My experience w/ the JW secretary at my office

by looking_glass 54 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

No, No, I feel worse. I wonder if that is her spin on it. I am tell'n ya .... I AM IN HELL.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I'm sorry :-(

Seriously, if you have already gone to human resources and they thought it wasn't a problem, then you have got to document everything she says to you that makes you feel uncomfortable. Even better if you have witnesses around that see and hear it first hand. This way if her goal is to cause trouble for you, you have everything you need already.

Good Luck!

Dams

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Dams - Ohhh, don't you worry your pretty little head. I have a friend who is a labor atty to ask him what I should do should this lunatic cause problems. I am covered there. But really, I feel like a lunatic myself when I try to explain to non-JWs my fears. It is nice to know that I can go somewhere and cry about it without having people look at me the way the labor law atty did. I have to admit, if someone came to me with a similar claim, I would say they were paranoid.

• damselfly
    damselfly

..........and you DO have the upper hand don't you? Being her boss? Just be firm that you will not tolerate being preached at or talked about.

Dams

• Quandry
    Quandry

I have just finished reading your biography. I cannot imagine that after all the things you have accomplished in your young life, many of them obviously simultaneously, you would have any trouble at all dealing with your co-worker!!!! I'm sure something will come to you!!!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Well quandry, it is a quandary, isn't it. I guess I should have spent time dealing with the insane JWs rather then treading water for three days straight for no reason.

Actually, she is one of the few JW people that can get to me. For the most part I ignore JWs. But this one manages to push all my buttons. Right now the firm is going thru some problems with a sexual harassment and a hostile work environment claim by a prior employee, my fear is that they will give her more latitude then they would normally give someone.

• Scully
    Scully
    I feel like a lunatic myself when I try to explain to non-JWs my fears.

I wonder if you could use the old "there's just too much history" excuse to justify her being reassigned. For all your supervisors know, her JW fanaticism is causing you to have post traumatic stress issues. Is there any way you can access an Employee Assistance Program where you can discuss this stuff with a counsellor? They might be able to help you formulate an approach with your supervisors that makes everyone happy.

BTW, since when do secretaries get to choose who they work under? I always thought it was the other way around....

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Scully, I wish I could say "post traumatic stress" or "agent orange" as a cause for a new secretary.

As for the secretary thing it is a little different when you lose the secretary and you have a temp. My permanent secretary will be someone I interview and pick, but the temp is someone that is assigned to you. It is very strange that when she found out my secretary left and I needed a temp that she volunteered to be my fill-in. Thankfully it is only temporary. The question becomes how long will I have her as my temp, because one day is one day too many for me.

• LDH
    LDH
    The worst part about it is that she does push my buttons and I when that happens I wonder if there is still underlying issues associated with being raised a jw and leaving. I never want to have anyone have that much control over my emotions that they make me angry. There is a saying, behind anger is fear, so it leads me to wonder what I fearful of.

LG

The best defense is a good offense. Start tomorrow by telling her, "If you bring up Jehovah's Witnesses or the subject of religion in general, I will file a FORMAL WRITTEN COMPLAINT with the HR department and start the formal process of getting you fired." Then turn and walk away. As she is your direct report, communicate with her via email so that your directions to her with regards to work have been documented. This way she can't sabotage you by saying, "LG said to do blah blah blah."

You are mad because you are not being proactive, you are being reactive. That is never a good feeling.

Lisa

Bitch Class

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

LDH - the labor law atty gave me some steps to take. Should she bring up religion, I am to remind her of her prior HR meeting regarding the subject and tell her she is violating the restrictions placed upon her during that meeting (his guess is that they placed restrictions on her). This way she cannot go back to HR and say anything negative about me, because I am not doing or saying anything that will be deemed as harassing. I cannot bring up religion. I was informed to LEAVE RELIGION OUT OF IT COMPLETELY. The only thing I can say is that she is hindering my ability to do my job because of her failure to do her work in a timely fashion.

However, on a side note, this chick has managed to alienate herself from everyone and people don't like her. Rumor has it, she was caught checking out the want ads (hopefully for herself). Keep your fingers crossed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit