Bethel "Vow of Poverty" documents scanned.

by What-A-Coincidence 49 Replies latest jw friends

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Vow of Poverty scanned from 2002 documents. I believe these are the latest ones unless someone has a newer one. I posted these in another thread but I thought it deserved its own.

OCRd with 98% accuracy...

Initial Cover Page 1 of 4

VOW OF OBEDIENCE AND POVERTYto the
    ORDER OF SPECIAL FULL-TIME SERVANTS OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

As an ordained minister, wholly dedicated to Jehovah God. I hereby express my solemn desire to be recognized as a member of the worldwide Order of Special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah's Witnesses ("the Order"). I vow as follows:

1. While a member of the Order, to live the simple, nonmaterialistic life-style that has traditionally existed for members of the Order;

2. In the spirit of the inspired words of the prophet Isaiah (Isaiah 6:8) and the prophetic expression of the psalmist (Psalm 110:3), to volunteer my services to do whatever is assigned to me in the advancement of Kingdom interests wherever I am assigned by the Order;

3. To be submissive to the theocratic arrangement for members of the Order (Hebrews 13:17);

4. To devote my best full-time efforts to my assignment;

5. To abstain from secular employment without permission from the Order;

6. To turn over to the local organization of the Order all income received from any work or personal efforts in excess of my necessary living expenses, unless released from this vow by the Order;

7. To accept such provisions for members of the Order (be they meals, lodging, expense reimbursements, or others) as are made in the country where I serve. regardless of the level of my responsibility or the value of my services;

8. To be content and satisfied with the modest support that I receive from the Order as long as I am privileged to serve in the Order and not to expect any further remuneration should I choose to leave the Order or should the Order determine that I no longer qualify to serve in the Order (Matthew 6:30-33: 1 Timothy 6:6-8; Hebrews 13:5);

9. To abide by the principles set out in God's inspired Word, the Bible. in publications of Jehovah's Witnesses. and in policies dispensed by the Order, and to follow the directions of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses; and

10. To accept readily any decision made by the Order regarding my membership status.

Date____________________ Signature__________________

Name (please print legibly)__________________

PAGE 2 OF 4
    RELIGIOUS ORDER
    OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES
    25 Columbia Heights • Brooklyn, NY 11201-2483 • U.S.A. • Phone: (718) 560-7000
    BA January 1,2002
    TO ALL SPECIAL FULL-TIME SERVANTS IN THE UNITED STATES
    Re: Vow of Obedience and Poverty
    Dear Brothers and Sisters:
    Under the care and direction of the "faithful and discreet slave" (Matthew 24:45-47),
    those in special full-time service have always led a life wholly devoted to Kingdom interests.
    Your desire to serve in this capacity calls to mind the example of the Nazirites of old who
    separated themselves from the day-to-day concerns of the dedicated Jewish nation in general and,
    by taking a vow, undertook special service to Jehovah.—Genesis 49:26 footnote; Numbers 6:1-8;
    Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2, pp. 477-8.
    Similarly, special full-time servants are known worldwide, by the brotherhood and even
    by those who do not serve Jehovah, for living lives dedicated full time to supporting and
    spearheading the all-important Kingdom proclamation work and in caring for the needs of the
    congregation. This is in contrast with most of our brothers and sisters who are required to
    balance Kingdom interests with necessary secular employment of one kind or another. Although
    the work of those in special full-time service began in the late 1800's, for some time now those
    serving in this manner have been known as members of the Order of Special Full-Time Servants
    (the "Order").
    You have previously signed a "Vow of Poverty," which is on file with the branch office.
    However, as you know, our religious order was recently incorporated as a separate legal entity in
    the United States. The name of the corporation is the Religious Order of Jehovah's Witnesses,
    and the name that will be used for the order is Order of Special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah's
    Witnesses. Because of the formation of this new legal entity and for several other reasons, the
    Governing Body has directed that everyone currently in the Order should take and sign a revised
    Vow of Obedience and Poverty ("Vow"). Enclosed are two copies of the revised Vow. You
    should prayerfully consider each portion of the Vow. If you are in agreement with it, then you
    should sign and date both copies and return one to the branch office by January 31, 2002. You
    should retain the other signed copy for your file.
    Why is it appropriate for all in the Order to take and sign this Vow? Doing so
    demonstrates willingness on the part of every member of the Order to serve under the direction of
    the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses in an arrangement through which they can devote
    their full-time efforts to advancing Kingdom interests. (Isaiah 6:8) It documents the
    understanding through which each member of the Order provides his services, something that

Page 3 of 4
    assists governmental agencies to understand better the self-sacrificing rather than pecuniary
    motivation of those who serve in special full-time service. Reading prayerfully and signing the
    enclosed Vow demonstrates that members of the Order are committed to live simple,
    nonmaterialistic lives of service to Jehovah and our brothers. Having all members of the Order
    sign the Vow helps to avoid misunderstandings and confusion that might occur if some have
    signed the Vow and others have not.
    All in the Order, members of the worldwide Bethel family, missionaries, special pioneers,
    traveling overseers and their wives, Assembly Hall overseers and their wives, international
    servants, and Kingdom Hall construction servants, are subject to the provisions set forth in the
    Vow. Although the enclosed Vow contains some changes to the document you previously
    signed, the Governing Body has made no change in the structure of your work nor has it
    mandated a change in the life-style of those in special full-time service. However, some
    expressions in the revised Vow may be new to some of you and therefore should be explained.
    A religious order is an arrangement to accomplish a common religious, rather than profit-
    motivated, goal. Members of the order agree to work toward its accomplishment, often under a
    segregated arrangement. In the case of members of the Order of Special Full-Time Servants of
    Jehovah's Witnesses, membership requirements include a whole-souled desire to devote all of
    one's energies to the advancement of Kingdom interests, following the principles set out in
    God's Word, the Bible, and the directions of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. All
    live in unity of religious purpose and adhere to a common set of rules.
    What is involved in serving under the simple Vow? It means that those in special full-
    time service have formally entered into an arrangement in which they agree to expend their full-
    time efforts toward the advancement of a religious goal. It also means that they are doing so
    without any expectation of being paid, as one would be in a secular setting. Members can enter
    into this arrangement because the Order sees to it that each member's basic necessities of life are
    cared for. Although the term "poverty" is used in the Vow, this does not mean that the
    Governing Body is asking you to relinquish ownership in property that you now possess or that
    you may acquire in the future. Rather, this expression means that you agree to forego the
    expectation of being paid for your endeavors while serving in the Order and that you also agree
    to not seek gainful employment while serving in the Order. As those of you who have devoted
    many years to special full-time service can verify, this is the arrangement under which special
    full-time servants have been living for many years, even prior to the time when this arrangement
    was formally documented through the signing of a previous vow.
    Concerning point six of the Vow, sources of income other than work are not affected by
    being under this Vow. It does not pertain to income such as interest from bank accounts or
    bonds, dividends from stocks, rent received from property owned by the member, and other

Page 4 of 4
    income unrelated to present personal efforts. It does not apply to gifts, inheritances, or
    other
    unsolicited benefits, which a member of the Order may receive from time to time. Any of you
    who are receiving income from possessions arenot required to turn these monies over to the
    Order, although you should be aware that (his income is no doubt subject to taxation.
    In summary, reading prayerfully and signing the Vow does not mean that you cannot own
    property or that you have determined to donate all your material possesions to the Order. Rather,
    it documents that you have agreed to serve Jehovah as a special full-time servant, serving in
    cooperation with others in the Order, without expectation of financial gain. and that you have
    determined to refrain from any gainful activity while in Jehovah's special full-time service.
    We are pleased to present you with this direction from the Governing Body and trust that
    this letter answers anv questions you may have. However, please feel free to write to the branch
    office if you have any remaining inquiries.
    Please be assured of our warm Christian love and best wishes in your service.

• Think
    Think

Remaind me of communizm. That is why communizm fallen in Europe and changed into ruthless no mercy, cruel totalitarian capitalism/dictatorship into another parts of the world.

There is how we divide the product od labor:

You, the laborer get 1.

We, the masters for giving you the privilege to work for us get 1,000.

So,as you can see, working for Rapetower, you working for YOURSELF, for your SALVATION .

• scotsman
    scotsman

Is there a similar vow for Bethelites in non USA territories?

• Think
    Think

Now, I have to ask the question, if Jesus Christ also asked his disciples to sign this "Most greedy ever" contract agreement ???

I am sure, if we dig just long and deep in the earth around Jerusalem, we will find many copies of the rare documents like this " Pearl of pearls of GB wisdom " on papirus or catle skin or stone tablets !!!

Just keep digging and keep following the " energizer bunny" !!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes I can not imagine Christ would have signed one of these. All legalese these days - further proof da lawyers are running everything

• one
    one

what about previous vows?,

are they the same?

do you think they all obey?

what do yo think GB, CO, DO tax returns look like ? (if any)

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Nope. Not all obeyed. Many did (still do) work on the side (g-jobs) as they were called. I believe they (WTBTS) were scared of lawsuits if you worked while you were on your vow. Cause if you worked for someone on the side and you got hurt - they could sue the society. So the WTBTS says you can work and make money on the side when you are off your vow, which means when you are on vacation. When you are on vacation your are off your vow.

• garybuss
    garybuss

"Off your vow" ??? So does that work with baptisms too? Try that on the elders at your next judicial committee and see how high that flies. Sorry brothers, that counsel doesn't apply, I was "off my vow". Hahaha!!!! Awesome!

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie
    members of the worldwide Bethel family, missionaries, special pioneers,

traveling overseers and their wives, Assembly Hall overseers and their wives, international

servants, and Kingdom Hall construction servants, are subject to the provisions set forth in the

Vow.

"Construction servants are subject to the provisions set forth in the vow." Maybe people who are sub-contractors in the building and construction industry should create a bogus non-profit organization and have their crew take on such a vow, that way if any "construction servant" has a work-related injury there is no worker's compensation to pay and no financial resposibility towards workers who become incapacitated from getting hurt on the job.

Now that the meaning of 1914 is rather obscure, the thousands of people who took this vow and served for a good number of years will eventually realize that they have forfeited 401k plans as well as payments into social security which could come in handy right about now. Their future golden years in this system of things doesn't look so good. These people were betrayed and will probably live in destitute conditions in their old age still clinging to the failed promise that "millions now living will never die." So sad.

YC

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if I repeat someone else's comment, but this doesn't seem too out of line to me. Any religious order would have a vow of some kind like this. Seems like they are pretty upfront about what you can expect. Just goes to show you should be really, really careful about committing your life away to an organization!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit