UNITED NATIONS , NGO's and WTBS

by MacHislopp 501 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Bible examiner,

Sorry to get your hopes up. I am going through all ofthe ECOSOC resolutions and unfortunately I got the wrong NGO group. I am sorry to the board but I am still seaching.

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Sorry about the last post folks. I keep getting mixed up on the different NGOs at the UN.

However, I have found the Guideline for "Association between the NGOs and the UN".

To get go to http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/ngo/

Then click on the "Download documents" and then click on a .pdf file called "Guidelines for Association between the UN and NGOs.

or try this link:

( http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/ngo/pdf/guidelines.pdf

About half way through it talks about NGO's associated with DPI. interesting read

hawk

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Hawkaw:

I had previously browsed most of the DESA Section webpages, but I wanted to take another look before pointing out that the WTS is not also a NGO in DESA. I see you have deleted the inquiry.

However, the NGO application time period for DESA "may" equate to the same for DPI. To be considered in 2002, a DESA-NGO must have had their app completed by June 2001. Obviously, DPI may be different, or may have been different in the late 80s/early 90s.

It might be interesting to know both the exact date of the WTS's original application, as well as the exact date of approval, so such dates can be compared to Awake articles during 1989-91.

WILL THE NEXT UNDPI CALLERS PLEASE TRY TO FIND OUT THESE TWO DATES?

Hawkaw, thanks for all your efforts!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

All resolutions concerning NGOs and the UN come from the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.

Here is their web site and I am reading their resolutions back to the 1980s. Of course the May 23, 1968 resolution (1296(XLIV)) is not listed.

( http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/ecosoc/

Mad Apostate - Glad you are back. I am in the archives at the following url.

( http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/ecosoc/archives.htm

p.s. - I will be leaving and not coming back till Tuesday so you and the others may have to go through them too.

Again sorry about that other post. These NGO's at the UN are tought to figure out sometimes.

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Mad A and others here is resolution 1996/31 dealing with NGOs and the UN

( http://www.un.org/documents/ecosoc/res/1996/eres1996-31.htm

In it introduction note the other past resolutions. This might help.

The Economic and Social Council,

Recalling Article 71 of the Charter of the United Nations,

Recalling also its resolution 1993/80 of 30 July 1993, in which it requested a general review of arrangements for consultation with non-governmental organizations, with a view to updating, if necessary, Council resolution 1296 (XLIV) of 23 May 1968, as well as introducing coherence in the rules governing the participation of non-governmental organizations in international conferences convened by the United Nations, and also an examination of ways and means of improving practical arrangements for the work of the Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations and the Non-Governmental Organizations Section of the Secretariat,

Recalling further its decision 1995/304 of 26 July 1995,

Confirming the need to take into account the full diversity of the non-governmental organizations at the national, regional and international levels,

Acknowledging the breadth of non-governmental organizations' expertise and the capacity of non-governmental organizations to support the work of the United Nations,

Taking into account the changes in the non-governmental sector, including the emergence of a large number of national and regional organizations,

Calling upon the governing bodies of the relevant organizations, bodies and specialized agencies of the United Nations system to examine the principles and practices relating to their consultations with non-governmental organizations and to take action, as appropriate, to promote coherence in the light of the provisions of the present resolution,

Approves the following update of the arrangements set out in its resolution 1296 (XLIV) of 23 May 1968:

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Here is General Review Decision 1995/304 dealing with NGOs

( http://www.un.org/documents/ecosoc/dec/1995/edec1995-304.htm

There is a lot more decisions in this area relating to NGO.

hawk

• messenger
    messenger

Would the WT use UN DPI information in their publications? It appears they started in 1998. Why is this important? It shows a connection to an ongoing relationship that was progressive. How did WT get DPI photos? Why only the Awake? Does this show a connection to the Awake writing department? Why is the Awake writing department using the NGO connection it appears to have to publish DPI photos?

Would the WT go to the Catholic Church for material to publish in the Awake? If not, why the wild beast?

Below are listed the sources of where WT used DPI materials in their publications:

*** g99 7/22 3 The World Is Growing Grayer ***
    Credit Lines]
    UN photo
    UN/DPI photo by Milton Grant

*** g99 4/8 6 The Crisis Is Worldwide ***
    Picture on page 6]
    An explosive device maimed this boy’s right hand
    [Credit Line]
    UN/DPI Photo by Armineh Johannes

*** g99 9/22 13 When the Rain Does Not Come ***
    [Picture Credit Line on page 13]
    UN/DPI Photo by Evan Schneider

*** g98 11/22 5 A "Long Job Finished" ***
    UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan
    [Credit Line]
    UN/DPI photo by Evan Schneider (Feb97)

*** g98 11/22 6 A View From the 29th Floor ***
    [Picture on page 6]
    Elsa Stamatopoulou
    [Credit Line]
    UN/DPI photo by J. Isaac

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Mess:

DPI stands for "Department of Public Information".

The WBTS has likely obtained info from DPI for many years prior to being formally "associated".

Just glancing at the 10/1/95 Watchtower which has 5 DPI quotes on page 4.

• truth1
    truth1

I just called the Society gain. I was told that they are still researching this matter.

• messenger
    messenger

If you use the 99 CD and type in DPI under search, nothing comes up till 1998. So if they used the DPI before it makes no recognition on the CD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit