    FaithandEthicsReporter
    Telephone: 905-526-2452
    E-mail.: [email protected] Letters to the Opinion and Forum Editors
    Fax: 905-526-3558
    Mail: 44 Frid Street, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 3G3
    Email: [email protected] Barb BrownCity/Urban
    SeniorJusticeReporter
    Telephone: 905-526-3494
    E-mail.: [email protected] ----------------------------------------- Related article same newspaper on WTS plans for future conventions with same city Jehovah's Witnesses OK Copps, but future contract uncertain
    Hamilton Spectator, Canada - 4 hours ago
    The condition of Copps Coliseum has reportedly improved, but the Jehovah's Witnesses, longtime convention regulars at the downtown facility, are mum on their ...

• DannyHaszard
  • blondie
    blondie
    District conventions in this area previously had been held at the Pontiac Silverdome, but a smaller venue was chosen this year for more personal contact, according to Daniel Ferriss, spokesman and a Jehovah's Witnesses minister in Grayling.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1153576215190830.xml&coll=5

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit