My experience w/ the JW secretary at my office

by looking_glass 54 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Blondie - I made the mistake of taking her aside once and trying to be friendly with her so I could say "speak for yourself". However, she took it that I wanted to talk about the "truth". When I explained to her that I never want to discuss religion with anyone which included her, she seemed confused.

I do believe you are correct about two things: she was strange before she became a jw and the jw-isms have made her stranger; and she has NO friends.

But people here don't like her to the extent that they do want to set her up to get her fired. So they keep saying they are going to decorate for my birthday and bring in a cake and light candles, because they want to see if this pushes her over the edge.

But in turn it makes me unconfortable for so many reasons. One, I don't want to try to make her life any more difficult then it already is. Two, I don't like being the center of attention and now this has put me smack dab in the middle of all kinds of crap. Three, people don't need to know my business and our office is the worst when it comes to gossip. I like to live under the radar. If I have to step up to the plate, I will, but otherwise, I like to move quietly about my world.

I know my friends will respect my wishes about keeping the birthday on the down low, it is just the others who don't know me and will want to do something to get her in trouble.

See that is what jws don't think about, they sometimes cause their own problems. It is just easier for them to blame the devil and thus, be guilt free over their own stupid actions.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Holy...I can't believe she confronted you that way in front of a client! Blondie's right, there's a couple like that in every congregation. Like there was a sister in one cong I attended who, if people wouldn't answer the door, and she saw them inside, she would look in at them from a window and knock on the window, LOL! A different sis stood up in front of a group of students and faculty at a community college where she was studying sign language and held up a Knowledge book and started reading the book to them in sign language. Embarrassing!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Holy...I can't believe she confronted you that way in front of a client!

Perhaps you need to use something that she can understand. Drill it into her that she is on Caesar's time, and during that time she is to be doing Caesar's work. If she wants to do Jehovah's work during work time, then she should go full time pioneering and see if the Borg will cough up a living wage for her!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass
    Drill it into her that she is on Caesar's time, and during that time she is to be doing Caesar's work.

Yeh, that was what I tried doing at one time, but she thought it meant I wanted to talk about "the truth" and when I clarified it did mean that, she was confused.

This is me throwing up my hands. We will see what next week brings. Should be fun (in a beating your head against the wall kind of way)

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    But people here don't like her to the extent that they do want to set her up to get her fired. So they keep saying they are going to decorate for my birthday and bring in a cake and light candles, because they want to see if this pushes her over the edge.

ROFL....... ---->>>>>

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

One of my biggest fears is that I'll hire a JW and not know it until it's too late. Not that I'm scared of them, I just don't want to deal with their crap.

Of course, in the US, you can't outright ask anyone their religion in an interview. But, if someone volunteers that information, then that is just fine. I usually will ask a question about availability at night or on Sunday, which is perfectly legal. The one JW that I interviewed went into a whole tangent about having five "religious meetings" every week and other than Monday or Thursday night he was totally available.

I kinda felt bad about it, but then again, I sure don't want to deal with any JWs in my workplace.
    LG, you have my sympathy... Here's hoping that you won't have to deal with it much longer.

CountryGuy

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Just take her aside and whisper "I'm an apostate"

• Mary
    Mary
    ....recently I had a job opening in my group. The supervisor came to me and was going over the resumes of the applicants and the JW receptionist had submitted her resume for the position. I said, sorry...no interview...her attitude and demeanor are a major problem and I don't want anyone like that working in my group.

You realize of course that you're working directly for Satan de Debbil who has possessed you and is now persecuting this poor girl.....

She sounds likes she's got some sort of mental illness----she's even more fanatical that your average garden variety Dub.....maybe you should suggest that she get her meds switched.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Lookingglass, wow, what a story. I feel that several of you are right when you said that she is a sad case, She is to be pitied. Of course Groucho Marx you are right when you said pay Ceaser things to Ceasar and God's things to God. A talk with her might smarten her up when she realizes she is overstepping her postion in the firm.

She sadly reminds me so much of my ex husband who is also the same way. No matter where you are or who your talking to he interupts you and starts talking about being a JW. One time we were audtioning for a commercial for Walmart, I told him ahead of time not to bring up to the people audtioning us the issue of being a JW. Well does he listen. No WAy, he not only mentioned it to them but when we started to do the advertisment he said he and his wife are very happy and that we are JW. I just about punched him.. I was so embarrassed.

Also at work he would have his Bible on display and the magizines and he would study and he would talk to everyone going in and out of the hospital that he was a JW...(He was a Security Guard}, anyway he even preached to other employees in the hospital and he never shut up. People who knew he was my husband would ask me if he was alright in the head and was he that way with everyone. He would bring more shame on being a JW, because he acted like a fanatic and still does to this day. It is really ashame because people like my ex and that secretary are really the losers. They have no real friends in or out of the congregation. We were never asked out to peoples homes in the cong. and I knew why, it was because of the way he acted. I don't think he will ever change nor do I think that that sister in your office will. They seem to thrive on bringing attention to themselves. How I ever managed to last 27 years with him is beyond me.. my son is living with his dad and he tells me, mom, dad will never change.

thanks for sharing your story I enjoyed it and the other posters too I enjoyed your comments . No I am not acting like a JW. I am j

ust appreciative...

love Ofc..

• spawn2u
    spawn2u

Woah! I could see one of my dim witted sister (male dominated sisters) or a family friend (county clerk) doing that. I am not a JW for many years past. It is tough with the laws these days but if you saw it coming couldn't you just right up a person for communication issues like three times and then fire them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit