Hello everyone,

first of all thank you for your

contribution to this IMPORTANT thread.

Troubled: You've raised good questions and I can see

that already Hawkaw has answered by giving a reminder

of the U.N. NGO's requirements.

Seeker also gave you good points to think about, with

very logical and factual reasoning.

WTlies: Thanks for the reminder with the w 1.5.95!

As it is still taught in the congregations - worldwide -

the United Nations are , according to the WTBS,

" the disgusting thing ..."

Kent: thanks for the link about Zambia. I'm sure that

many here had no knowledge of the Zambia's Association

of JW, and also - Aidafrique -

Btw, I've asked a frien of mine to post you, some

material. You should receive it soon.

DBeetle: My compliments for the research. a very, very

useful in this context. Btw I'm preparing a comparison

with the w 1.10.95 - the part " THE CHRISTIAN VIEW OF

THE UNITED NATIONS" with some " caustic quotes "

of the WTBS on the U.N.. I will post it soon, and I'm

sure it won't be a waste of time but quite useful.

Amnesian: thanks fot the good suggestions.

I do agree 100% with your concise, factual but...sad

conclusion of your post:

"I vacillate daily between fury and sadness, deep regret and back again to fury as "new light gets brighter" about the religion I once trusted as the one and only truth."

I'm sure that ...we are not the only ones to feel

this way. Thanks again.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello again,

these few lines to thank

Outnfree, Msil, Ozziepost and Bluesapphire for their

appreciation - and I should add their contribution -

to this thread. It is nice to be able to contact

so many.

Greeting to you all, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• messenger
    messenger

per request I am reposting this here.
    The following are Quotes from the Daniel book and the Proclaimers book. Did the WT really not support the UN in 1919? Read the Quote from the Watchtower of January 1919 and decide for yourself.
    *** dp 297-303 17 Identifying True Worshipers in the Time of the End ***
    22 What, though, about the second condition—the “placing,” or installation, of “the disgusting thing that is causing desolation”? As we saw in our discussion of Daniel 11:31, this disgusting thing was first the League of Nations and reemerged later as the United Nations. Both are disgusting in that they have been heralded as the only hope for peace on earth. Thus, in the hearts of many, these institutions actually take the place of God’s Kingdom! The League was officially proposed in January 1919. At that time, then, both conditions of Daniel 12:11 were met. So the 1,290 days began in early 1919 and ran until the autumn (Northern Hemisphere) of 1922.
    23 During that time, did the holy ones make progress toward becoming whitened and cleansed in God’s eyes? They certainly did! In March 1919 the president of the Watch Tower Society and his close associates were released from prison. They were later exonerated of the false charges against them. Aware that their work was far from over, they got busy immediately, organizing a convention for September 1919. In the same year, a companion magazine to The Watch Tower was first published. Originally called The Golden Age (now Awake!), it has always supported The Watchtower in fearlessly exposing the corruption of this world and in helping God’s people to remain clean. By the end of the foretold 1,290 days, the holy ones were well on the way to a cleansed and restored standing. In September 1922, right about the time when this period ended, they held a landmark convention at Cedar Point, Ohio, U.S.A. It gave tremendous impetus to the preaching work. However, there was still a need for making more progress. That remained for the next marked period.

*** jv 707-8 31 How Chosen and Led by God ***
    In addition to their view of the Bible, in what other ways did the early Bible Students associated with Russell stand out as different?

It should not be overlooked that when other religious groups were hailing the League of Nations and, later, the United Nations, Jehovah’s Witnesses proclaimed God’s Kingdom—not any man-made organization—as mankind’s only hope.

*** jv 192 14 "They Are No Part of the World" ***
    A Political Expression of God’s Kingdom?
    A peace treaty, including the Covenant of the League of Nations, was signed in Versailles, France, on June 28, 1919. Even before that peace treaty was signed, the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America went on record as proclaiming that the League would be “the political expression of the Kingdom of God on earth.” And the U.S. Senate received an avalanche of mail from religious groups urging it to ratify the Covenant of the League of Nations.
    Jehovah’s Witnesses did not jump on the bandwagon. Even before the peace treaty was confirmed (in October), J. F. Rutherford gave a discourse at Cedar Point, Ohio, on September 7, 1919, in which he showed that not the League of Nations but the Kingdom set up by God himself is the only hope for distressed humanity. While acknowledging that a human alliance to improve conditions could accomplish much good, those Bible Students were not turning their backs on God’s own Kingdom in exchange for a political expedient set up by politicians and blessed by the clergy. Instead, they undertook the work of giving a global witness concerning the Kingdom that God had placed in the hands of Jesus Christ. (Rev. 11:15; 12:10) In The Watch Tower of July 1, 1920, it was explained that this was the work that Jesus had foretold at Matthew 24:14.

THE WATCH TOWER, Vol. 7, February 15, 1919, page 6389, par. 2.

"We cannot but admire the high principles embodied in the proposed League of Nations, formulated undoubtedly by those who have no knowledge of the great plan of God. This fact makes all the more wonderful the ideals which they express. For instance, it has been made plain by President Wilson and the advocates of his ideas that the proposed League of Nations is more than merely a league to enforce peace. They would not have us consider it to exclusively from the standpoint of politics or of military relations. It should be considered as fully from the economic and social points of view. The President's idea seems to be that the League of Nations which he proposes would stand for WORLD SERVICE [caps mine] rather than mere world regulation in the military sense, and that the very smallest of nations shall be participants in its every arrangement. In other words, his idea undoubtedly is that the league shall not be established merely for the purpose of promoting peace by threat or coercion; but that its purpose, when put into operation, will be to make all nations of earth one great family, working together for the common benefit in all the avenues of national life. Truly this is idealistic, and approximates in a small way that which God has foretold that he will bring about after this great time of trouble."

Isn't it interesting that in the February 1919 issue of THE WATCH TOWER the leaders of the Watch Tower organization publicly admired the principles embodied in the proposed League of Nations. The Covenant of the League of Nations was signed on June 28, 1919, and even before it was signed the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America proclaimed that the League would be "the political expression of the Kingdom of God on earth." Proclaimers Book, page 192. So the question begs to be answered, who first admired the League of Nations – the Federal Council of Churches of Christ in America, who Rutherford implied represented all the big, bad clergy -- or the WATCH TOWER?

• metatron
    metatron

I can remember when the WTS took a wad of cash (70K??)
    from the U.N. for relief of refugees from Malawi during
    the 70's. We thought it was kinda weird but if you think of them
    as just another government offering free money, it didn't
    seem so bad. I think some brother was questioned for doing
    cleaning or maintenance at the U.N. back then (Zelda Chyke
    gossiped about this ??).

We were all just suckers, I guess

metatron

• nelly136
    nelly136

I just put UN then United nations in the search engine on the official http://www.watchtower.org website, I guess they are living up to their obligations pretty well, didnt get round to checking http://www.jw-media.com
    nelly

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Troubled,
    Someone may have already pointed this out to you but what if you were to find out that the requirements for joining as a NGO were different back in 1991? Would that fact make you feel that it is okay that the WT is associated in any way with the UN in view of what they have always taught us about the UN?
    Just think, they have cow if they find out a witness is associating with worldly people, even if they are family it’s looked down on!!

The bottom line is this; there is NO justification for what they have done!

I also wanted to tell you that I understand you wanting answers from the elders and WT on this matter however I must warn you that you will be disappointed in their response.
    I’ve seen this happen over and over with other issues.
    I’m not telling you not to try but you need to get info from all sides not just WT.
    I’m sure you’ll do that though or you wouldn’t be here in the first place.
    Ranchette

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I was just thinking: If they are booted out and a press release is made, it would be excellent.

But an even BETTER outcome would be that the Watchtower would perhaps be viewed as a cult by the UN. So they would a) get booted out, thus ruining their reputation and b) all the other nations would know about their duplicity and finally c) where the UN has supported the WTS in their cause to qualify as a "legitimate" religion, they will probably understand and view them in the same light as nations such as France. Just think, maybe even the nation of Bulgaria will investigate to see if they were also duped (which they were).

If the WTS loses its status as a religion in most countries it will have to pay taxes! Just think how they are going to "grind their teeth" when that happens! That, plus the swarm of lawsuits could break them.

And one final thought: Couldn't we ask a loyal dub, "Isn't the disgusting thing supposed to turn on 'FALSE religion'? Well, since it's turning on only the WTS, doesn't that mean IT is false religion?"

Run Watchtower Run
    To the lurkers: Be careful big boys, you're grinding your teeth to the bone!

Hahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahahahahah

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

bluesapphire

<"And one final thought: Couldn't we ask a loyal dub, "Isn't the disgusting thing supposed to turn on 'false religion'? Well, since it's turning on only the WTS, doesn't that mean it IS false religion?"">

THAT sent chills down my spine. That's reeeaaallly scary....

Dungbeetle...so much dung, so little time...

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Hawkaw: with regard to this comment you made, "...if you, as a Witness, voluntarily decide to wave the UN flag or voluntarily support its charter etc. you get disassociated."

LOOKS LIKE THE WATCHTOWER SOCIET DISASSOCIATED ITSELF!

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Everyone,
    Now that Wt is under review by the UN, I’m wondering just exactly what callers will be told now when they call.
    Will they say, yes they are a NGO but no farther info can be given at this time?
    I’m hoping they will at least confirm their status at this time because of all the witnesses that may be calling in.
    If anyone hears what a random caller is being told please share.
    I see what Hawk was told today but they know him now.
    I want to know what all the people we’ve referred to them will be told now.
    Ranchette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit